Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Gilguls and vamps mean the number of Avatars in the universe is slowly decreasing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
    Thought on Gilgul... doesn't it seem kind of Qlippothic by nature?

For Gilgul to work, you need to degrade and fracture the seed of creation and cast it into nothingness. I mean you might not describe it like that, but you are blending up a Mage's primal spiritual power and throwing it out of known reality. Sounds pretty Qlippothic.

So... as a potential twist for a Mage game... Gilgul is a Qlippothic rote. The act relies entirely on a Descension based paradigm, and it can only be performed if you are tainted by the force of undoing.

"That's absurd. That would mean that all of the senior Mages in the Traditions who have performed the rite are-"

"... Go on?" The stranger smiles as the penny drops.

"Oh no."
    So if a Tradition Mage considers it true or possible that Gilgul is a rote put into the Traditions by "those evil Nephandi", then the rote suddenly provokes an "Oh no" reaction ( From I assume a startled Tradition Mage...who is the smiling stranger, anyway ? ) and shouldn't be used ? Shouldn't Tradition Mages figure out by themselves that something like Gilgul should not be done at all ; rather than needing a "related to the Nephandi" reason to try to make it so that it is not used at all on anyone by Tradition Mages ?
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 05-14-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
      So if a Tradition Mage considers it true or possible that Gilgul is a rote put into the Traditions by "those evil Nephandi", then the rote suddenly provokes an "Oh no" reaction ( From I assume a startled Tradition Mage...who is the smiling stranger, anyway ? ) and shouldn't be used ? Shouldn't Tradition Mages figure out by themselves that something like Gilgul should not be done at all ; rather than needing a "related to the Nephandi" reason to try to make it so that it is not used at all on anyone by Tradition Mages ?
      Let me give you a hint:
      The "Oh No" was not a response to Gilgul being a bad thing...

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
      cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
      EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
        The idea is that in order to use the rote, you *must* be Fallen. He's responding to that with an "oh no" since he is aware that many high-ranking Mages in the Traditions have been known to use the power in extreme circumstances. Such a twist would only be appropriate in a Nephandic Victory metaplot, however, where they have subverted and infected almost everything to the point of victory.

Furthermore, the rote being tainted would call into question its use entirely. If the rote were Nephandic in origin, then what happens to the Inverted Avatars who are subjected to it? Are we to believe they are destroyed? Or do they simply recycle, creating Widderslainte?

And what about pure Avatars who are simply being cast out because of the crimes of their Mage? Are they utterly destroyed? That's bad enough but what if Gilgul were an elaborate way of sending an Avatar to the Cauls? I think a really great ST should be ready to add behind-the-scenes secrets which aren't in the books, to add mystery for those who have read everything.
        Last edited by 11twiggins; 05-14-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

First, I don't think Gilgul is stated as annihilating an Avatar. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it involves shredding the Avatar, then casting those shreds to the four winds. If that were true, then Gilgul wouldn't require Qlippothic magic.

Second, the Nephandi do not have a monopoly on the concept of destruction. Destruction - even obliteration - can fit into any number of different Paradigms, and not be this grand statement or value judgement. The Nephandi have their Qlippothic Spheres because they've been SO twisted, they can ONLY destroy. Annihilation isn't just a concept to them, it's the only concept that matters.

If regular characters can use high level Prime to unmake objects (or people), and not automatically Descend, then the people behind Gilgul are probably fine.

Although, given that Gilgul is so often used against them specifically, I can totally see Nephandi spreading the IDEA that performing the rite automatically makes a mage Fall. Both to make mages squeemish about learning and/or using it, and to sow dissent in the ranks of other sects by making mages distrustful of their leaders. As well as to perhaps trick mages who HAVE performed the rite into entering the Cauls, on the grounds that they've been lead to believe they are already doomed. This seems like just the kind of con the Nephandi would pull, in the name of their war against everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
            Although, given that Gilgul is so often used against them specifically, I can totally see Nephandi spreading the IDEA that performing the rite automatically makes a mage Fall. Both to make mages squeemish about learning and/or using it, and to sow dissent in the ranks of other sects by making mages distrustful of their leaders. As well as to perhaps trick mages who HAVE performed the rite into entering the Cauls, on the grounds that they've been lead to believe they are already doomed. This seems like just the kind of con the Nephandi would pull, in the name of their war against everything.
            Yeah, there are a few ways to spin this. Think of it like the Nephandic Victory metaplot.

1: The Nephandi are in control of the two sects, and have practically won at this point. Good luck.

2: The Nephandi have some control over the two sects, yes, but they are far from victory.

3: The Nephandi have not got any significant control of the Traditions or Technocracy... but they would love you to think that they did. The Disparates and other Mages believing that (1) or (2) is true is likely the result of Nephandic influence in 3. To quote M20; "isn't paranoia fun!"

So for this Gilgul idea...

1: Gilgul is a rote which is arguably evil, and is clearly very nasty, but it has not intrinsic link to the Nephandi. However, Nephandi will happily spread the idea that using Gilgul corrupts the soul and dooms a Mage, that Nephandic Avatars are immune to Gilgul in reality and will simply return (stronger!), and that other Avatars subjugated to the rite are in fact being sent to the Cauls. Furthermore, they might claim that innocent Mages who have used the rote *are* fallen to promote infighting.

2: Gilgul does push a Mage towards becoming corrupted in some sense, possibly culminating in becoming a Nephandus. Part of the Nephandi's "5D Chess" is tricking the Traditions into using it on pawns and the horrific patsies they put out onto the board.

3: Gilgul is a Nephandic rote. In order to use it you must already be Fallen. Yes, that means (1) or (2) from the Nephandic Victory metaplot must be true, and has been true for quite a while now.

Comment

I just found this thread and the discussion ist interesting. I´ll try to revive this. Here are my thoughts on this:

The Gilgul Rite was invented by the Order of Hermes, namely Guernicus the first of House Quaesitor and checked by Bonisagus himself. That´s why the Rite or rote itself cannot be nephandic. It is even arguable that it really destroys the Avatar as the Tradition Book states the reluctance of the mages at the time to destroy something made by God/ the Creator.
              The original description of the Rite, as recorded by the Order, was: " dissmisses the offenders immortal Soul to another plane, there to face judgement of the Creator, rendering him like unto an animal an thus incapable of even the lowliest act of mystic prowess."

The intention of Guernicus however was to destroy it, So it is difficult to say what really happens with the Avatar after the Rite.
              If it was Qlippothic the whole orders foundation had to be nephandic. I argue that they were not xD

What do you think?
              Last edited by Gabriel; 07-07-2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

​​Rules as written, Gilgul isn't Qlippothic. So don't worry about that.

Gilgul can't be Qlippothic, RAW, because it's mentioned as something you can do with Spirit 5 in the Basic - if a player has Spirit 5 and no problem conceptualizing avatar destruction within Paradigm (regardless if that's regarded as evil or not), he's has every right to roll his dice to do a Gilgul. Answering: "well, you need to get an inverted avatar before you can do that" would be against the rules (unless you make a house rule) because magick that's explicitly mentioned under a Sphere entry never needs any other "material" or "prerequisite" to be casted (unless Paradigm deems it necessary, and Paradigm it's entirely under player's control)

The whole: Gilgul is Qlippothic it's a hack to create a particular narrative that may be interesting to build a story. Under that hack, what Hermetics would preffer to believe doesn't matter: The Traditions were leaded by Nephandi from the very beginning and most or all the OoH Founders were Nephandi. But of course that's not canon. It's just a way to use the setting in a slightly different way.

And about souls being permanently destroyed or not - that's a mystery for the Storyteller to decide, as you say.

Comment

Working...
                X