Real Life Examples for the Traditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Life Examples for the Traditions

hare are good examples of real life people, if who awakened to magic, would would fit the WODdescription of one the Traditions. Here's my list:
    Ahkasic Brotherhood: Bruce Lee ,Ben Kenobi (yeah not a Real)

Celestial Chorus: Guardian s of the Veil in Labarynth , can't recognize them for the Veil

Order of Hermes: Uncle Al , John Dee , these people can right next to you but they maintain the Veil so well you can't recognize them,

Cult of Ecstasy: Timothy Leary ,
    Dreamspeakers: Nostradamus , Black Elk ,Don Castaneda

Sons of Ether: Albert Einstein , Tesla , Buckminster Fuller ,
    Of note I require my players have a some knowledge of math , physics , and Chemistry if they want this kind of of character. I don't know of any way to understand matter without also understanding forces.

Verbena: Dick Gregory, , Paleidian Ayrovedics on YouTube

Virtual Adepts: Snowdon ,Julian Assange

Euthanatos: OK In have never really understood this tradition , so real life examples will be really helpful for me.

Hollow One: Emmet Grogan , Goth Magic has kicked their ass and they do the best they can fighting hopelessness. The acknowledge the the superior god of the universe is not benevolent and enjoys experiencing the suffering of the world.

It's a long post to be continued
    Last edited by Thinking_Point; 04-21-2018, 06:33 PM. Reason: Typos

Originally posted by Thinking_Point View Post
    Euthanatos: OK In have never really understood this tradition , so real life examples will be really helpful for me.
    This might be inspirational.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

Comment

Einstine was definitely a technocrat. His work actually shut down the concept of ether from the consensus.

Also, your rules on etherites are incredibly stifling. Why should an etherise adhear their theories to Technocratic concsensus? Perhaps they believe in flogestine or other alchemical methods. Perhaps they believe that matter is just a physical echo of the metaphysical constants which Plato eluded to, but Science! can fully extrapolate.
      Perhaps they consider matter to actually be a form of life that has slowed down by the universal constant. L=M/C^2 if you will, which in this case is just the inverse speed of light.
      Or maybe they consider matter to be thought made actual, because all the universe is made up by the vibrations of z-waves elongated onto the fifth plane of existence.

Even still, perhaps Matter has nothing to do with Forces at all, even if they believe in Technocratic chemistry, the idea of extrapolating it into Technocratic physics is nonsensical. Perhaps matter and Forces are completely separate entities, matter holds itself together because the atoms are interacting by ether strength gels. Electromagnetism is just the phenomenon of long strands of ether strength gel (ESG) lines forming between the substances. Matter allows you to shape the atoms and mild the ESG, but it is completely separate from phenomena like electromagnetism, which instead could be a result of statically charged vandervall Forces, which have no connection to ESG at all.

Math might also be irrelevant. Perhaps the world does not function on numbers, but on language, and so their calculations resemble something closer to cryptic crosswords. Or perhaps they do magic by contacting seances or using mystical artefacts they obtains during excavations. They understand the secrets of geometric universe theory, and so their magic resembles an augmented form of hermetic ritual.
      Last edited by Saikou; 04-22-2018, 08:22 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post

This might be inspirational.
        This sect is referenced as Cult of Ecstasy. The Euthanatos are the servants of fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

This sect is referenced as Cult of Ecstasy. The Euthanatos are the servants of fate.
          Shit. Really? CoE? Huh.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
          (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
          ").

Comment

Etherites: Andrew Weil, Aaron Wakefield, Michael Behe, Deepak Chopra

Remember, there's no such thing as pseudoscience in Mage, just vulgar science!

Timothy Leary also strikes me as more of an Etherite than an Ecstatic. Ken Kesey was an Ecstatic. Richard Alpert was a Dreamspeaker. Jerry Garcia was a Hollow One. Albert Hofmann was a Progenitor. Charles Manson was obviously a Nephandus.

Psychedelics were something the Technocrats had high hopes for, but its only success was creating a schism within the Traditions that helped discredit them. Well, and also earning the NWO some bad press for that MK Ultra business. Which is why pretty much everyone now considers it a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
              Shit. Really? CoE? Huh.
              ​Yes, but both CoX and Euthanatos use ecstatic rites. Still, that cultic group was listed in the CoX book as an extreme sect which rejects the code of Ananda.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sluagh View Post
                Etherites: Andrew Weil, Aaron Wakefield, Michael Behe, Deepak Chopra

Remember, there's no such thing as pseudoscience in Mage, just vulgar science!

Timothy Leary also strikes me as more of an Etherite than an Ecstatic. Ken Kesey was an Ecstatic. Richard Alpert was a Dreamspeaker. Jerry Garcia was a Hollow One. Albert Hofmann was a Progenitor. Charles Manson was obviously a Nephandus.

Psychedelics were something the Technocrats had high hopes for, but its only success was creating a schism within the Traditions that helped discredit them. Well, and also earning the NWO some bad press for that MK Ultra business. Which is why pretty much everyone now considers it a bust.
                ​Timothy Leary is clearly a Child of Knowledge. CoK is all about using drugs to expand consciousness. Yoga through chemistry is both Timothy Leary and the Children of Knowledge.

Comment

The modern version of the Etherite would be the people who believe in ancient astronauts teaching humanity how to build the pyramids and stuff like that. The image of the experimenter in his basement creating miracles hasn't had a real-world analogue in a long time. The closest equivalent would be the sort of computer design experimenters who fit in more with the Virtual Adept model than Etherites.

Comment

People who would fit in or otherwise serve as suitable inspiration for characters in the Celestial Chorus: (I'm taking certain liberties here, as the Chorus would be considered heretical by most conventional Judea-Christian and Muslim religious sects) St. Francis of Assisi, Joan of Arc, Saint Veronica Giuliani, John Wesley, CS Lewis, Martin Luther King Jr, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Dorothy Day, St. Augustine of Hippo, Baha'u'llah, Mazdak the Younger, Al-Muqtana Baha'uddun, Sultan Sahik, Mani, George Fox, Guru Nanak,

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

​Timothy Leary is clearly a Child of Knowledge. CoK is all about using drugs to expand consciousness. Yoga through chemistry is both Timothy Leary and the Children of Knowledge.
                      On a similar note, the Verbena are all about self-mutilation. Any Mage who self-harms is Verbena, regardless of paradigm. Sorry, so-called "Hollow Ones", if you own a razor blade that isn't for shaving, you're actually Verbena, just like every peyote-popping Dreamspeaker and microdosing Mercurial Elite is really a deluded Child of Knowledge.

I pegged Leary as an Etherite because he was a rogue scientist who was a strict philosophical materialist, but thought that psychedelics had serious medicinal potential. His biggest reason for opposing prohibition was because of how it pushed psychedelics underground where there was no space to do them in a controlled, supervised way -- and where the Children of Knowledge reigned. He would have had allies in the CoK, sure, as well as enemies. But his paradigm was Etherite all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sluagh View Post

On a similar note, the Verbena are all about self-mutilation. Any Mage who self-harms is Verbena, regardless of paradigm. Sorry, so-called "Hollow Ones", if you own a razor blade that isn't for shaving, you're actually Verbena, just like every peyote-popping Dreamspeaker and microdosing Mercurial Elite is really a deluded Child of Knowledge.
                        By that logic, any technomancer is actually a technocrat, and anyone using Quintessence is really a deluded spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
                          By that logic, any technomancer is actually a technocrat, and anyone using Quintessence is really a deluded spirit.
                          I believe that's precisely the point; it doesn't make sense. They're arguing that your Tradition is more complex than simply the 'foci' you're know for. Leary should be an Etherite because of his worldview, not simply that the guy is known for using drugs.

Comment

I must have misread the post.
                            Sorry.

Comment

Sir Isaac Newton presents an interesting example of a figure who easily and simultaneously inspires multiple different Mage groups. While Newton is most popularly known for his work in Mathematics, Physics, etc. - an impression the Technocratic Union almost certainly worked to emphasize - these studies comprised only a part of his overall body of work.

He wrote extensively on religion, alchemy, and the occult. He just never published most of this material in his lifetime, for a couple reasons.

His religious views were possibly Arian, and definitely Anti-Trinitarian. In short, Newton could, by the standards of the day, be called a Heretic, hence his reluctance to publish. Between this and his extensive work in Christian Chronology (the attempt to trace history back into a Biblical context), he'd feel right at home with the Celestial Chorus.

Given the then-contemporary view of Science (i.e. Natural Philosophy), Newton's work often bled over into the realm of natural magic, as was common at the time. He further sought knowledge from ancient sources. As such, he had much in common with the Order of Hermes, who similarly studied natural magic and put great weight on the ancientness of knowledge. He was also, allegedly, affiliated with numerous secret societies. Some claim he was a member of - or was influenced by - the Rosicrucians, a group that could, in the World of Darkness, be tied in some fashion to the Order of Hermes.

Newton's work in Alchemy - in particular his attempts to find the Philosopher's Stone - would naturally put him into alignment with the Solificati/old school Children of Knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                              X