Choosing to become a Marauder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing to become a Marauder

An idea I got: what about a (group of) mage(s) that knowingly and willingly goes Marauder, and chooses to sacrifice their sanity in order to entirely free themselves from the tyranny of Paradox and the Consensus, and grasp the banner of unchecked Dynamism? It seems to me an interesting background idea for a Robert Davenport-style low-Quiet perceptual Marauder character or group that has the insight and self-awareness to seize somewhat of a leadership role for the Mad non-faction.

The latest M20 story anthology "Truth Beyond Paradox" actually has a story of a Mage voluntarily, actively going Marauder. It is called "Dabda". I highly recommend reading it!

That said, there have been several mentions and hints about the act of becoming a Marauder is actually, at its core, a voluntary process - at least at the very end. Just like becoming a Nephandus is. Even if the game mechanics force the issue down the line of Quiet and Jhor. Then again a voluntary act might not be a concious act I guess...

Book Of Madness First Edition has a few entries that explain some parts of Marauderdom that are kept somewhat... hush-hush in later writeups, and are known to basically no Mage ICly ( and contains explanations as to why Marauders, for example, always, *always* will go after Nephandi on sight ), but are in a way called back to in "Dabda".
    I highly recommend reading that edition of the book. It spices up the metaphysics of the Marauders a bit, albeit with knowledge that no character ICly has, and probably won't get their hands on.. And a famous example of voluntary Marauderdom to escape the shackles of an ever growing Paradox-heavy world would be Maedea, the only currently known Marauder Oracle.

So yes, this works quite well, and Robert Davenport certainly isn't the only 'Invisible Marauder' out there. However, a whole group of Mages succumbing themselves voluntarily to Marauderdom? That's a toughie, and requires a lot of desparation, I think. A sole person might be able to convince themselves that it is the only way out. But a whole group? It's hard to get that done without too many voicing doubts. Hmh.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
    cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
    EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Ambrosia for those of us who are cash and time poor...

What are these secrets about Marauders? Why are they going after Nephandi with such rage?

Also, M20 Metaplot concept...

The Disparates make a big deal out of hunting Nephandi. It's their reason for banding together. They TRULY believe that the Traditions and the Technocracy are controlled by Nephandi at their highest ranks, and that corruption is a driving force for them.

What if they're right... but the Disparates are themselves corrupted by Marauders. Not many, but a few, working at the highest ranks of the organization. It's a mad idea after all; bring together the most disconnected and marginalized "traditions" of Mages in the world, and get radical feminists and the fucking *templars* and islamic alchemists and old-school chinese mystics working together towards a single goal? I mean it's awesome. The disparates are cool. But it's still a mad idea. And the fact that the sect is strongly working against the Nephandi, to me, gives the impression that "two Sects are controlled by Nephandi, secretly, and one Sect is controlled by a few powerful Marauders" would be an interesting spin on the metaplot.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins
        What are these secrets about Marauders? Why are they going after Nephandi with such rage?
        In the 1rst edition fallen mages (Technocrats were fallen too back then) were a reflection of the Triad. Maraduers were mages that made a subconscious pact with an unnamed Wyld Celestine.

The spirit gave them a Paradox shield and, in return, got to very subtly control the mages trough their Avatars, using them as a sort of Wyrm hunting drones. This control manifested by painting any Nephandi (and, to a lesser extent, Technocrat) that enters into a Marauders bubble as servants of a force idiosincratically opposed to the Marauder's own moral compass.
        For instance Marauder that beleives to be Satan would see Nephandi and BSD as angels and sevants of good

This supernatural influence made Marauders into Nephandi detecting machines - something that other mages could see but not undersrtand. Plot wise: If a Marauder want's to kill a friend, it's because it's a Nephandi or just because the dude it's crazy and dangerous?

Future editions keep silent about the supernatural nature of Marauders Madness, but it was never retconed. That Marauders (even those that are extremely wicked) hate Nephandi it's a fact in Revised (the Book of the Wyld states that mages aren't of the Wyld, but it does suggest that Maraduers may have something to do with that force).
        Last edited by Aleph; 05-03-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

In the 1rst edition fallen mages (Technocrats were fallen too back then) were a reflection of the Triad. Maraduers were mages that made a subconscious pact with an unnamed Wyld Celestine.

The spirit gave them a Paradox shield and, in return, got to very subtly control the mages trough their Avatars, using them as a sort of Wyrm hunting drones. This control manifested by painting any Nephandi (and, to a lesser extent, Technocrat) that enters into a Marauders bubble as servants of a force idiosincratically opposed to the Marauder's own moral compass.
          For instance Marauder that beleives to be Satan would see Nephandi and BSD as angels and sevants of good

This supernatural influence made Marauders into Nephandi detecting machines - something that other mages could see but not undersrtand. Plot wise: If a Marauder want's to kill a friend, it's because it's a Nephandi or just because the dude it's crazy and dangerous?

Future editions keep silent about the supernatural nature of Marauders Madness, but it was never retconed. That Marauders (even those that are extremely wicked) hate Nephandi it's a fact in Revised (the Book of the Wyld states that mages aren't of the Wyld, but it does suggest that Maraduers may have something to do with that force).
          That's all pretty cool! And I like the idea of a murderous Marauder being like the broken clock; right twice a day. Their paranoid delusions have them killing "servants of evil"; but their screams about someone being "a child of the devil" might actually be true in the case of the Nephandus they want to kill.

Comment

Also, important tidbit: If the Mage refuses chaos's deal, to wrap their paradox around their Avatar and to become an agent of chaos...they forget. All of it. Gone. Which is why essentially nobody (probably) is ICly aware of it.

Also, the story Dabda implies that the state at which you get this choice - or decide to become Marauder on your own - can be a quite clear-headed and rational state. Even if the character in the story is in a bit of duress.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
            cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
            EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

In the 1rst edition fallen mages (Technocrats were fallen too back then) were a reflection of the Triad.
              Was this explicitly stated in any book, or just implied ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                Was this explicitly stated in any book, or just implied ?
                Well, if my memory doesn't fail, in 1rst edition core it was explicitly stated that these three related to the metaphysical trinity. And the trinity was related to the triad in old books.

Comment

1st Ed. Book of Madness coverage of Marauders has been pivotal in shaping my mostly positive opinion of them as a largely beneficial (if flawed and with the group including some remarkably bad apples, but then what isn't in the WoD?) agent that fights against Stasis and Corruption and for universal freedom. I am well aware of the analogies between Marauder Quiet and mundane psychosis, and quite familiar for professional reasons with the vast burden the latter inflicts on people. But I also notice the Marauder condition in various aspects gets to be substantially different and less troublesome for the affected individual than mundane insanity. First, mundane psychosis burdens one with a factually false perception of reality that cripples their agency, whileas Marauder Quiet is factually true, a personal reality-bubble and pocket realm that has limited extension and an imperfect interaction with the Universe at large, but is otherwise just as true and real as anything else in the Consensus. Second, mages have exceedingly ample ways at their hands to impose their own wishes and perceptions on reality, and Marauder status all but nullifies the main drawbacks of doing so. Last but not least, the Avatar can often be a rather efficient translation tool in one's head between the Marauder's reality-bubble and the Tellurian, one entirely lacking in mundane psychosis. Sure, inherent alienation from everyone else remains a serious issue, and the condition comes with other significant side effects of its own, such as giving one an overwhelming impulse to crusade against Stasis, Corruption, and their agents, and the dangerous lifestyle this entails.

So according to that book's lore, all Marauders get an unconscious choice and accept it when they develop the condition, even if it is something essentially unknown IC, since memory of this is not usually part of the Quiet (although the Avatar might sometimes care to remind the Marauder occasionally; Davenport's one is shown to do it) and those who refuse always forget. Such being the case, I'd aspect that characters consciously wishing and choosing to become Marauders would typically adapt to the condition much better than other members of the group. This would likely mean such characters tend to sport low (1-3) default levels of Quiet and/or their Avatars get to be exceedingly effective and thorough at translating between the two realities in all but the most cosmetic terms. Therefore they tend to suffer remarkably limited practical limitations about comprehending and interacting with Consensus reality and its inhabitants.
                  Last edited by Irioth; 05-09-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X