No announcement yet.

Correspondence In Combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except that the space around what ever the truck or sword approaches would also compress as things gets near it. Meaning neither is hitting a smaller target, the target gets stretched and warped to the same dimensions as the sword or truck as the sword or truck gets close to it, so ultimately they can only touch when the target is at the same width. So the impact would be exactly the same as thought the spell had not taken place.

If you were to try and grab the blade of this sword, it wouldn’t feel any different, it wouldn’t feel sharper or fall through your hand. But your hand would look really weird as it approached the sword, perhaps warping into something very small and infinitely thin. You might not even see yourself holding the blade, but if you close your eyes, you’d swear nothing was happening. It might just take a lot or reaching until you eventually found the blade in its warped up space.

You’d need Matter 5 for the effect you’re describing. Changing th physical dimensions of the blade while retaining all of its other attributes, weight and durability and so forth. Though it might be possible to attain this with Matter 3 and Entropy 3 as well.
    Last edited by Saikou; 05-17-2018, 03:58 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
      Except that the space around what ever the truck or sword approaches would also compress as things gets near it. Meaning neither is hitting a smaller target, the target gets stretched and warped to the same dimensions as the sword or truck as the sword or truck gets close to it, so ultimately they can only touch when the target is at the same width. So the impact would be exactly the same as thought the spell had not taken place.
      Heh, more Correspondence brainhurt
      I personally disagree with that interpretation - I personally see a Correspondence effect *tightly* locked onto a pattern as only affecting that very pattern, not others - however I can also see how your interpretation would be valid. There is nothing in the books that would affirm or deny either of those interpretations.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
      >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

Heh, more Correspondence brainhurt
        I personally disagree with that interpretation - I personally see a Correspondence effect *tightly* locked onto a pattern as only affecting that very pattern, not others - however I can also see how your interpretation would be valid. There is nothing in the books that would affirm or deny either of those interpretations.
        I edited my post to add a bit to it while you were commenting. What do you think would happen if you tried to grab your corr enchanted sword?

Comment

I edited my post to add a bit to it while you were commenting. What do you think would happen if you tried to grab your corr enchanted sword?
          The hilt? Nothing. The blade? Ow. Ow ow ow. Remember that in my example, we merely made the blade extremely thin, not the grip.

Now, I can see where you are coming from, and there is a situation where you are quite correct:
          If you made the distorted space extend out from the matter of the sword itself - that is, not only the very space the blade is occupying, but a few inches of space around the sword also get scaled down - then yes, somebody reaching for the sword would see a distortion as their hand suddenly becomes tiny as the hand enters that distorted space outside of the sword.

But what if only the *very* space that is *occupied* by the physical matter of the blade gets scaled down? I do not see why anything else should suddenly be affected by that.
          Whatever touches the blade never enters the correspondence-scaled part of space (i.e. the part already occupied by the physical space of the blade itself), unless it somehow pushes *into* the blade. At which point you have a whole different problem as something is managing to break the blade at that point ;P

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
          >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

The hilt? Nothing. The blade? Ow. Ow ow ow. Remember that in my example, we merely made the blade extremely thin, not the grip.

Now, I can see where you are coming from, and there is a situation where you are quite correct:
            If you made the distorted space extend out from the matter of the sword itself - that is, not only the very space the blade is occupying, but a few inches of space around the sword also get scaled down - then yes, somebody reaching for the sword would see a distortion as their hand suddenly becomes tiny as the hand enters that distorted space outside of the sword.

But what if only the *very* space that is *occupied* by the physical matter of the blade gets scaled down? I do not see why anything else should suddenly be affected by that.
            Whatever touches the blade never enters the correspondence-scaled part of space (i.e. the part already occupied by the physical space of the blade itself), unless it somehow pushes *into* the blade. At which point you have a whole different problem as something is managing to break the blade at that point ;P
            In which case, I’d rule you need at least Matter 2 to make this corr effect an intrinsic part of the blade.

You’d also need a similar effect on the hilt, or the sword would be impossible to store safely.

Comment

In which case, I’d rule you need at least Matter 2 to make this corr effect an intrinsic part of the blade.
              Oh, definitely. You can't have it as an effect that the mage moves with the blade with concentration - things just go too fast.

You’d also need a similar effect on the hilt, or the sword would be impossible to store safely.
              You mean the sheath? Yes. I bet the first mage who tried this lost a few fingers..

Comment

Working...
              X