Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correspondence In Combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Except that the space around what ever the truck or sword approaches would also compress as things gets near it. Meaning neither is hitting a smaller target, the target gets stretched and warped to the same dimensions as the sword or truck as the sword or truck gets close to it, so ultimately they can only touch when the target is at the same width. So the impact would be exactly the same as thought the spell had not taken place.

    If you were to try and grab the blade of this sword, it wouldn’t feel any different, it wouldn’t feel sharper or fall through your hand. But your hand would look really weird as it approached the sword, perhaps warping into something very small and infinitely thin. You might not even see yourself holding the blade, but if you close your eyes, you’d swear nothing was happening. It might just take a lot or reaching until you eventually found the blade in its warped up space.

    You’d need Matter 5 for the effect you’re describing. Changing th physical dimensions of the blade while retaining all of its other attributes, weight and durability and so forth. Though it might be possible to attain this with Matter 3 and Entropy 3 as well.
    Last edited by Saikou; 05-17-2018, 03:58 AM.


    Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Saikou View Post
      Except that the space around what ever the truck or sword approaches would also compress as things gets near it. Meaning neither is hitting a smaller target, the target gets stretched and warped to the same dimensions as the sword or truck as the sword or truck gets close to it, so ultimately they can only touch when the target is at the same width. So the impact would be exactly the same as thought the spell had not taken place.
      Heh, more Correspondence brainhurt
      I personally disagree with that interpretation - I personally see a Correspondence effect *tightly* locked onto a pattern as only affecting that very pattern, not others - however I can also see how your interpretation would be valid. There is nothing in the books that would affirm or deny either of those interpretations.


      cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
      cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
      EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

        Heh, more Correspondence brainhurt
        I personally disagree with that interpretation - I personally see a Correspondence effect *tightly* locked onto a pattern as only affecting that very pattern, not others - however I can also see how your interpretation would be valid. There is nothing in the books that would affirm or deny either of those interpretations.
        I edited my post to add a bit to it while you were commenting. What do you think would happen if you tried to grab your corr enchanted sword?


        Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Saikou View Post
          I edited my post to add a bit to it while you were commenting. What do you think would happen if you tried to grab your corr enchanted sword?
          The hilt? Nothing. The blade? Ow. Ow ow ow. Remember that in my example, we merely made the blade extremely thin, not the grip.

          Now, I can see where you are coming from, and there is a situation where you are quite correct:
          If you made the distorted space extend out from the matter of the sword itself - that is, not only the very space the blade is occupying, but a few inches of space around the sword also get scaled down - then yes, somebody reaching for the sword would see a distortion as their hand suddenly becomes tiny as the hand enters that distorted space outside of the sword.

          But what if only the *very* space that is *occupied* by the physical matter of the blade gets scaled down? I do not see why anything else should suddenly be affected by that.
          Whatever touches the blade never enters the correspondence-scaled part of space (i.e. the part already occupied by the physical space of the blade itself), unless it somehow pushes *into* the blade. At which point you have a whole different problem as something is managing to break the blade at that point ;P


          cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
          cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
          EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

            The hilt? Nothing. The blade? Ow. Ow ow ow. Remember that in my example, we merely made the blade extremely thin, not the grip.

            Now, I can see where you are coming from, and there is a situation where you are quite correct:
            If you made the distorted space extend out from the matter of the sword itself - that is, not only the very space the blade is occupying, but a few inches of space around the sword also get scaled down - then yes, somebody reaching for the sword would see a distortion as their hand suddenly becomes tiny as the hand enters that distorted space outside of the sword.

            But what if only the *very* space that is *occupied* by the physical matter of the blade gets scaled down? I do not see why anything else should suddenly be affected by that.
            Whatever touches the blade never enters the correspondence-scaled part of space (i.e. the part already occupied by the physical space of the blade itself), unless it somehow pushes *into* the blade. At which point you have a whole different problem as something is managing to break the blade at that point ;P
            In which case, I’d rule you need at least Matter 2 to make this corr effect an intrinsic part of the blade.

            You’d also need a similar effect on the hilt, or the sword would be impossible to store safely.


            Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Saikou View Post
              In which case, I’d rule you need at least Matter 2 to make this corr effect an intrinsic part of the blade.
              Oh, definitely. You can't have it as an effect that the mage moves with the blade with concentration - things just go too fast.

              You’d also need a similar effect on the hilt, or the sword would be impossible to store safely.
              You mean the sheath? Yes. I bet the first mage who tried this lost a few fingers..



              cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
              cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
              EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

              Comment


              • #52
                I talked to my ST about using some of the corr + (other sphere) in combat and he said he didn't see how they could be used that way. I had said Correspondence 1-2 + Time 1 should be able to let me "feel" the battlefield and know where things are coming from and that time 1 would let me know the perfect moment to step out of the way. This would cause an effect like -1 to the difficulty per success. Anyone have any advice on convincing him?

                Edit: I currently have Time 2, Corr 2, Force 2, Arete 4. Edition: Mage Ascension 2E
                Last edited by Donavan; 05-29-2018, 11:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Donavan View Post
                  I talked to my ST about using some of the corr + (other sphere) in combat and he said he didn't see how they could be used that way. I had said Correspondence 1-2 + Time 1 should be able to let me "feel" the battlefield and know where things are coming from and that time 1 would let me know the perfect moment to step out of the way. This would cause an effect like -1 to the difficulty per success. Anyone have any advice on convincing him?

                  Edit: I currently have Time 2, Corr 2, Force 2, Arete 4. Edition: Mage Ascension 2E
                  Honestly, if you've got Time 2, than you've already got a potent way to avoid trouble. You can just have a running Time 2 precognitive Effect, that makes you aware of attacks before they come.

                  That said, I suppose something like Corr 1 + Time 1 would be good for getting such an accurate gauge of the battlefield that it allows you to make better evasive decisions. It would probably reduce the difficulty to make attacks, too, since you have absurdly accurate understanding of distance, angle, and travel time. Maybe add Forces 1 to it, so you can sense the flow of momentum that accompanies objects and people, so you know how far and how fast people can move and how easily they stop and change direction.


                  Comment


                  • #54
                    ask your ST what they believe Time 1 and Corr 1 to be capable of, and try to incorporate their interpretation into the way you use it.


                    Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Our main point of contention is that he feels entropy should be used to gain any buffs. I said the local area awareness of corr plus knowing the perfect time to act should be sufficient

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Donavan View Post
                        Our main point of contention is that he feels entropy should be used to gain any buffs. I said the local area awareness of corr plus knowing the perfect time to act should be sufficient
                        I’d ask then what he would allow Time and Correspondence to do on their own. If he says all you can do is tell the time around the world, then unfortunately that’s all you’re going to get away with.

                        It sucks but you’ve got to deal with the ST you have.

                        I recently made a long about how Time magic may work differently given specific paradigms. It’s titled “Time Sphere: Going Deeper”. Perhaps direct them to that to see if it changes their perception of what one can do with Time.
                        Last edited by Saikou; 05-30-2018, 09:40 AM.


                        Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Saikou View Post
                          I recently made a long about how Time magic may work differently given specific paradigms. It’s titled “Time Sphere: Going Deeper”. Perhaps direct them to that to see if it changes their perception of what one can do with Time.
                          It was my understanding, and i may be wrong, that time 1 allowed for "perfect time". You just know when is the right time to do something.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Donavan View Post

                            It was my understanding, and i may be wrong, that time 1 allowed for "perfect time". You just know when is the right time to do something.
                            That is almost correct. It’s not so much knowing the right time to do things, but rather intuitively how long an action is taking and how long it takes to perform familiar actions. However, the interpretation of how perfect time works and what it allows is quite diverse.

                            Some ST’s are adamant that Time 1 is completely useless on its own unless you want to know the time, or unless it’s a Time magic based plot. I am very much against that opinion, and I have gone into great length how Time 1 can have a vast array of utility given the various viewpoints of how time works.

                            From the base game though, I would argue that Perfect Time should allow one to intuitively feel out how long things will take from a couple moments of study. Gameplay wise it could work like how aiming works, where the longer you observe, the greater the benefit.

                            I also think perfect time can have utility in performing multiple actions. While normally multiple actions have a massive spike in difficulty the more you do, Time 1 should be usable to better cope with this, as your perfect sense of Time allows you to keep things going in sync with fewer errors.

                            So instead of three actions getting an extra difficulty of +3, then +4, then +5. I’d just make them all a flat +3 while Time Sense is active.

                            Some would argue “but that’s a Mind thing, surely”, and point out that there are many ways to achieve similar effects. Just because something is possible with one sphere does not preclude a similar ability in another.


                            Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X