Techno-Shamans.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techno-Shamans.

Hello there. I've recently started planning to create this Techno-Shaman and I thought I should ask for your opinions and help.

Starting from this concept:~~

Ghost Wheel Society
    The Ghost Wheel Society are urban techno-shaman who commune with modern elementals of plastic, glass, metal, and electricity. Born out of the Ghost Dance movement, the Ghost Wheel Society believes that the old ways are dead and they must adapt to the modern world. Bohemians, entertainers, and even con artists, members often operate on the wrong side of the law. Their magic tends to involve negotiating with various urban spirits, trading favors, and creating high-tech Fetishes. (White Wolf Wikia)

~~ I want to ask you the way a Techno-Shaman would be, what kind of Instruments, Unique and Personalized, and Foci he would use, his Paradigm and so on. Feel free to give ideas for characters or anything of sorts - It'd be really much appreciated.

Well, as a shaman, communing with spirits would probably be quite important, so at the very they would have Spirit 1. Though outside of that, it's really open. They could be enthusiasts of the modern spirits, and perhaps they follow totems like the machine, certain memes, or even the weaver. They could instead be more warlike, active hates of the old spirits who don't know when they should just give up and go away, and so be more hostile. Or perhaps they are more encouraging than this, they wish to teach other spirits and spirit users to stop worrying and love the plastic.

Regarding paradigm, it's just as open. It would probably need some level of spirit interaction in order to still be reasonably considered a shaman. But whether everything is actually a spirit, or if spirits just offer us their powers, or if human kind and spirits are one and the same, it could go either way.

Practice wise, they could provide offerings to the spirits they wish to borrow power from (not spirit magic, just any magic, forces 2 would ask for an offering from the electricity spirits for instance, assuming everything is a spirit). Or wearing their designated spirit's clothing. Perhaps just using these items and drawing schematics or molecular formulae. They might dance or chant, or whatever to gain the favour of their particular spirit, maybe to allow them to become host to them for the duration of the time they need their powers.

Tools can be anything that helps with the practice, and honestly anything more specific than that will depend much more closely on what you want your mage to be like.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

The idea of communicating with technology spirits is cool, but I never understood how in the hell this is connected to the Ghost Dance Movement. The Ghost Dance was a last desperate spiritual movement for Native peoples to resist colonization, which lead to numerous masacres by the US Army. To connect it to a faction that's like "fuck tradition" is not only a contradiction, but highly offensive. I know it's not the OP's problem since they didn't write this, but like with a lot of Dreamspeaker stuff, it was poorly thought out. I'd urge you to really look into actual animistic/indigenous cultures if you're going to play a shaman and see how they actually work, and how this can be applied to working with techno/urban shamanism. Otherwise your contining a lot of stereotypes that these cultures suffer through.
      Last edited by Onkwe; 05-09-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

As for technoshaman stuff...

A Spider Familiar (a physical spider, that is) who is highly intelligent and linked to the Pattern Spiders spiritually.

One of the following Totems: Glitch, The Machine, Digital Eye, Cockroach. Potentially the Shaman could take the City's totem, however this would mean never leaving the city of their own volition again.

Book of Secrets has a background where spirits gather around you. Glass Elementals, data spirits.

Enhancements. Internet access costs only 1 point (each point in the background gives 3 points) and immediately gives you a powerful focus and a spiritual link to most technoshamanic entities.

The Kinfolk merit could apply. Glass Walker Kinfolk Technoshaman is pretty justifiable. Alternatively you could simply have a friend who runs the line between ally and rival, who happens to be a Glass Walker. People with links to the digital web and technospirits stand out to eachother.

Paradigms: Creation is Divine And Alive, We are not Men, We are Gods, Everything is Data, Tech Holds All Answers...

Practices: God-Bonding, Shamanism, High Ritual, Gutter Magick, Chaos Magick...

Instruments: Brain/Computer Interface, Computer Gear, Gadgets, Vehicles, Energy, Vocalizations, Offerings, Ordeals and Exertions, Weapons, Hypertech, Cybernetics, Faith...

So a technoshaman could open a portal from one place to another by offering up a prayer to Unity, the Data principle which exists above all lesser spirits and manifestations. A circle of wires and gizmos forms another part of the focus, along with an offering of Tass (electricity charged with Quintessence perhaps).
        Last edited by 11twiggins; 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Onkwe View Post
          The idea of communicating with technology spirits is cool, but I never understood how in the hell this is connected to the Ghost Dance Movement.
          It isn't. Whoever wrote the wiki entry made that up. The only Dreamspeaker faction that mentions the Ghost Dance is the Baruti, and even then it's only in the context of Baruti Dreamspeakers joining it, not as an origin for anything. Mage does have its problems - but this isn't one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Thebian View Post
            It isn't. Whoever wrote the wiki entry made that up. The only Dreamspeaker faction that mentions the Ghost Dance is the Baruti, and even then it's only in the context of Baruti Dreamspeakers joining it, not as an origin for anything. Mage does have its problems - but this isn't one of them
            Thank goodness.

It's been a while since I read the Dreamspeaker books, so I couldn't recall the details. Cause I really liked that faction and we did some creative things with them - like some Native Dreamspeakers where one combined traditional songs and hip hop, while his student was into lowriders, particularly his own with an awakened spirit; and then there was an African Speaker that was from a pastoral culture and was taught traditionally, but when he came to the States he got into working with urban spirits. We even explored how really old spirits had evolved as European colonization turned their home turf into a city.
            Last edited by Onkwe; 05-10-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X