Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Paradigm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's Your Paradigm?

    Out of the paradigms in the M20 which fits your worldview the most or is your favorite? Maybe you have one that doesn't fit any in M20 and you want to discuss it anyway.

    Personally I'm a A Mechanistic Cosmos man myself.

  • #2
    Unlocking the Keys to Reality. I don't think everything works that simply mechanically, but there are many wondrous parts of creation to learn about and understand.

    Comment


    • #3
      A combination of "Tech holds all the Answers" and "Everything is an Illusion."

      Comment


      • #4
        Don’t have access to the book right now. So whichever one that states that reality exists and functions independently of humanity.


        Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Saikou View Post
          Don’t have access to the book right now. So whichever one that states that reality exists and functions independently of humanity.
          Creation is divine and alive? Ride to oblivion? World of gods and monsters?

          Comment


          • #6
            A mechanistic cosmos, and tech holds all answers, with regards to how things are. It's all good, have faith, with regards to aspiration and shifting the consensus.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

              Creation is divine and alive? Ride to oblivion? World of gods and monsters?
              None of those. The universe does not need to be thought of to exist, and we are incidental to its running.

              In other words, humanity does not determine reality anymore than a fish does.
              Trees make noise when they fall regardless of whether or not it counts as sound. However, I also am not so sure the universe is inherently knowable, but the thing is we don’t really require it to be knowable, we just need it to be consistent.


              Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

              Comment


              • #8
                One-Way Trip to Oblivion and Might is Right.

                Going for the edgy moral nihilism.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Saikou View Post

                  None of those. The universe does not need to be thought of to exist, and we are incidental to its running.

                  In other words, humanity does not determine reality anymore than a fish does.
                  Trees make noise when they fall regardless of whether or not it counts as sound. However, I also am not so sure the universe is inherently knowable, but the thing is we don’t really require it to be knowable, we just need it to be consistent.
                  I don't recognize that. I don't think it's described in M20 or Book of Secrets.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
                    I don't recognize that. I don't think it's described in M20 or Book of Secrets.
                    Sounds like Tech holds all the answers.

                    I mean, the distinction I take it between that and mechanistic cosmos is that the former doesn't really care about grand metaphysical statements. Your tools work because they work and that's about all that matters.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      One-Way Trip to Oblivion and Might is Right.

                      Going for the edgy moral nihilism.
                      That doesn't seem very Nihilistic. It implies that Moral Righteousness flows from your personal power.

                      Whereas Nihilistic beliefs entail a lack of belief in righteousness at all as an inherent property.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Enginseer-42 View Post
                        That doesn't seem very Nihilistic. It implies that Moral Righteousness flows from your personal power.
                        Whereas Nihilistic beliefs entail a lack of belief in righteousness at all as an inherent property.
                        It was meant as a joking way to acknowledge that on the face of it, I proposed a pretty dark paradigm. I mean, how many people define their own morality as 'edgy'?

                        That said, the core explicitly mentions that 'right' in this context means something like a legal right rather than a moral right.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It’s All Good - Have Faith!

                          No, seriously. I'm a relentless optimist and a stoic (which, if you read the actual stoics rather than the pop-culture version of them, is not at all a contradiction). Bad things happen, but what matters is how we respond to them. A positive outlook (and in the stoic sense, a firm understanding of what is and isn't under our control) does wonders for your ability to both accomplish your goals and to be happy in the face of adversity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My preferred Paradigm combines a choice between, or quite possibly a combination of, Creation is Divine and Alive and/or Everything is an Illusion (depending on my feelings of the moment) added to a mix of Might is Right, Trascend Your Limits, and We Are All God(s) in Disguise. Sometimes I may even feel like throwing We Are Meant to be Wild in the mix, or replacing Everything is an Illusion with Consciousness is the Only True Reality or Everything is Chaos.

                            My preferred Practices include a combination of Animalism, Bardism, Chaos Magick, Crazy Wisdom, Elementalism, Invigoration, Martial Arts, Psionics, and Yoga. In a few rare cases, elements of Art of Desire, Dominion, or less likely High Ritual, Maleficia, or Witchcraft may be acceptable too, usually as secondary features of the other Practices.

                            My preferred Instruments include a mix of bodywork; dance, gestures, and movement; energy; eye contact; language, music, and voice; meditation; ordeals and exertions; sex and sensuality; symbols; social domination; thought forms; True Names; weapons; writing and inscriptions. In a few rare cases, use of blessings and curses; cards and dices; elements; math and numerology; prayer and invocations; tricks and illusions; wands and staves may be acceptable, too. As it concerns weapons, I actually prefer martial arts katas rather than weapons as fighting foci, and I highly value being able to use magic in combat effectively, but the latter may be sometimes acceptable, too.

                            I actively dislike Paradigms that assume the cosmos is mechanistic, theistic, or based on moral righteousness, or preach submission to higher entities. Much the same way, I frown on Practices and Instruments that rely on physical props and tools (all are disliked, but the more cumbersome the worse), invoke external sources of power in a subservient manner, or are based on rigid procedures and rituals.
                            Last edited by Irioth; 05-17-2018, 11:28 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Irioth View Post
                              I actively dislike Paradigms that assume the cosmos is mechanistic, theistic, or based on moral righteousness, as well as Practices and Instruments that rely on physical props and tools, invoke external sources of power in a subservient manner, or are based on fixed, complex procedures and rituals.
                              Wait. So you use cards, dice, weapons, wands, and staves, but you actively dislike them as material props? How does that work?

                              Also where do you draw the line when it comes to what counts as a complex procedure or ritual? A lot of your preferred tools/practices can be very complicated when done at a masterful level, for example, yoga, numerology, social domination, martial arts, music, dance, and gestures.

                              Other than that, I’m guessing youre an ecstatic who really doesn’t like the celestial chorus since they would tick all the boxes for everything you dislike. Except maybe the mechanistic universe bit.

                              Do I also detect a hint of anti-scientific sentiment?


                              Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X