What's Your Paradigm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
    Wait. So you use cards, dice, weapons, wands, and staves, but you actively dislike them as material props? How does that work?
    I actively dislike all kinds of material props, but sometimes I may be reluctantly willing to make a few secondary exceptions, especially if tools are very iconic and easy to carry, hide, and replace. But indeed stuff like cards, dice, wands, and staves may only have a rather limited and peripheral role in my preferred set of foci (as opposed to all the other stuff I'd not touch with a 10-foot pole, such as most of the other Paradigms, Practices, and Instruments I did not mention). As it concerns weapons, admittedly they may enjoy more of a favorable exception in this regard, due to how highly I value combat effectiveness and ability to affirm one's goals by force if need be, not to mention the vast practical benefits one may reap from including weapons and/or Martial Arts in their paradigm. Even so, however, I very much tend to prefer the unarmed combat applications of this feature to use of weapons in this regard.

Also where do you draw the line when it comes to what counts as a complex procedure or ritual? A lot of your preferred tools/practices can be very complicated when done at a masterful level, for example, yoga, numerology, social domination, martial arts, music, dance, and gestures.
    True. And it is correct to assume I generally much prefer flexible, on-the-fly (non-physical) practices and instruments, especially for everything I acknowledge as 'vanilla', non especially complex or difficult, magical feats. Then again, I may be usually willing to accept greater levels of difficulty and complexity for procedures that allow the most awesome magical feats, especially if the practices and instruments make it very clear power is inherent to the individual and comes from within, all the various procedures ultimately do is to provide several possible means to help channel and visualize it. In this regard, complexity in the procedures you quote does not bother me so much, not so much as rigidity.

Other than that, I’m guessing youre an ecstatic who really doesn’t like the celestial chorus since they would tick all the boxes for everything you dislike. Except maybe the mechanistic universe bit.
    I easily acknowledge my Foci preferences do not easily align with any single established Tradition, so by default I'd plot myself as an Orphan first and foremost. Having said that, I think they may find some important affinities with elements of Akashayana, Sahaijva, Verbena, and Hermetic beliefs and practices, maybe the Chakravanti too. As it concerns the Order of Hermes stuff I have a complex, love and hate relationship with it, since I'm very much in love with the self-affirmation, Might is Right component of their ideology, but despise the mechanistic, High Ritual one. For the other groups' beliefs, I mostly have nothing but indifference or scorn. The latter most definitely includes the CC and everything Technocracy, since they both preach subservience to higher entities, be it God or the Collective. I also acknowledge certain affinities between my own personal paradigm and certain VA ideas.

Do I also detect a hint of anti-scientific sentiment?
    In the sense science assumes the cosmos can (and should be) be understood and controlled, not really, I very much support that, and yearn for the promise of empowerment and liberation it carries. After all, I'm an awowed transhumanist. But I hate and despise what the Technocracy stands for, selling away and actively, tyrannically blocking the path to a tangible perspective of Godlike self-realization, for the base sake of social control and stability, and catering to the lowest common denominator. After my own personal Paradigm and the Traditions I quoted above, my greatest sympathies in the Ascension War go to the Marauders.
    Last edited by Irioth; 05-14-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Somewhere between Transcend Your Limits and We're All Gods In Disguise.

"It's in your eyes. Something in your eyes. Check them out in the mirror and tell me if I'm wrong." - Stephen King, Danse Macabre

Comment

Don’t have access to the book right now. So whichever one that states that reality exists and functions independently of humanity.
        I don't think any of the official Paradigms match that. It does strike me as a Paradigm that would be popular outside of the Traditions, and particularly in the ranks of the Technocracy. A mild form of it is quite compatible with Mage; the extreme version (where humanity has no more influence over reality than a fish has) is pretty much incompatible with Mage, as the game's premise is that humanity is special, and that the thing that makes it special lets it have a say in what reality is like.

Comment

So far I've been treating Creation is Divine and Alive and Everything is an Illusion as alternative elements of my preferred paradigm. But on second thoughts, this discussion got me wondering if I should instead combine them in a greater whole. Of course, Might is Right, Transcend Your Limits, and We Are All God(s) in Disguise remain the other elements as well. Your opinion about combining pantheism and gnosticism in a single paradigm?

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post
            So far I've been treating Creation is Divine and Alive and Everything is an Illusion as alternative elements of my preferred paradigm. But on second thoughts, this discussion got me wondering if I should instead combine them in a greater whole. Of course, Might is Right, Transcend Your Limits, and We Are All God(s) in Disguise remain the other elements as well. Your opinion about combining pantheism and gnosticism in a single paradigm?
            Isn’t that Mormonism?

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Isn’t that Mormonism?
              Please explain your point. I'm well aware of the Apotheosis elements of Mormonism, but at the moment I'm not mindful of any features that could be seen as noticeably pantheist and/or gnostic.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

Please explain your point. I'm well aware of the Apotheosis elements of Mormonism, but at the moment I'm not mindful of any features that could be seen as noticeably pantheist and/or gnostic.
                In my admitantly limited understanding, the core Mormon belief is that there are many gods, all of whom have their own planet to cultivate and care for, and every Mormon, by practicing the Mormon belief and staying loyal to the church, may too ascend towards godhood and have a planet of their own to look over.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

The foundational core of Mormonism is:
                  As man is, so God was, as God is, so man shall become.

Comment

Working...
                  X