Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime 3 says you can craft a Periapt, but Crafting Wonders says you need Matter 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

If it stores quintessence, it has a periapt as part of its design. And if someone’s already made you the periapt, then you can just “staple it on” as it were.
    Ah, so those making Wonders for the Techoncracy will receive Matrices to plug into their creations as standard I assume? Obviously if they're a good employee and they're worthy of the investment. You can't expect everyone who is tinkering with new models of plasma rifles to be a master of "material sciences".

Comment

I imagine that Iteration X has a few warehouses filled with matrices for various sized devices, and a number of master engineers tasked with overseeing their production.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

M20 Core Rulebook states on page 653 that: "Generally, Wonders have a capacity of five Quintessence points for each point of Arete." As follows: you can craft wonders with Prime 4 and a few spheres that are able to contain Quintessence, but you can't build a Periapt without Matter 5. Wait, what?

Comment

Originally posted by TheVarulfen View Post
          M20 Core Rulebook states on page 653 that: "Generally, Wonders have a capacity of five Quintessence points for each point of Arete." As follows: you can craft wonders with Prime 4 and a few spheres that are able to contain Quintessence, but you can't build a Periapt without Matter 5. Wait, what?
          That’s a new thing for M20, and just shows that they did not double check their work for consistency.

Comment

But it's M20 rules we were talking about in the first place. And it's been M20 rules that say Matter 5 would be necessary for Periapts and stuff.
            But yes, it's very inconsistent. M20 did a good job streamlining the entire system, so these are the (relatively) small oversights. And it's something that can be fixed with a few simple house-rules.

Comment

And what about consecration and turning the Patterns into Quintessence? In Wonter creation part they say Prime 4 needed to gain Quintessence from materials when in the Spheres they say am age can use Prime 2 or 3. And I didn't even say about living Patterns.
              Also consecration of Matter is possible with just Prime 1 while consecration of living things demands Prime 2 AND Life 2-3

Prime Sphere is so confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by MesmerOfLife View Post
                And what about consecration and turning the Patterns into Quintessence? In Wonter creation part they say Prime 4 needed to gain Quintessence from materials when in the Spheres they say am age can use Prime 2 or 3. And I didn't even say about living Patterns.
                Also consecration of Matter is possible with just Prime 1 while consecration of living things demands Prime 2 AND Life 2-3

Prime Sphere is so confusing.
                Prime sphere was heavily modified in the transition between Revised and M20.

It used to be that Prime 2 made charms out of matter pattern objects from Tass, Prime 3 made artefacts from Tass, and Prime 4 made talismans. To make a charm/artefact/relic out of a life pattern requires one rank higher, as does creating from raw quintessence and not Tass.

So making a talisman out of a wand with quintessence instead of Tass is Prime 5, and making an artefact out of a flower with Tass is Prime 4.

Charm= temporary wonder
                Artefact = standard wonder
                Talisman= wonder with its own arête

You do not require life or matter to do any of this.

Locking an effect into a matter of life pattern does NOT require prime, but does require either life or matter, arguably either Life 3 or 4, or Matter 2 or 3, possibly 4 depending of the complexity. It allows the spell to remain attached to whatever you put it to without the mage needing to be near it, but also requires concentration to keep it up, i.e. will contribute to total number of continuous effects until dispelled.

To make the locked on object what I call a pseudo-wonder, i.e. an enchanted object that does not require concentration to keep it up, it could be argued that Prime can be used for this. I’d argue Prime 2 would be sufficient for this.

The object in question is NOT a real wonder, and as such is incapable of producing a magical effect. But rather just has a spell permanently embedded into ta pattern.

An enchanted stick can be made to permanently be on fire with Forces, matter, and possibly prime, but a real wonder might be a stick that can cast balls of fire at a target with Forces and Prime alone.

Comment

Working...
                X