Supernatural Consors (retainers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernatural Consors (retainers)

As Gods & Monsters book is still somewhere on the horizon I wanted to ask what sort of beings would you consider as supernatural companions. The game gives us a version of Vampire/Werewolf companions and some bygones. Though, got to admit that samples given are limited and thus not very exciting.

​So, please write about what fictional things/beings you would consider for mage companion/friends and for how many merit points. Character sheets are welcome, as well as background details.

Right now, the Templar PC in the game has a black lab familiar that is fitting the Comes Celestias (Divine Companions) from the Book of Crafts. This is a former bomb dog which is inhabited by an angelic spirit. I use the standard large dog M20 template and the spirit inhabiting the dog body, possesses some knowledge of Christian theology and mysticism. It also has Demolitions and Unconventional Warfare to reflect being a bomb dog working for the U.S. military in Afghanistan. I figure about 2 dots in all the special knowledges, plus regular dog skills and abilities. Once in a while, God talks to the angel inside the dog as well. . . The attached PC is a military veteran who Awakened during a roadside IED incident that wiped out her squad.

I'd love to have a faerie dragon consor for one NPC, but it doesn't work so well in a modern game. Most of the bygones are going to work better in areas where the Consensus is not in force and the reality zone does not favor the Technocracy or in times past where the Consensus was less rigid.

Comment

I was thinking that adding a human disguise should make quite a few bygones playable. It can be a merit for being or an enchanted item. Would be fitting with consensus too, as in many fiction legendary beings have human form.

Comment

I think that Revenants ( from most, if not all, Revenant Families ) could be good and interesting Consors of Mages. A good reason(s) and justification(s) in the Revenant's and Mage's backgrounds would be needed for this, though.
        Last edited by Muad'Dib; 05-17-2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Sure. Same with eastern half-vampires.

Comment

Some mages are also vampire hunters. An independent Ghoul that hunts vampires for blood could use the help of a mage. A Consor relationship it's easy to imagine between such a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
              I think that Revenants ( from most, if not all, Revenant Families ) could be good and interesting Consors of Mages. A good reason(s) and justification(s) in the Revenant's and Mage's backgrounds would be needed for this, though.
              Well Revenants would show up as odd under Life 1, Spirit 1, Time 1 or Prime 1. It wouldn't be hard to justify a Progenitor discovering and studying Revenant families... however it would need a good backstory to explain one of them being an ally without this being deemed unmutual. Hermetics have their own links to Vampires, and some will have made a study of Ghouls. And remember that Revenants are themselves blessed with long lives and access to some supernatural lore. If I were a bored rich Grimaldi kid, going through high school for the 3rd time, I would make a habit of investigating the supernatural for fun, knowing that some Celerity/Fortitude and family connections can get me out of trouble. Given time and effort (they have plenty to spare) finding a sorcerer or Mage wouldn't be beyond belief.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
                Hermetics have their own links to Vampires, and some will have made a study of Ghouls.
                Ghouls are another possibility for who can be a Consor of a Mage. Perhaps especially fitting are Ghouls of Elder Vampires and Ghouls of Methuselah Vampires.

Well Revenants would show up as odd under Life 1, Spirit 1, Time 1 or Prime 1.
                Does slowed down aging or halted aging of any kind show up in Time 1 Magickal Senses ?
                And why Spirit 1 ?
                Last edited by Muad'Dib; 05-18-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Ghouls are another possibility for who can be a Consor of a Mage. Perhaps especially fitting are Ghouls of Elder Vampires and Ghouls of Methuselah Vampires.

Does slowed down aging or halted aging of any kind show up in Time 1 Magickal Senses ?
                  And why Spirit 1 ?
                  I imagine that anyone whose aging is slowed or halted will show up as strange under Time 1, although it would need many more successes than the others. I mean honestly I feel like Time 1 does the least cool things out of the level 1 spheres, so allowing a Mage to determine that someone is a Vampire or Ghoul based on their pattern being "a still point in time" isn't that crazy. I mean Time 1 can sense the use of Celerity and Temporis, and can see if someone has used Time magick in recent history, so a person simply never aging (or at 1/4 of the rate) showing up clearly seems fair.

Spirit 1 can show Auras, and Ghouls of all kinds have paler auras than normal humans.

Life 1; Revenant physiology isn't normal.

Prime 1; Revenants are chock full of delicious Tass, and will be roughly 2x as energetic as most humans (the normal 10 for a large animal, plus 10 points of Vitae).

Furthermore, Mind 1 could quite reasonably sense the Beast lurking just behind a Ghoul's surface thoughts, especially if they were angry.

Comment

Life 1; Revenant physiology isn't normal.

Prime 1; Revenants are chock full of delicious Tass, and will be roughly 2x as energetic as most humans (the normal 10 for a large animal, plus 10 points of Vitae).
                    How many Mages - and what kinds of Mages, and how skilled - would be able to identify Revenants with Life 1 or Prime 1, you think ? I think that relatively few Mages would have this capability with her or his Magick ( less than 15 % of Mages ) ; and it would be Spells and Rotes that would be difficult to learn, and difficult to cast.

Comment

How many Mages - and what kinds of Mages, and how skilled - would be able to identify Revenants with Life 1 or Prime 1, you think ? I think that relatively few Mages would have this capability with her or his Magick ( less than 15 % of Mages ) ; and it would be Spells and Rotes that would be difficult to learn, and difficult to cast.
                      Well it depends on the context. A lot of this is situational; most Mages don't scan random humans for information all of the time. But if you notice something odd about a person, you might be inclined to examine them carefully. Life would be more reliable if the Revenant were healing, or Blood Pumped. Prime would be more reliable if they had recently spent some Vitae. And the most reliable way of sensing them would be to simply mix together some level 1 effects.

"I open my mind up and try to dissect their form. Life 1 to examine their physiology, Mind 1 to bring out their surface thoughts, Prime 1 to slice in and examine their energy and aura..."

Comment

Oh the signs should be fairly trivial to detect. 1 success at common sensory magick. To be able to interpret what those signs mean, on the other hand, would be rather difficult, and a matter of Lore.

Mages would instantly know that the Revenant "it's not right", and with study and further successes they could pry why. Mages that know about vampires will think he's a Ghoul (much like a vampire with Auspex would) at first glance. Only mages that know about Revenants (Like Tal'mahe'Ra mages, for instance) would trully understand the signs.

Comment

I think that some Kinfolk of Fera could make good and interesting Consors of Mages ; maybe Kinfolk of some Fera would particularly get along with specific kinds of Mages.
                          Last edited by Muad'Dib; 05-20-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

this is all nice, but vampires/fera are already discussed in the books. what about something else? a hell hound, an exiled demon, beast from Pangea, elemental-claimed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
                              this is all nice, but vampires/fera are already discussed in the books. what about something else? a hell hound, an exiled demon, beast from Pangea, elemental-claimed, etc.
                              A hell hound or an ancient beast works as a Familiar. That background is a great way of reflecting really varied supernatural allies, over a wide power range (1 is a glorified pet with mechanical advantages, 5 is probably more powerful than you in many ways) and a wide range of origins. The background can capture a cloned manservant for a Technocrat, or a robot cat, or a regular cat, or your Kinfolk Lupus half-sister, or a friendly "alien" you met in an alternate dimension...

These pets (?) cost 1 Quintessence per week per dot in the Background, and can absorb Paradox up to their level x 5, and shed one dot of Paradox per week. They double as a helper, ally etc. but naturally the energy cost balances this out. So if you're an eccentric Etherite your Level 5 Familiar could be a Cyber-Tooth Tiger, a cyborg you and your mentor developed from DNA taken from fossilized saber-tooth remains... and of course that's going to be a dangerous pet you can unleash whenever you like. But 5 points of Quintessence each week is a LOT.

One thing I like in Mage is capturing many many things in a single neat mechanic. A sanctum can be anything from a dojo to a lab to an office to a surgical theater.
                              Last edited by 11twiggins; 05-21-2018, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X