Question about Correspondence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Correspondence

Did the rule that you can only use a Sphere effect up to the level of you Correspondence exist before Revised edition because I haven't seen any reference to that rule until Revised? I may have missed it and if so can you point me to where it was first referenced?

Well, it’s on my 2nd ed ST screen, so it must have been about in 2nd ed at least.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

On this topic... I love Correspondence, and I think it's a really useful Sphere, but I feel like removing the matched level requirement (i.e. needing Correspondence 5 to use a Forces 5 effect over a large distance) would remove too much utility, especially at the higher levels. Co-location, putting different locations on top of eachother, creating permanent portals... they're really great, but the truly awesome thing about Correspondence 5 is the way it opens up your other Spheres.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
        Co-location, putting different locations on top of eachother, creating permanent portals... they're really great, but the truly awesome thing about Correspondence 5 is the way it opens up your other Spheres.
        Ever since I read it, I always liked a lot this definite statement from the M:tA 1st Edition Corebook's description of the Correspondence kind of Magick :
        "Mages who persevere through the study of Correspondence gain knowledge that when combined with other magickal Spheres, makes the Master of Correspondence unassailable." .

Though it is not literally so ( not always, at least ) , this quote definitely puts across for me the potential power and possibilities that can come with being a Mage in the World of Darkness.
        Last edited by Muad'Dib; 06-03-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
          Ever since I read it, I always liked a lot this definite statement from the M:tA 1st Edition Corebook's description of the Correspondence kind of Magick :
          "Mages who persevere through the study of Correspondence gain knowledge that when combined with other magickal Spheres, makes the Master of Correspondence unassailable." .

Though it is not literally so ( not always, at least ) , this quote definitely puts across for me the potential power and possibilities that can come with being a Mage in the World of Darkness.
          Methesulah: I do all of my business using powerful individuals, and even Sects, as proxies. I tend to protect myself with 7 layers of disposables for the sake of self-preservation.

Correspondence ArchMage: You are little baby. Watch this. *Does all of his business via 12 duplicates of himself*

I feel like the real power of Mages lies in conjunctional effects. Forces 2, in isolation, isn't going to dominate the other splats. Combined with Correspondence 2 it's a ranged death ray, if you are able to justify that in your paradigm (and this is where being a mystic is useful). And when you hit 2-3 in a few Spheres, you pick up effects you didn't even know you'd need, like being able to Ward or Ban certain things.

Something important to note; Correspondence casting is useful not only because your involvement is obfuscated and others can't strike back (you can kill an enemy from range without suffering their incredible combat prowess), but also because you can take your time. Taking extra turns means lower difficulty for casting. Or you could just make it a Ritual, since there is often no time pressure.
          Last edited by 11twiggins; 06-03-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Methesulah: I do all of my business using powerful individuals, and even Sects, as proxies. I tend to protect myself with 7 layers of disposables for the sake of self-preservation.

Correspondence ArchMage: You are little baby. Watch this. *Does all of his business via 12 duplicates of himself*
            This Mage seems to not know, or has forgotten in her or his arrogance, that a Vampire can have long-distance capabilities and means at disposal, with some Discipline Powers. For example with Presence 4 Summon, or with Auspex 5 Psychic Projection. Also, many Blood Magic Rituals can be cast from afar.
            Last edited by Muad'Dib; 06-03-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Something important to note; Correspondence casting is useful not only because your involvement is obfuscated and others can't strike back (you can kill an enemy from range without suffering their incredible combat prowess), but also because you can take your time. Taking extra turns means lower difficulty for casting. Or you could just make it a Ritual, since there is often no time pressure.
              Until you realise you targeted another Correspondence user, and they use the exact channel you used to hunt you down and get revenge from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

Until you realise you targeted another Correspondence user, and they use the exact channel you used to hunt you down and get revenge from a distance.
                Oh yeah they're not invulnerable, and targeting via Correspondence demands extra work. But if you're attacking someone with a Pattern Sphere and Correspondence, the effort they need to take to figure out how they're being attacked, sense your location, form an effect which will harm you in response... it's probably not something they'll be able to pull off on the fly. If I had to sum it up briefly, I'd say "not perfect, but everything is strongly tilted in your favour".

Besides, with Correspondence 2 + Forces 2 you can roll Arete a few times until you have enough successes to get them in one blow. Then with Correspondence 1 + Correspondence 2 you can erase any trace of your interference by "evening out" the fabric of the area so it will look normal under Correspondence 1.

Comment

Saikou thank you. I was looking through all the old core books and the only time I saw the reference was in the revised book so that made me wonder because if it was a rule that started in revised. If it did then I would probably jock it up to a rule that revised put in to limit magick like they did with paradox.

Now I wonder though if there is a good reason in world for it because to me at least it feels like a balance rule. I'm contemplating replacing that rule with a +1 difficulty per dot difference between their Correspondence rating and the highest Sphere rating in the Effect.

Comment

Originally posted by stanlemon View Post
                    Saikou thank you. I was looking through all the old core books and the only time I saw the reference was in the revised book so that made me wonder because if it was a rule that started in revised. If it did then I would probably jock it up to a rule that revised put in to limit magick like they did with paradox.

Now I wonder though if there is a good reason in world for it because to me at least it feels like a balance rule. I'm contemplating replacing that rule with a +1 difficulty per dot difference between their Correspondence rating and the highest Sphere rating in the Effect.
                    There already is a +1 difficulty in place if you try to do magic at a distance without the right correspondence level, and you're limited to line of sight targeting within a given region. The same level of Correspondence does away with that difficulty, and also allows targeting based on familiarity with a location or items that have connection with your target.

Comment

I think you misunderstood what I meant, the only listed +1 for distance says one that says "distant or hidden subject". I'm talking about scrapping the rule saying that you can't use other Sphere levels higher than your Correspondence level and replacing it with a +1 per level that a Conjunctional Effect has above your Correspondence rating. Example: A mage has Forces 3 and Correspondence 2, instead of saying that they can't use a Forces 3/Correspondence 2 Effect they would be able to do the Effect at a +1 difficulty because the Forces Rating in the Effect is 1 higher than the Mage's Correspondence rating.

Comment

Working...
                      X