Videogamey "Checkpoint" type spell?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videogamey "Checkpoint" type spell?

Hey everyone...I might be losing my mind, but I swear I once read about a Mage spell that was essentially like a checkpoint in a video game. Where could set it, and then rewind time back to it. Was there ever a spell like that or did I imagine it? If it's real, can some kind soul point me in it's direction?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mr Gone; 07-01-2018, 11:23 PM. Reason: correcting typo

MrGone's Character Sheets
    For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

I have no idea where you found it but i imagine a Time 5 spell, maybe with Life and Mind thrown in for good measure.

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

All I can think here is this: "Dormammu, I have come to bargain."

To answer the actual question, I don't recognize it, either, but if I find some time later, I'll do some hunting around.

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

There's a rote in the Free Council book for Mage Awakening called 'Save Point' (p.113). Works just as you described.

Dunno if that was based on an Ascension spell.

Comment

Personally I would say, such a thing requires:
          * Time 5 for the obvious time travel back over longer distance than a few rounds like Time 3/reboot allows
          * Mind 5 to 1) Send only your actual mind back in time instead of also your dead body, and 2) Possessing your old past self, rewriting it.
          * A Time 4 component to trigger if the body dies - the whole thing is a hanging spell.
          * Life 3 to tie the Time 4 trigger to your health, and tether the casting-back of the Mind through time to your body.

So, Time 5, Mind 5, Life 3 in total. Not too bad for such a powerful effect.

EDIT.
          Note that there are some caveats with this spell - there is a reason it's relatively 'cheap':
          * Physical stats naturally re-set to how the body was at the time of the checkpoint
          * It can be argued that Arete and Sphere increases also re-set, given that they are potentially part of your 'Spirit', and no Spirit sphere was used in this effect. Essentially, just like you revert to your old body, you also go back to your spiritual state - a big bummer, psychologically
          * Several of your skills and talents that rely on muscle memory will also revert to that point in time. The ST might rule that it's cheaper to increase them again, since your knowledge is there, but the physical training needs to be re-done. And yes, that's an actual thing. There have been cases of people losing their muscle memory in accidents, and they literally have to re-learn the physical routine of things, including writing, despite knowing how they work in theory.

But then again, that's also what would make it a very videogamey checkpoint spell. Your knowledges stay preserved. So does, probably, intelligence, charisma, manipulation and wits. Perception might get reverted, depending on wether you increased it through justification of physical improvement of the eyes, or mental training.
          Last edited by Ambrosia; 07-02-2018, 10:04 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
          cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
          EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmiumcadamium View Post
            I have no idea where you found it but i imagine a Time 5 spell, maybe with Life and Mind thrown in for good measure.
            Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by Inertial Frame View Post
            All I can think here is this: "Dormammu, I have come to bargain."

To answer the actual question, I don't recognize it, either, but if I find some time later, I'll do some hunting around.
            Could be that I'm mixing it up with some Doctor Strange and the thing from Mage the Awakening below...

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            There's a rote in the Free Council book for Mage Awakening called 'Save Point' (p.113). Works just as you described.

Dunno if that was based on an Ascension spell.
            Oh cool! Yea, that's probably what I'm thinking of then! Thanks, I'll check it out. Must have confused it in my brain for Ascension, with Virtual Adepts and such..

Thanks!!

Edit: I just read it, and yup, that sounds like that I was thinking of. Thanks for hunting that down me!

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
            Personally I would say, such a thing requires:
            * Time 5 for the obvious time travel back over longer distance than a few rounds like Time 3/reboot allows
            * Mind 5 to 1) Send only your actual mind back in time instead of also your dead body, and 2) Possessing your old past self, rewriting it.
            * A Time 4 component to trigger if the body dies - the whole thing is a hanging spell.
            * Life 3 to tie the Time 4 trigger to your health, and tether the casting-back of the Mind through time to your body.

So, Time 5, Mind 5, Life 3 in total. Not too bad for such a powerful effect.

EDIT.
            Note that there are some caveats with this spell - there is a reason it's relatively 'cheap':
            * Physical stats naturally re-set to how the body was at the time of the checkpoint
            * It can be argued that Arete and Sphere increases also re-set, given that they are potentially part of your 'Spirit', and no Spirit sphere was used in this effect. Essentially, just like you revert to your old body, you also go back to your spiritual state - a big bummer, psychologically
            * Several of your skills and talents that rely on muscle memory will also revert to that point in time. The ST might rule that it's cheaper to increase them again, since your knowledge is there, but the physical training needs to be re-done. And yes, that's an actual thing. There have been cases of people losing their muscle memory in accidents, and they literally have to re-learn the physical routine of things, including writing, despite knowing how they work in theory.

But then again, that's also what would make it a very videogamey checkpoint spell. Your knowledges stay preserved. So does, probably, intelligence, charisma, manipulation and wits. Perception might get reverted, depending on wether you increased it through justification of physical improvement of the eyes, or mental training.
            Oh whoa! I really appreciate you writing that up! That's awesome!
            Last edited by Mr Gone; 07-02-2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

There's also a wonder in M20 under the Weird Science section of Wonders. It's called "The Rebooter Self-Retrieval Bio-Printer". It utilizes a Life 5, Mind 5, Prime 5, Spirit 5, Time 4 effect to save your body (and mind and soul) at a specific time and re-printing all of these when the original dies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

What !?, You haven't a saved after your last Seeking!. Everyone knows you should save after each Seeking!

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

What !?, You haven't a saved after your last Seeking!. Everyone knows you should save after each Seeking!
                  Yeah its just good sense.

Comment

depends how hard you want it to make. Time 5 seems optimal in general, however there are variations. a $20 smoke grenade with Correspondence 3, Entropy 2 (or Time 2?) that's primed to teleport mage when facing certain death would functionally be the same. there is also expensive bio-printer wonder that makes your clone and transfers your spirit/mind into it if you die. You can even do it with Spirit 4, by creating a talen with powerful spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVarulfen View Post
                      There's also a wonder in M20 under the Weird Science section of Wonders. It's called "The Rebooter Self-Retrieval Bio-Printer". It utilizes a Life 5, Mind 5, Prime 5, Spirit 5, Time 4 effect to save your body (and mind and soul) at a specific time and re-printing all of these when the original dies.
                      Oh! That's pretty cool! I'll check that out, thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Working...
                      X