Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas on African Mages? (M:tSC / M20 game set in 1460 CE in Ethiopia)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    That's rather neat. I like that.
    I would presume that perhaps their version of the Explorers/Seekers might have died out/been subsumed by the Keepers when the Aksum Empire lost all of their territory along the Indian Ocean?
    I like you like it. Concerning the Ethiopian Explorers/Seekers... I guess they might have been subsumed by the Keepers, yes. I don't know it yet.

I've always seen the Cabal as primarily being a Catholic thing - the idea that the Church of Rome being the "One Church" of their idealized world view - with a sizable "heretical" movement in North Africa/Southwest Asia picking Islam once that faith appeared, and Greek Orthodox dissenters being mostly wiped out by the Fourth Crusade and/or the final fall of Constantinople. An Order of Reason expedition to Ethiopia (perhaps as part of a search for the kingdom of Prester John or so such) would be a great place to include Dove characters who've come to peacefully "educate" those outside the authority of the True Church.
    I have read my Sorcerer's Crusade books again and again and I haven't been able to find any references to non-Catholic being members of the Cabal of Pure Thought, so... Additionally, the main plot of the adventure concerns an expedition from the Order of Reason under cover of a Portuguese expedition... so there are, indeed, Doves who want to "educate" the Ethiopians...

They might eventuntually end up as part of the Celestial Chorus's Alexandrian Society.
    They ended up in a single line in Guide to the Traditions. I haven't been able to find any other references or mentions of them.
    Last edited by Alqamar Alaswad; 09-01-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alqamar Alaswad View Post
      I have read my Sorcerer's Crusade books again and again and I haven't been able to find any references to non-Catholic being members of the Cabal of Pure Thought, so....

Yeah, there's not a lot of detail about the late Roman Empire/early Christianity period. My impression was always that, when the Revelation of Pure Thought was handed down in the 4th century, the group was founded on the idea that this One World, One God, One Faith thing would naturally find its expression in a Christianized Roman Empire (which would naturally go on to conquer the world and convert everyone). But human politics being what they are, the Empire fractured, and the Cabal started arguing about if Greece was the new champion of the One Faith or not. Then Islam comes along and a bunch of Cabalists in the Middle East decide that the Caliphate is how the One World, One God, One Faith thing is supposed to be carried out. But suddenly we have Charlemagne claiming to be the new inheritor of the Roman Emperors and champion of Christendom so all the Western European Cabal flock to that banner, and over the years got behind various Catholic Kings (probably culminating with the House of Hapsburg in Spain and Austria). So by the Sorcerers' Crusade period, you've got the staunchly Roman Catholic Cabal (about to fracture with the Reformation) in Europe who are one of the factions of the Order of Reason, while there's a separate faction (The Brethren of Righteous and Pure Thought or something like that) in the House of Islam, and a few Orthodox holdouts perhaps in Russia (who are finally done away with during the Russian Revolution). And after some upheaval in the Enlightenment period, we end up with One World, One (British) Empire in the Victorian Period and finally the One World, One Government (and One Opinion and One Mind) of the New World Order in the 20th century. Such was always what seemed to make sense to me, at least.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
      X