How to make this type of PC work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make this type of PC work?

I recently thought up a unique character and decided he would be a interesting PC for use in a Mage chronicle. My basic idea so far for my character, whose name is Carl Shackleton, is that he was or is the host of a kid's TV show called The Mysterious Manor, where he played the master of the manor, Lord John Haverbrook. The show was well-known for it's Stage magic acts, which Carl often did himself, to combine with either the lesson of the day or to show off the whimsy that filled the world where the manor was in. Carl and John, while different personas, shared a lot of common traits with each other. Both were well-spoken, polite individuals with a healthy sense of humor and a fondness for children and animals, especially foxes. My idea for this character is that he somehow awakens on his 50th birthday and either ends up a Orphan or joins the Traditions. Can i have some advice on how to make this character work?

Well, most important would be the paradigm, I guess. What kind of magic(k) could a person with this background practice? What are the circumstances of his awakening? What essence would his avatar have? This would be the information you'd have to think about before anyone could really help you.

As for the rest: His Nature would be up to you but his Demeanor would most probably be "entertainer" (Book of Secrets). As for backgrounds, he'd have a bit of resources, influence, maybe contacts in the TV-industry.
    For Attributes, I would most likely put his physicals on tertiary, as he's already getting old. Social would be primary and mental secondary. Abilities he should have are probably have high Expression, some subterfuge (stage tricks), a good portion of Etiquette, some Academics (something that makes him suitable for hosting a children TV-show) and maybe some Engimas (since he's probably designing some of the mysteries of the show himself). Maybe a bit of Media (secondary Knowledge) could be useful. Usefull secondary abilities from the Book of Secrets could be Style (Talent) and Disguise (Skill) as he was/is a an actor. If he is very close to foxes, he may even have a dot in Animal Ken (Foxes).

Depending on what spheres you want and what his style of magic should be, I'd suggest putting a good portion of freebie points into abilities and maybe some attributes to reflect his long life as a sleeper. He'd probably have a hard time shedding all his old preconceptions about reality anyways, given his age.

Comment

One paradigm idea i had was one based on Stage Magic . But, that would probably make him a Orphan. I don't know what other type of paradigms a Kid's tv show host could have. He also has a dynamic avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
        One paradigm idea i had was one based on Stage Magic . But, that would probably make him a Orphan. I don't know what other type of paradigms a Kid's tv show host could have. He also has a dynamic avatar.

Generally the games assume you aren't playing someone who was "Just Awakened"(or embraced or first changed etc) but rather a period of time since they to join Mage society. So lets go through the Traditions and see what they might offer?

The Order of Hermes and Verbena are probably your most obvious choices here.. I mean most people if they woke up tomorrow and knew magic existed would probably think Order of Hermes or Verbena. You have your options going either way with that one.

Next: He died on his 50th birthday from a heart attack, but came back awakened. This can easily set him up as Euthanatos or Dreamspeaker. One would have a spirit get involved but hey its an option.

He doesn't seem particularly religious.. but Awakening can change that so there's your Choruster

Akashics... maybe he was really into martial arts on the side? I don't really have a good answer here.

Ecstatics he sounds... too stuffy for.

Etherites actually here's where it can get fun. I can easily see someone who "knows" magic is just tricks and that there's a hidden secret "rational explanation" behind it all going here. Plus the old school style mansion is very Ether vibey.

VA while I could easily see a VA who's practices include Stage Magic, I'm not sure if this would go completely against the character's concept. On the other hand maybe he got a comp sci degree and the whole Tv show thing just sort of happened.. and now he's returning to his roots.

Comment

Hollow One: The Mysterious Manor sounds just the right level of spooky. Lord John Haverbrook sounds very classy. Bringing wonder to kids it's a plus. They have no problem with tools and are very much artistically inclined.

Comment

Actually, i can see him working as either a Hollow One, Verbena, or a Etherite. Though, it might be kinda awkward for him to fit in with the Hollow Ones considering what his occupation was or is. Especially if any of the "younger" mages watched him as a kid. But, if he does become a Hollow One, i can kinda see him adapting to the Goth thing they have by dressing like Gomez Addams instead of the 18th centuary English nobleman persona he dresses like on TV.
            Last edited by Killerclown; 07-16-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Actually, i can see him working as either a Hollow One, Verbena, or a Etherite. Though, it might be kinda awkward for him to fit in with the Hollow Ones considering what his occupation was or is. Especially if any of the "younger" mages watched him as a kid. But, if he does become a Hollow One, i can kinda see him adapting to the Goth thing they have by dressing like Gomez Addams instead of the 18th centuary English nobleman persona he dresses like on TV.
              Well first of all, the Goths only comprise one of the most recent movements in the Hollow Ones, in much the same way that the Cult of Ecstasy was around before the hippies and continued on after them. The Hollow Ones are, first and foremost, Romantics, in the philosophical and artistic sense. They aren't shackled to the Macabre angle, and so this new guy doesn't have to be. Though he certainly can, and given the sort of Vincent Price vibes I'm getting off him, it wouldn't be out of place.

The point about many younger Hollow Ones potentially having been fans of his show comes off to me as an opportunity, rather than a problem. He exists in the unique position of being a fixture in their lives (albeit from a distance), who may even have inspired some of their shtick, and now is relying on them to teach him. There's also the angle that many Hollow Ones may be embarrassed to acknowledge being into such "childish" entertainment - some Hollow Ones have a habit of being aloof, serious sorts - but also have a fondness for the old man because of their history. Meaning you have younger mages who feel they are too cool to hang out with him, but would also drop anything to protect him from harm, or would even fight to defend his honor. There are undercurrents of childlike wonder and nostalgia to be explored with such a character.

Comment

18th century nobleman is plenty damned goth or at least Romantic as others have said.

As for people having been fans of his as kids(whether its Hollow Ones, Verbena, Etherite or even that random Akashic(there's always one!)) That is a Great RP hook/tie in for why the Cabal is together. I sure as hell would want to help Mr. Rogers become a better mage.

Comment

Speaking of Verbena, i think my guy if he were to join any Tradition, he would either be a Verbena, Etherite, or a Euthanatos. Though, i do wonder what use a Mr. Rogers-like guy would be to The Euthanatoi? With the Verbena, my guy would be interested in the whole protection of nature thing due to him having a love of nature as a child, especially due to oddly enough, Wind in the Willows. His love of the story is reflected in the show whenever he goes to his garden, which is populated by characters that wouldn't look too out of place in that story. But with the Etherite's, i need to determine how he would've gotten his hands on the book they hand out to prospective members.

Comment

You don't need to have read that book at all:

No Tradition wastes a potential recuit. A lot of Hermetics haven't been introduced trough formal study and probably most Etherites haven't read that book before joining (after all, Wonders are supposed to be, if not rare, at least not common)

Any apprentice introduced into the Traditions by any Tradition mage gets to choose the Tradtion they want to join. Usually the first mage they meet will try to introduce the apprentice to her own Tradition, but it's very common to guide a young mage that seems to have the mindset of another Tradition to an appropiate Mentor.

Comment

Working...
                    X