Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mokteshaf al Nour: what is the name of this group in Arabic spelling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mokteshaf al Nour: what is the name of this group in Arabic spelling?

Hello there and good evening:

Could anyone identify the Arabic spelling of the name of this group? I have tried to use an Arabic dictionary and I cannot find any words conected to gather, collect, harvest, etc... that look similar to "mokteshaf" in any way.

The help of native speakers of Arabic or anyone proficient in the language would be highly appreciated.

مُكْتَشِف النُور (with full tashkil — pronunciation diacritics) or مكتشف النور (casual spelling).
    The first word is more correctly transliterated as muktashif (though regional variations in spoken Arabic are vast) and means “discoverer” or “explorer”.
    You can search Arabic words by their Latin transliteration here: http://fuzzyarabic.herokuapp.com/

Comment

UPD: I am not speaker of Arabic, but I guess the correct translation for “The discoverers of The Light” would be something like (al)muktashifun/muktashifin al-Nour. The plural ending and first article are clearly missing from the original translation.

Comment

Originally posted by mindszenty View Post
        مُكْتَشِف النُور (with full tashkil — pronunciation diacritics) or مكتشف النور (casual spelling).
        The first word is more correctly transliterated as muktashif (though regional variations in spoken Arabic are vast) and means “discoverer” or “explorer”.
        You can search Arabic words by their Latin transliteration here: http://fuzzyarabic.herokuapp.com/
        Thanks a lot!

Comment

How would I pronounce that? By the way, what's proper Arabic spelling for The Book of the Voracious Beast from Infernalism Path of Screams?

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Michael View Post
            How would I pronounce that?
            What? مُكْتَشِف النُور?

It is pronounced... let me see... muk (like mook) ta (like tax minus the -x) SHIF (like shift minus the -t; this syllable is stressed) / an (like an) NOOR (similar to noon, but ending with a rolled -r like in Spanish or Scottish English. Oh, and stressed)

muk-ta-SHIF an-NOOR

Comment

... Thanks! ^^ I have the Natural Linguist merit and like to know this sort of stuff. ^^ How to you spell and pronounce proper Arabic for Sebel-el-Mafouh Whash or "Path of Voracious Beast" grimoire mentioned in Infernalism Path of Screams?

Comment

Originally posted by mindszenty View Post
                UPD: I am not speaker of Arabic, but I guess the correct translation for “The discoverers of The Light” would be something like (al)muktashifun/muktashifin al-Nour. The plural ending and first article are clearly missing from the original translation.
                Yeah, IIRC, they were originally mentioned in Mage: The Sorcerers' Crusade timeline, and since this was about 20 years ago, when the Internet was still in it's relatively early stages, translation issues were sometimes wonky unless the author or developer was fortunate enough to be or to know a fluent speaker of the language. And even then, you might end up with different answers from different people, depending on variables.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I guess Sebel-al-Mafouh Whash is meant to represent Sabeel al-(???) Wahsh, "Path or Way of the (Something) Beast".

The only word that sounds similar to Mafouh is mufawwah, مُفَوَّه . The problem is mufawwah means "eloquent", not "voracious".

Comment

What's the proper word for "voracious" then? Do you know?

Comment

I have found this one: NA-him. نَهِم

Comment

Yay *wing hugs Alquamar* .... By the way what does your first name mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Michael View Post
                          Yay *wing hugs Alquamar* .... By the way what does your first name mean?
                          It's a handle, not my true name, hahaha...

It means The Black (al-Aswad) Moon (al-QAmar).

Comment

So al-Aswad has nothing to do with nephandi then? An aswad is a nephandic "Oracle" or anti-saint bodhisattva.

Comment

Actually it doesn't, I picked my handle before Ascension or the 1st Book of Madness was released. Haha, I hadn't actually realized the connection until now.

All in all, Al-Aswad just means 'The Black' (as an adjective). The color black itself would be Al-Suud (actually pronounced Assuud), with a long u like the one in MOOO (the sound made by cows in comic books).

Comment

Working...
                              X