Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do technomancers think about personal quintessence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do technomancers think about personal quintessence?

You can usually quite easily find how to fit personal quintessence in most mystic mages' paradigms: mystic energy, mana, chi, spiritual favor, divine blessing, etc. But how would you do it for technomancers? I have ideas on how to fit quintessence in general (some or other weird energy theory), tass (special fuel, energy crystals, frozen lightnings, etc.) and periapts (strange batteries), but all that does not really work well with the idea of having some energy stored inside your own Pattern. How would you solve this?

For Technocrats specifically, I'd lean into Primal Utility. You have a personal net worth.
    (This might need some fudging)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      For Technocrats specifically, I'd lean into Primal Utility. You have a personal net worth.
      (This might need some fudging)
      I like the idea behind Primal Utility but I'm still not completely at ease with how to make it really work in my game. Still, that's good advice, and that could certainly be tweaked for technomancers.

Comment

The thing here isn't that technomancers don't believe psychics, mystic powers, and interdimensional entities don't exist, they just believe that such entities are Actively breaking Reality and harming humans as a result.

Your character Can store psychic energy inside themselves if absolutely necessary, but they Know they're messing with physics not native to humanity and risking they're sanity/health by doing so.(it'd also probably be vulgar, for the same reasons that primal utility and data are different from correspondence and prime. the Characters own belief their doing something harmful to humans)

Comment

I feel like it could be analogous to willpower. For instance, while players can talk about blowing a point of willpower, in game characters wouldn't, they'd just exert themselves in such a way that some personal store of power has been expended. The characters know they need to rest up or confirm their worldview before trying to do so again. The same can be said of quintessence, the Technocrat has a store of Latent Genius that in moments of inspiration allows them exceptional temporary understanding that seems to make procedures easier. These reserves can't be called upon constantly without burnout which may involve rest at a source of inspiration (i.e. node) before they do can do such work again.

On a more metaphorical level, Technocrats do have personified avatars which they sometimes interact with but view them as constructs. Personal quintessence could be an instant of exceptionally clear realization of that personification.

Just because the technocrats believe in a consistent paradigm, doesn't mean that their paradigm is some sort of base reality. They still have access to creativity, metaphor, and analogy as a framework for the processes of reality.

Comment

Storing Ether or Primal Energy or High-Frequency Electroforms etc. within your own pattern fits into many technomagickal paradigms surely? Even the Technocracy explicitly understand that they are enlightened practitioners of advanced science, and they talk about things like psionics and hyperenergetics and extra-dimensional anomalies... storing energy within your own "psionic field" hardly feels too far-fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheas View Post
              The thing here isn't that technomancers don't believe psychics, mystic powers, and interdimensional entities don't exist, they just believe that such entities are Actively breaking Reality and harming humans as a result.

Your character Can store psychic energy inside themselves if absolutely necessary, but they Know they're messing with physics not native to humanity and risking they're sanity/health by doing so.(it'd also probably be vulgar, for the same reasons that primal utility and data are different from correspondence and prime. the Characters own belief their doing something harmful to humans)
              You're confusing Technomancers and Technocrats, while also getting Technocrats wrong.

To the Technocracy everything is energy. It's not that you're storing some 'unnatural psychic energy' it's that you are on a fundamental level already nothing but a pattern made of energy. Using enlightened science, you can siphon away a bit of that energy to do things.

As for Technomancers, there's all sorts of things. The Etherites have the Luminiferous Ether and Orgone Energy. (Orgone Energy is weird BTW.)

Comment

Originally posted by Enginseer-42 View Post
                As for Technomancers, there's all sorts of things. The Etherites have the Luminiferous Ether and Orgone Energy. (Orgone Energy is weird BTW.)
                Yep, orgone is weird i'm familiar with the concept from some old reads, but I hadn't thought of making it into an etherite paradigm, that's a good idea .

Basically I got it, you just have some form of "energy" in the paradigm that can be associated with persons, and there are more ways to do it than I initially figured. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by alexendy View Post
                  You can usually quite easily find how to fit personal quintessence in most mystic mages' paradigms: mystic energy, mana, chi, spiritual favor, divine blessing, etc. But how would you do it for technomancers? I have ideas on how to fit quintessence in general (some or other weird energy theory), tass (special fuel, energy crystals, frozen lightnings, etc.) and periapts (strange batteries), but all that does not really work well with the idea of having some energy stored inside your own Pattern. How would you solve this?
                  Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
                  I feel like it could be analogous to willpower. For instance, while players can talk about blowing a point of willpower, in game characters wouldn't, they'd just exert themselves in such a way that some personal store of power has been expended. The characters know they need to rest up or confirm their worldview before trying to do so again. The same can be said of quintessence, the Technocrat has a store of Latent Genius that in moments of inspiration allows them exceptional temporary understanding that seems to make procedures easier. These reserves can't be called upon constantly without burnout which may involve rest at a source of inspiration (i.e. node) before they do can do such work again.

On a more metaphorical level, Technocrats do have personified avatars which they sometimes interact with but view them as constructs. Personal quintessence could be an instant of exceptionally clear realization of that personification.

Just because the technocrats believe in a consistent paradigm, doesn't mean that their paradigm is some sort of base reality. They still have access to creativity, metaphor, and analogy as a framework for the processes of reality.
                  Going by the impressions and ideas I get from reading M:tA books, many Technocrat Mages still have an attitude similar to and act comparably to Mages of the Order of Reason in regards to this ( Personal Quintessence, and also other things related to Prime Magick ) . So they will do what amounts to a mystic medititation, ceremony, or a channeling as their Prime Effects.

It isn't thought or talked about too much directly ; and new Technocrat Mages are sometimes initiated into it unknowingly, and receive tutelage in regards to it while not being told the honest truth that it is mysticism. It is at times brought up as example of how a Technocrat Mage can be diffrentiated from a mundane human.
                  The meditation can be related to ideals of the Technocracy or a single Convention or a Methodology, or it can be more personal - like thinking about one's friends and companions, making an oath to follow or a promise to keep for the next few days, or making considerations about a Mage's Avatar ( Genius ) .

This - mystical Prime Magick used by Technocrat Mages - is accepted by leadership of the Technocracy because it is deeply personal, often done in privacy and/or secrecy, hard to classify and check, and because it brings positive results much more often than it does not. Also, there are explanations for this that do have some overlap with at least the ideals and wider goals of the Technocracy, and in some parts with Inspired Science - for example the mind overcoming it's limits and the body following as a person goes towards and beyond her or his potential. Another used explanation is that a person can - at first unknowingly and subconciously - learn how to see clearly exceptional opportunities in situations, that occur very rarely and are very hard to notice ; and then the person unlocks her or his mind's and body's potential and capabilities to use and/or exploit those opportunities to the fullest.
                  Last edited by Muad'Dib; 09-17-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I think the issue here is.... A lot of people think of 'Inspired Science' as the Technocrats being delusional nutjobs who can't process what they're doing as 'Magick'.

It's not. It's more like the variation in meaning between saying 'I Killed Someone' and 'I Murdered Someone'. They understand all too well that they're altering reality. It shows in everything they do. The difference is a MORAL one. Not a mechanical one.

Comment

It's a little of both, really. Even in the Traditions, "imposing your Will on reality" may be the party line of how Magic works, but when younger Mages do their magic they still think of their methods (paradigm and practice) as the way things work (or at least a way). There's a disconnect between what they know is happening and what they 'know' is happening. This is going to be even more of an issue with the Technocrats. They may know that the Union is working to reshape reality, and they may know that is technically what they themselves are doing with their procedures, but they still think of their sciences as the way things work. They are going to need a 'rational' explanation of how quintessence works, to convince themselves if no one else.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
                      X