The Affinity Spell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Affinity Spell

Idea; all Mages have a single active or passive effect they can pull out as an automatic feat, with no risk of Paradox. This effect should relate to their Affinity Sphere, and potentially tie into how they awakened. A Mage might Awaken with the ability to create a small flame for a few seconds by clicking their fingers (forces), or influence the outcome of a dice roll (entropy), or move in a way when they need to dodge where they just seem to slip away from projectiles and blows by a few centimeters, almost blurring away very subtly (correspondence).

But, as a Mage improves their Arete, this effect becomes more potent. At Milestones (4, 6, 8, 9) this effect changes, becoming less of a small effect you can pull off for free, and becoming more of a serious magical (magickal?) talent.

Of course these effects will vary between individuals. Forces might have one Mage making a small flame, and another Mage creating a small electrical jolt.

As a rule of thumb, at Arete 1 you are dealing with 1 success in terms of mechanics, at 4 you are dealing with 2 (if damage needed to be calculated), at 6 you are dealing with 3, at 8 with 4 and at 9 with 5. Generally speaking the higher Arete effects emulate the result of higher level spheres.

At Arete 1 these effects can generally be explained with slight of hand, or are so difficult to sense that they can be ignored or explained as sight problems or an optical effect. At Arete 9 these effects are potent and potentially legendary.

1: A minor boon. Some useful trick which could be useful in practical ways, or reduce the difficulty of a specific roll by 1. Something which would fall within the Parlor Trick merit in M20 Book of Secrets.

4: An impressive supernatural feat, and without a roll or Paradox! Just remember that anyone with Arete 4 or higher could have one... akin to 2 successes on a relevant Arete roll.

6: Akin to 3 successes, or an amazing supernatural feat.

8: Akin to 4 successes, or a stunning ability, immunity or affinity.

9: Akin to 5 successes, and often the stuff of legends. Absolute immunity to something, or total command of it.

Correspondence:

1: The Mage can "blur" away from an attack; if they're spending the turn dodging and focus on this effect, they can reduce the difficulty by 1.

4: The Mage can teleport as thought they had 1 or 2 successes; either to somewhere within their immediate perceptions, or to a deeply familiar place (like their home or their sanctum).

6: The Mage can teleport at will, as if she had 3 successes on an Arete roll to teleport. This covers anywhere that is familiar or they have recently seen.

8: Same as before, but with 4 successes. Anywhere they have visited, even briefly.

9: The Mage can teleport to any place, even if it has only been described to her visually or through directions, immediately.

Forces:

1: A small flame can be created which lasts for a few seconds; useful if you wanted to light a cigarette or light source, or set off a chain reaction.

4: A handful of flame which is maintained with concentration; it cannot be thrown but can act as a source of fire for Forces 2 and 3 effects. A very effective tool for an arsonist or survivalist.

6: The Mage can generate streams of flame from her body, pouring perhaps from her hands or her mouth.

8: The Mage can create a tempest of flame, quickly generating forest fires and large-scale arson attacks in cities.

9: The Mage can create enormous fires as before, but also takes no damage from Fire, both supernatural and mundane.

Life:

1: The Mage is immune to the negative effects of alcohol intoxication; they become "drunk" but suffer no dice modifiers or difficulty modifiers, and can sober up very quickly if they need to. They don't suffer from Hangovers.

4: The Mage will suffer non-lethal symptoms from any mundane poison, pathogen or intoxication, but they will never kill her. Cyanide, for example, will knock her out for an extended period but not cause any permanent damage.

6: The Mage will suffer no harm from mundane poisons, pathogens, toxins etc. and will half the damage/effects of all supernatural toxins, pathogens and poisons levied at her. She could pop a pill of cyanide and suffer no effects whatsoever, and attempts to kill her with a magickal super-virus or hyper-tech toxin would inflict half damage.

8: The Mage is immune to all poisons, pathogens and toxins, supernatural or mundane, with the exception of those created with Archmagick and legendary supernatural powers, such as those of Methuselahs and Incarna.

9: The Mage is completely immune to all poisons, pathogens and toxins of all natures and forms.
    Last edited by 11twiggins; 09-16-2018, 05:17 AM.

This is interesting, i made a thread closer to It, and it looks close to the attaintment idea

Comment

I like the idea of Affinity Spells very much ; and I find the "personal trick that can be cast without rolling for it or Paradox risk" aspect interesting.
      I think something out of it is lost with the Effect getting more successes as the Mage's Arete increases. It gets away from the personal and trademark Spell. I think it should stay very narrow and niche, but become more amazing and potentially useful as the Mage's Arete increases.

So using Forces Affinity Spell of conjuring a small flame as an example.

Manifest Inner Fire

Arete 1 : With a slight amount concentration and will ( no rolling required ) the Mage can conjure a flicker of flame in hand that lasts four to five minutes; the flame's size starts at tennis ball, but with a bit of concentration can be increased to taking up the whole outstretched hand while being 40-70 centimeters tall. The color of the flame is orange-yellow.
      The hand ( the right or left can be used ) is not burned by the flame, but the rest of the Mage's body is. The flame is of moderate heat - it is warm enough to warm a person during a cold autumn rainy day, but not during a particularly cold winter day ; or to light a cigarette, or to slowly cook some kinds of food.
      The Mage can very keenly sense ( a kind of sixth sense that is centered on the Mage's limbs ) the flame's temperature at all times, no matter the circumstances and the Mage's state ( for example it doesn't matter whether the Mage is tired ) .
      The motion, color and texture of the flame is such that is very easy for the Mage to focus on the flame - it can act as a focus for meditation, it can help the Mage to calm down, it can inspire.
      Adding flameable material to the flame does not fuel the flame at all or make it larger. The flame can set things alight, but the resultant fire is a mundane one.

Arete 2 : The Mage can increase the intensity of the flame ( the size and color remains the same ) by willing it to be so ; the intensity can be increased to such so that the flame will heat a cup of water to boiling in around a minute.
      The Mage's whole body is unharmed by the flame, and the Mage is not bothered by it no matter how intense it is. The Mage's clothing and any items they carry will be burned by the flame, though.

Arete 3 : The Mage can will the flame to be of any color they wish it to be so - changing it from orange-yellow to other dual, or to single, colors takes barely any effort. With concentration and practice - that takes a long time of meditations and training, akin to becoming an artist like a painter or a musician - the Mage can change the color of the flame to any imaginable combination of differently colored hues and parts. Distinct images can be produced and maintained as part of the flame, though doing so is harder than working with the flame's colors.
      The Mage can keep the flame burning indefinitely without much, if any, effort.

Arete 4 : The flame can be willed by the Mage to be of a different shape than usual. Geometric shapes, likenesses of humans and animals, faces, symbols, letters and words...the flame can be shaped by the Mage's will and focus into all of those and more. This requires concentration and practice simillar to the what changing color of the flame requires.
      Clothes that the Mage wears and items she or he carries or holds are not burned nor singed by the flame at all ; unless the Mage wills for the flame to do so. ( The Mage cannot will the flame to burn her or his body. )

Arete 5 : By touching a fireproof surface while holding the flame, the Mage can leave the flame there , the flame either slides or jumps to the location chosen by the Mage. It will burn for between five to thirty minutes, depending how much the Mage concentrates while leaving the flame. The Mage can still decide the color, intensity, size and shape of the flame after leaving it somewhere, though she or he must be nearby to do so ; with a clear gesture or a moment of concentration, the Mage can douse the flame from a distance. The Mage must first douse a flame she or he has left, before they create the flame in their hand.

This Affinity Spell goes up to Arete 9, through Arete 6, 7 and 8 ; I have to think through those levels of this ability before posting them.
      Arete 7 or 9 ( I am still undecided ) would make making fire creating items - candles, incense, lighters - that would have the color, shape, intensity and size of their fire decided by the Mage upon creation ; and the Mage would also be able to control the flames of those items just as she or he can control the personal flames he creates.
      Another idea for Arete 6-9 is gifting a person for an amount of time with the same capabilities as the Mage in regards to controlling the personal flame,
      Yet another one is creating multiple flames, though I think this one needs some twist or additional factors to be interesting enough.

I will try to think about other kinds of Affinity Spells ( Correspondence and Prime seem hard to do, but I think they could be very interesting ) , and post them.

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

Life:

1: The Mage is immune to the negative effects of alcohol intoxication; they become "drunk" but suffer no dice modifiers or difficulty modifiers, and can sober up very quickly if they need to. They don't suffer from Hangovers.

(...)

9: The Mage is completely immune to all poisons, pathogens and toxins of all natures and forms.
      I think that this is appropriate and characterful for a Life Magick Affinity Spell.
      Last edited by Muad'Dib; 10-31-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
        I like the idea of Affinity Spells very much ; and I find the "personal trick that can be cast without rolling for it or Paradox risk" aspect interesting. I think something out of it is lost with the Effect getting more successes as the Mage's Arete increases. It gets away from the personal and trademark Spell. I think it should stay very narrow and niche, but become more amazing and potentially useful as the Mage's Arete increases.

So using Forces Affinity Spell of conjuring a small flame as an example.

Manifest Inner Fire

Arete 1 : With a slight amount concentration and will ( no rolling required ) the Mage can conjure a flicker of flame in hand that lasts four to five minutes; the flame's size starts at tennis ball, but with a bit of concentration can be increased to taking up the whole outstretched hand while being 40-70 centimeters tall. The color of the flame is orange-yellow.
        The hand ( the right or left can be used ) is not burned by the flame, but the rest of the Mage's body is. The flame is of moderate heat - it is warm enough to warm a person during a cold autumn rainy day, but not during a particularly cold winter day ; or to light a cigarette, or to slowly cook some kinds of food.
        The Mage can very keenly sense ( a kind of sixth sense that is centered on the Mage's limbs ) the flame's temperature at all times, no matter the circumstances and the Mage's state ( for example it doesn't matter whether the Mage is tired ) .
        The motion, color and texture of the flame is such that is very easy for the Mage to focus on the flame - it can act as a focus for meditation, it can help the Mage to calm down, it can inspire.
        Adding flameable material to the flame does not fuel the flame at all or make it larger. The flame can set things alight, but the resultant fire is a mundane one.

Arete 2 : The Mage can increase the intensity of the flame ( the size and color remains the same ) by willing it to be so ; the intensity can be increased to such so that the flame will heat a cup of water to boiling in around a minute.
        The Mage's whole body is unharmed by the flame, and the Mage is not bothered by it no matter how intense it is. The Mage's clothing and any items they carry will be burned by the flame, though.

Arete 3 : The Mage can will the flame to be of any color they wish it to be so - changing it from orange-yellow to other dual, or to single, colors takes barely any effort. With concentration and practice - that takes a long time of meditations and training, akin to becoming an artist like a painter or a musician - the Mage can change the color of the flame to any imaginable combination of differently colored hues and parts. Distinct images can be produced and maintained as part of the flame, though doing so is harder than working with the flame's colors.
        The Mage can keep the flame burning indefinitely without much, if any, effort.

Arete 4 : The flame can be willed by the Mage to be of a different shape than usual. Geometric shapes, likenesses of humans and animals, faces, symbols, letters and words...the flame can be shaped by the Mage's will and focus into all of those and more. This requires concentration and practice simillar to the what changing color of the flame requires.
        Clothes that the Mage wears and items she or he carries or holds are not burned nor singed by the flame at all ; unless the Mage wills for the flame to do so. ( The Mage cannot will the flame to burn her or his body. )

Arete 5 : By touching a fireproof surface while holding the flame, the Mage can leave the flame there , the flame either slides or jumps to the location chosen by the Mage. It will burn for between five to thirty minutes, depending how much the Mage concentrates while leaving the flame. The Mage can still decide the color, intensity, size and shape of the flame after he has left it somewhere ; with a clear gesture or a moment of concentration, he can douse the flame from a distance. The Mage must first douse a flame she or he left, before they create the flame in their hand.

This Affinity Spell goes up to Arete 9, through Arete 6, 7 and 8 ; I have to think through those levels of this ability before posting them.
        Arete 7 or 9 ( I am still undecided ) would make making fire creating items - candles, incense, lighters - that would have the color, shape, intensity and size of their fire decided by the Mage upon creation ; and the Mage would also be flames of those items just as she or he can control the personal flames he creates.
        Another idea for Arete 6-9 is gifting a person for an amount of time with the same capabilities as the Mage in regards to controlling the personal flame,
        Yet another one is creating multiple flames, though I think this one needs some twist or additional factors to be interesting enough.

I will try to think about other kinds of Affinity Spells ( Correspondence and Prime seem hard to do, but I think they could be very interesting ) , and post them.

I think that this is appropriate and characterful for a Life Magick Affinity Spell.
        I like that! And with the fire example, I think it's good to note that it could easily start with something else. For example, holding a small orb of darkness which seems to dim surrounding light somewhat. As you advance it can turn off nearby light sources, and with effort you can create shadow puppets and visual effects using darkness.

With my Life example, it starts with alcohol but it could easily start with herbal toxins (a witch who works with plants and mushrooms could benefit from that) or with narcotic drugs (more common with an Ecstatic for example). As it grows in power it becomes more general.

Comment

(Double post)
          Last edited by 11twiggins; 09-22-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

I like that! And with the fire example, I think it's good to note that it could easily start with something else. For example, holding a small orb of darkness which seems to dim surrounding light somewhat. As you advance it can turn off nearby light sources, and with effort you can create shadow puppets and visual effects using darkness.
            For a Forces Affinity Spell it can be Inner Light, as well.
            For Matter Magick there could be Affinity Spells that would be the same or very similar to how I described Inner Fire. The Affinity Spells would involve earth, ice, and water. A different term for them is needed, though - ' Inner Ice ' or ' Inner Water ' just doesn't sound as good and fitting as the Forces ones do.

Comment

Some ideas for Affinity Spells :

For a Correspondence Affinity Spell, I was thinking of one that grants bonuses and/or abilities to the Mage when he is travelling back to a specific location ; the location must be one that she or he at least visits regularly.

For an Entropy Affinity Spell, a set of items used in playing a game that involves random chance ; the Mage can influence the game itself, the pieces, and the persons playing it ( to a lesser extent ) .

Manifest Inner Fire ( Additional note : manifested inner flame can't be affected by Magick unless at least Prime 4 is included . )
              Arete 6-9 levels

Arete 6
              The Mage can create three flames ; though he can hold only one at a time, and has to leave a flame on a surface or douse it to manifest another one. The flames go out if the Mage tries to combine them. All of the flames have the all of the characteristics that have been outlined already, and likewise in regards to what the Mage can do with them. It is not any more taxing for two or three manifested flames to exist compared one, but the Mage might need to concentrate on and practice changing the characteristics of multiple flames. The Mage can affect one flame while holding another, but this makes it a bit harder for the Mage to focus.

Arete 7
              If the Mage warms herself or himself with one or more of her or his manifested flames, then this warmth will stay for between five to seven hours ( becoming less over the last thirty minutes of this time period ) ; not receding or giving in to cold from the surroundings. Only supernaturally induced cold can remove this warmth, and even then it happens slowly and not completely, in most cases.

Arete 8
              By holding a person's hand near the flame and saying a few words ( or through similar rituals ; the Mage is not limited to one or two ) the affected Mage wills it so this person will be unharmed by the heat of the flame and will be able to decide - almost in the same way as the Mage - the shape, color, size and intensity of the flame. This gift lasts between twenty to three hundred and forty minutes, depending on the Mage's and the person's feelings for each other and/or on what has occured during their most recent interaction(s) .
              Only one person at a time can be gifted in this way, and the Mage must wait till this gift expires before granting it to another person. The Mage can grant this gift to the same person one time after another with no consequences for doing this.
              The Mage can take away this gift at any time ; this does require some concentration and can make it harder to grant this gift to the same person in the future.
              A person granted this gift can develop and train the changing of the flame, in a comparable way to the Mage who has this Affinity Spell.

Arete 9
              The Mage can craft special fire producing items, such as as candles, matchsticks, lighters, or incense. ( The Mage chooses on type of items, but beyond this is not limited to just one type of candles or lighters of one mechanism. ) Through small rituals during the crafting process ( which can be Magickly aided ; but the items can't be conjured wholesale with Magick ) the Mage can decide the colors and shapes of the flames produced by those items ( but not the intensity or the size ) just like he can do with a manifested inner flame ; the items have the fire they produce altered permamently - whatever the Mage decides is the default state of those flames. The Mage can also will the flames from those items into different shapes and colors, in a similar way to changing the shape and color of a manifested inner flame ; the flames of the items return to their default shape and color after five to twenty minutes, depending on the Mage's choice.
              Those special items must be lit in the correct and usual way for the flames to be as the Mage decided it during the crafting process, and for the Mage being able to change the colors and shapes of the flames. The Mage can craft 5-10 candles every 2-3 days. For crafting incense it is 8-14 incense sticks every 2-3 days ; for matchsticks it's 4-10 boxes of around 40 matches each ; for lighters it is 1-3 lighters.
              The Mage can't be harmed or made uncomfortable by flames of those special items.

A person granted by the Mage the gift outlined at the Arete 8 level can also decide the shape and the color of the flames produced by those special crafted items ; this change lasts for between five and twenty minutes, depending on the choice of the person.
              Last edited by Muad'Dib; 10-31-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Affinity Spells of Technocrat Mages :

A Technocrat must choose what is effectively a Foci for her or his Affinity Spell. This Foci could be technological - such as an Iteration-Xer's device or an injection that a Progenitor prepares in her or his lab. Other possibilities include : handwritten or printed notes, personal items, or creating specific kind of art. The possibilities are many, but due to the nature of the Technocracy's Paradigm and the style(s) and assumptions within the workings of the Technocrats' Magicks they all rely on some kind of technology or - at the very least - material items and/or tangible actions. The Technocrat Mage must use this Affinity Spell Foci at all times ( with possible alterations or changes as noted in the case of a given Affinity Spell ) to use or benefit from her Affinity Spell.

Technocrats receive one major benefit in regards to their Affinity Spells. They can teach them to other Mages who follow the technocratic way of thinking and Paradigm - which means other Technocrats ; with singular, very rare exceptions in regard to Mages who aren't Technocrats. When a Technocrat receives tutelage and training in regards to an Affinity Spell from another Technocrat Mage, she replaces her Affinity Spell with the teacher's. The previous Affinity Spell might to an extent become part the Mage's Magickal capabilities.
                The tutelage can last days, months, or a few years - it all depends on the specifics of the relation between the two Technocrats, special moments and meaningful interactions they had and will have, effort put in by both Mages, the specifics of the Affinity Spell in relation to how both of the Mages see their Magick, and other factors. There are no specific requirements or rules that have to be followed in regards to such tutelage - to the extent that a young Technocrat student or researcher could teach her Affinity Spell to a senior regional leader of the Technocracy ; another example is that being from the same Convention is not at all an insurmountable requirement. Each case of Affinity Spell tutelage between Technocrats is a dynamic and deeply personal imparting and sharing of knowledge and methods.
                Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-04-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

A set of Correspondence Affinity Abilities - One's Own Place

The Mage chooses to associate ( for example ) an item, a way of thinking or feeling, or a gesture with a place that the Mage either lives at, or regularly frequents. The criteria for picking the place are not at all strict or easily defined ; though they tend to be places ( for example ) important for the Mage because of some activity or meeting there with other persons, or the place where the Mage lives, or places where some singular and important event happened, or places that the Mage has specifically noted and thought about because of some characteristics ( like the appearance of the surroundings or some unusual geographical qualities ) . The Mage can only have one such place at a time. These Affinity Abilities are used by focusing briefly on an item, a way of thinking, or performing a gestures or gestures, that the Mage chose to associate with the place. The means of using these Affinity Abilities can be changed by the Mage with relatively little effort put into it.
                  Each level is gained as the Mage raises in Arete. Arete 1 is level 1, Arete 2 is level 2 etc. Advancing in Correspondence beyond the first level is not required to gain higher levels of this Affinity Spell.

Level 1 - The Mage knows in which direction the chosen place is. This knowledge can be used to work out where other places are, as the Mage is always certain of at least one point in space.

Level 2 - The Mage knows how far away from the chosen place she or he is ; by thinking about it, the Mage can browse through various ways to describe and measure this. Thus the Mage can know the distance in kilometers, or know how long it would take to get to the place by walking, running, or using a means of transportation. In this knowledge, the Mage with practice and effort can learn account for delays or haste made.

Level 3 - The Mage does not feel tired at all while walking back to the chosen place, as if kept rested and awake by a strong Prime, Mind, or Life Effect. If the Mage already didn't feel tired, then she or he will feel energized, at ease, and content while traveling back to the place. This enables Mage to benefit from time spent traveling back, as they more capable of ruminations and deductions ; the Mage can also act better during any chance meetings or unexpected events that happen on the way back.

Level 4 - While using these Affinity Abilties within the levels 1-3 capabilities, the Mage becomes aware of any meetings with persons or unexpected, unusual events that will happen on the way back to the place. The Mage receives brief looks and visions at the places where the events will occur, and gets a precise idea of when it will be.

Level 5 - The Mage can, with a small amount of concentration, scry on the place at any time, from any place, with a very precise, flexible scrying ; one that enables the Mage to detect hidden ( including through supernatural means, though this takes a separate effort on the Mage's part ) items and persons, or unusual phenomena ( like Correspondence Effects of other Mages, or Effects of Mages that linger due to Prime stabilizing them ) .
                  While being at the place, the Mage can scry on parts of the routes that the Mage previously traveled while going back to the place - though without being capable to detect hidden persons and items, or unusual phenomena. This scrying is limited to locations at most 45 kilomteres away from the chosen place.

I am not sure if this set of Affinity Abilities isn't too weak at levels 1-3, while being too strong at levels 4-5. Later I will write-up levels 6-9 ; currently I have them outlined, but I would like them to be more complex, more evocative and representative of the Correspondence Magick kind, and more personal in regard to the Mage that has these Affinity Abilities.
                  Last edited by Muad'Dib; 11-20-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

This turned out to be more Affinity Abilities, than an Affinity Spell.

A set of Correspondence Affinity Abilities, One's Own Place.
                    Levels 6-9

Level 6 - The Mage can teleport back to the chosen place once per 18-26 hours. The Mage must not be seen at all by mundane humans while doing this ; though there are exceptions to this - if a person is observing the Mage while the person is hidden, or from a long distance, then the Mage will still be able to use this Ability.

Level 7 - The Mage can discern and browse through all inanimate items that are at chosen place ; the Mage can do this from any location. The Mage can teleport and shift items that she owns ( or that the owner gave her permission to use ) at the chosen place, while being at the place. There aren't any limits to this, but using this Ability under this assumption will quickly tire the Mage mentally and she will be unable to use this Ability for at least a period of time ( twenty to thirty minutes, or a few hours ) .

Level 8 - The Mage can co-locate to the chosen place once per every 18-26 hours. The limit is one projection of the Mage. The Mage can perform full array of physical actions, but cannot cast Magick through this co-location.
                    The Mage can take items from the place ; including taking items into a pockets, or into a bag or a backpack that the Mage was carrying before using this Ability. The Mage can also leave any items that she carries at the place ; but it must be items that she was carrying before using this Ability ( So there is no possibility with this Ability to leave some items at the place, then pick up new ones, and also leave them. )

Level 9 - Through a short personal interaction, the Mage can gift levels 1-5 capabilities of this set of Affinity Abilities to another person ; except the level 5 capability of scrying at routes to the chosen place. The Mage can do this selectively for each capability of a given level, picking them as she wants ; but changing this requires another personal interaction.
                    The person who is being gifted must be aware of what she is being given to at least to a large extent ; the Mage must also give her an item through which she will use those Abilities. This item does not give the Mage any Correspondence Connection to the person. The Mage can teleport away this item at any time the person is not holding it in her hands ; this takes away this gift from the person. If this is done, the person cannot be gifted for at least eight days, possibly for as long as a few months. Only one such person can exist at a given time.
                    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 10-31-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I thought up and wrote up the beginning of a Prime Affinity Spell.

The Mage with this Affinity Spell chooses a concept, an idea, a person, an event, an item etc. important and meaningful to her or him.
                      Each level is gained as the Mage raises in Arete. Arete 1 is level 1, Arete 2 is level 2 etc. Advancing in Prime beyond the first level is not required to gain higher levels of this Affinity Spell.

Level 1 - Through meditating briefly upon the chosen [ phenomenon ] the Mage can gain one additional special point of Quintessence beyond what she could otherwise store in her Pattern. The Mage can do this meditation one to three times during each day. This counts as Personal Quintessence in all respects.

Level 2 - Through considerable effort and ruminations, the Mage can create a Periapt that can store one point of the special Quintessence gained through the first level. This enables the Mage to then use level 1 of this Affinity Spell to gain an additional point of special Quintessence that will be stored in the Mage's Pattern.
                      This Periapt can be created once every few days if it is lost or destroyed. A lost one fades away as a new one is created. Any damage can be repaired by the Mage through concentration and effort.

Level 3 - Once per day the Mage can gain two points of the special Quintessence, storing one her or his Pattern and another in the Periapt created through level 2 of this Affinity Spell.

Level 4 - The Mage can expand two points of the special Quintessence at once while casting an Effect to gain an additional success.

Level 5 - When the Mage uses the Special Quintessence ( in any way ) in regard to casting an Effect, she can add two to one die rolled. This cancels any negative effects of the unmodified numbers rolled on a die ( including rolled ones in regard to botches ) . This can occur once per each Effect the Mage casts, regardless of the number of Special Quintessence used in regard to it.

Comment

I am not very happy with the above write-up of Prime Affinity Abilities. Maybe focusing on Quintessence is too limiting. Also, I think it is better that these Affinity Abilities, and the Quintessence gained through them, should only be able to be used in regard to Spells directly related to or directly contributing towards the chosen concept or idea.

Here is a new set of Affinity Abilities ( later I will try to think up and write up the remaining levels 6 to 9. ) :

Manifested Concept - a set of Prime Affinity Abilities

The Mage chooses a concept or an idea important and meaningful to her or him. This must one that is narrowed down - music is too broad, but classical music can be chosen.

Level 1 - The Mage can sense the concept or idea. By concentrating briefly, the Mage activates this sense ; and will recognize items, places, persons, or events that are distinctly connected to the chosen concept. This might manifest as a slight glow, a bit of glittering color, a brief melody, a characteristic scent, or a quality to the texture felt through touch.

Level 2 ( or level 3 ) - The Mage can manifest a series of sounds ( which can be a melody ) and a scent that she associates with the chosen concept. This manifestation lasts from around half a minute to two minutes. She or he can do this manifestation three to eight times per day, with manifestations of sounds and scent both counting towards the same limit. Both sounds and scent can be manifested at once, but this counts as two instances of using this Affinity Ability.

Level 3 ( or level 2 ) - The Mage can manifest an image that she associates with the chosen concept. The image can be maintained for up to five minutes. She can do this two to five times per day. This image can be changed, but this can only be done once every three to five days.
                        Level 2 and Level 3 are interchangeable ; a Mage could learn level 3 before level 2.

Level 4 - The Mage can impart sounds or an image to small ( that is : ones that can be grasped in one hand ) item. The sounds are heard by anyone who holds the item. The image is a relatively small imprint on the surface of the item. This Affinity Ability can be used once per day, and it lasts for three to five weeks.

Level 5 - The Mage can conjure a small decorative item - which can be wearable, like a ring or a necklace - representative of the chosen concept. This item is Consecrated to the Mage, and can be used as a Periapt. Any wear or damage to it repairs itself over a period of two days at most. The item will fade if the Mage loses it, forgets where it is, and does not find it in five to eight days. If the item is destroyed in any way, the Mage can recreate it ; but this can only be done once every fifteen to twenty days.

I am considering doing one set of Prime Affinity Abilities incorporating both the Affinity Abilities from this post, and the Abilities from the previous post.
                        Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-05-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X