Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Knowledge would cover knowledge of your own magickal faction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Knowledge would cover knowledge of your own magickal faction?

Hi,

The way Knowledges are split in M20 is driving me crazy. From what I understand:
    • Occult is mostly knowledge of the "secret history" and of the existence, history and practices of mostly non-awakened occult groups.
    • Esoterica is mystic know-how, the technical skill (= more or less equivalent to Technology) of alchemists, high ritual magicians, yogi, etc.
    • Lore is knowledge of other awakened groups and supernatural entities - the Technocracy (for a mystic mage), vampires, werewolves, etc.
    So what would be the Knowlege to know stuff about your own magickal faction? The Status background would clearly apply - if you're the big man or woman yourself you obviously know the structure you're in - and others (Allies and Chantry especially) could be relevant too, but it is also possible to be merely well-informed without having personal ties. What should I roll to determine what a character knows about a notable figure from their own Tradition, or the local chantries in a given city, or some piece of awakened history (say, the story of the First Cabal)?

I would be tempted to house rule that it is covered by Occult, which would make some sense (Occult = knowledge of your own magical society; if you're a sleeper it's just non-awakened occult groups, if you're awakened it's also your own group) and make the skill less useless than it currently is (in my eyes, anyway).

Originally posted by alexendy View Post
    I would be tempted to house rule that it is covered by Occult, which would make some sense (Occult = knowledge of your own magical society; if you're a sleeper it's just non-awakened occult groups, if you're awakened it's also your own group) and make the skill less useless than it currently is (in my eyes, anyway).
    I agree with that. Keep it simple.

Comment

Occult with a specialization in the faction for learning about factions other than your own is how we do it.

Lore is required if it's a different group: Technocract, vampires, etc.

Comment

Yeah, I think Esoterica is unnecessary - it's just low level Occult skil to me. I can see the point of having a seperate skill for extra groups, I guess, but you could just handle that with characterf knowledge gleaned through play, rather than needing to create an Ability for it.

I'd prefer to boil it down to a single stat - Occult - too.

Comment

Post-Ascension, I ended up going back and creating a simplified universal Ability set for all my games (8 each of talents, skills and knowledges), and repurposed Lore as the knowledge one has of their own game line (primarily one's own Tradition, including its beliefs and customs, but also the Traditions as a whole, and the dangers of the Nephandi, Technocracy and Marauds). Occult covered spirits, and what information (or mis-information) one had about other supernatural beings, as well as practical interactions with them.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
          X