The minor sphere of necromancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The minor sphere of necromancy

Hi everyone, I have been working on a minor sphere based around, you guessed it, necromancy!

I’m just curious if anybody would like to throw their two cents in or Chuck some ideas at me, maybe share their own spin on this concept, as I’m sure it has been done before and probably posted about too.

Below are some of my basic ideas for how the sphere works

1) Sense ghost, divine cause of death, sense death, sense causes death
    2) Contact ghost, create charm from dead tass, shape the dead, scry dead-lands
    3) bind ghost, create artifact from dead tass, animate dead, kill living, enter dead-lands
    4) create talisman from dead tass, gateway to dead-lands, kill living and animate corpse/bind ghost

I imagine when you reach rank 5, you get to the level of being able to create intelligent undead (the animating process becomes complex enough to exceed mere unthinking automatons).

Another good one: Lichdom. If you reach this level of proficiency with necromancy, you ought to be able to transcend life and death, becoming an undying Lich. May or may not require conjunction with other Spheres/Minor Spheres, but I lean towards few to none other Spheres. After all, a Necromancy Minor Sphere is highly specialized for the purposes of manipulating the barrier of mortality.

As an aside, rank 2 should include the ability to manipulate the Shroud, making it easier or harder for wraiths to affect the Skinlands.

Comment

Isn't it very difficult for a living human to physically enter the Shadowlands with mortal magick and sorcery? And by very difficult, I mean "almost impossible within the lore". The only exceptions I know of are extremely potent magick which involves a ritual "death" which you then recover from, and the blood magic of Cainites, who are dead themselves... for example a Master Necromancer can bring a human through into the shadowlands with the right rituals.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
        Isn't it very difficult for a living human to physically enter the Shadowlands with mortal magick and sorcery? And by very difficult, I mean "almost impossible within the lore". The only exceptions I know of are extremely potent magick which involves a ritual "death" which you then recover from, and the blood magic of Cainites, who are dead themselves... for example a Master Necromancer can bring a human through into the shadowlands with the right rituals.
        I think learning a minor sphere accounts for the difficulty of the feat.
        The ritual death bit is just a Focus thing. It is not hardwired into the sphere rules.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

I do something similar by porting the Death Arcana from Awakening as the 10th sphere.

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

I think learning a minor sphere accounts for the difficulty of the feat.
            The ritual death bit is just a Focus thing. It is not hardwired into the sphere rules.
            Exactly. If modern mages have to go to circuitous lengths to access the Shadowlands, it's not necessarily because that's the only way to do it.

As I recall, Dead Magic 2 contended that, with the right mindset, a mage should be able to step sideways into the Shadowlands with just Spirit 3. There's also that one Merit that lets a character do the same thing. That might simply be evidence of the character being predisposed towards the Low Umbra. It mean said mage has something that cannot be acquired or tuned to in mages without the Merit.

Mindset and belief matter a great deal in Mage. The Spheres can theoretically do anything. Why should a specific prohibition about bodily entering the Shadowlands be insurmountable?

Comment

Void Engineers can enter bodily too by using a modification of the agama rote that uses Life 4 instead of 2 (as per their revised book). And the Underworld isn't their specialty.

There are also roads that can take you there from "regular" Umbra without further magick (much like you can do with the DigiWeb), like finding the Axis Mundi and going down their rots or using roads that are within certain afterlives that can be found in the Astral Umbra. It's pretty epic, but if all you got is a hammer...

The disadvantage of such bodily travel it's that every Ghost can sense you're alive. Agama allows to "disguise" your life force from their special senses (there's an opposed roll, but that's better that being found automatically).

I agree that learningt a specialized Sphere easily covers the "extra effort" that traveling to the Underworld represents, trough probably hidding your life force would require further magick.

Comment

Working...
              X