No announcement yet.

Technocracy Archmasters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue with 6-9 spheres was that they were not really equally fun/balanced... I think Archsphere 6 could be revisited. Or even have it Archsphere levels:
    Archmage, Exemplar, and Oracle/Ascension. Archmage would represent the first level of Archspheres. Exemplars are not limited to Exemplars, it just represents another level of achievement, maybe from learning multiple Archspheres or raising Arete to at least 8. And Oracle Spheres represent powers only the Ascended and Oracles can use since they touch upon the meta state of the universe.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      The issue with 6-9 spheres was that they were not really equally fun/balanced... I think Archsphere 6 could be revisited. Or even have it Archsphere levels:
      Archmage, Exemplar, and Oracle/Ascension. Archmage would represent the first level of Archspheres. Exemplars are not limited to Exemplars, it just represents another level of achievement, maybe from learning multiple Archspheres or raising Arete to at least 8. And Oracle Spheres represent powers only the Ascended and Oracles can use since they touch upon the meta state of the universe.

I like that idea, but I wouldn't put "Exemplar" as a level below "Oracle" in the same sense as "Adept" it's below "Master". I think that those aren't mere steps in the path to enligthement, but radicaly different approaches to the proverbial summit of the Golden Path - or different ways to fail such Ascencion - in any case it's at the end of the road.

I would keep the 6th level as Archmagedom and say that anything beyond (Exemplar, Ocacle, Godlike) it's a diferent type of reach, but none it's below the other in terms of "rank" (i.e: Exemplars are more focused while Oracles are more versatile. Gods are focused but into a concept rather than a Sphere, etc.).

Comment

Yeah, I just didn’t know what name I would give it so I went with Exemplar because it sounded cool, that’s why it’s not limited to Exemplars. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

In my current game, we are using a system for Archspheres that was inspired by a post somewhere in this forum. It described a more universal approach for what each specific dot avove 5 could accomplish, adopting the concept of a Metapattern. With this, most powers described in Masters of the Arts are actually possible, even within their described level. However, this approach is quite demanding for player and ST (as I suspect the application of Archspheres is anyways).
          I've limited the Spheres possible for "normal" Archmages to 7 anyways, leaving all higher sphere levels for Exemplars or even Arch-Exemplars (basically the entities that defined the nine Spheres in the first place, as this is part of the cosmology in my game). Theoretically my player could get up to sphere level 9 if she really wanted (but she doesn't want her Character to become an Exemplar), so for now she is stuck with Entropy, Mind and Spirit at 6, which makes for a very powerful mage, able to read the destiny of entire cities and possibly communicating with forces like the actual Celestines (and also Grandmothers Network of Spectres in its entirety).

Comment

I like that.

I think Archspheres should passively make the rest of the sphere easier too.

So maybe Exemplars are stronger then Oracles but Oracles can do some Things only Oracles and Ascended can do?

Comment

Exemplars would have the Sphere restriction as described in Masters of the Art. They are no longer able to raise most other spheres in favor for being able to fully (or nearly fully) grasp the power of their chosen Sphere. They don't need as much experience to raise their Sphere and can raise it above their Arete rating, making it possible to reach a rating of 9 in their Sphere without further Seekings.

Oracles, on the other hand, would already have reached Arete 10 and would be able to raise every single Sphere to a rating of 7, if they make it that long.

As for Ascension, since my game is pretty dark, my players character currently thinks it is a trap, basically turning her into a being akin of the Triad (crossover game). That means, a being that perpetuates it's own universe, dreaming entire realms and worlds, solar systems and everything, devising all the rules and that maybe this is why "our" Wyrm is so bent on destroying creation. Because it is tired of dreaming this way.
              In her logic, the Nephandi and the Al-I-Batin are all on to something, the same thing actually, but that great goal of Unity with the universe (or void) is all just a big trap of the Wyrm making sure it can die at some point. And since this are the thoughts of an established Archmage, who am I to object? (I'm the ST i know, but seriously I love this theory!)

For a more... classic approach, I'd make it possible for an ascended being to basically be the story device I need. No limits applied. If you've come this far you deserve the whole truth and not just a speck of it. The only limiting factors would be it's motivations and/or visions for the world.

Comment

Just a heads up - Damian, as in "Precepts of", is listed on the Wiki as an NWO Archmaster and Reginald Proctor as a Syndicate one. Johannes Kepler is another Void Engineer one.

Comment

Working...
                X