X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebakunin
    started a topic Technocracy Archmasters

Technocracy Archmasters

Is there a list of Technocracy Archmasters (Archmages) somewhere? For example, a list that includes Tychoides and Turing. Thanks.

• Czernobog
    replied
    Just a heads up - Damian, as in "Precepts of", is listed on the Wiki as an NWO Archmaster and Reginald Proctor as a Syndicate one. Johannes Kepler is another Void Engineer one.

Leave a comment:

• TheVarulfen
    replied
    Exemplars would have the Sphere restriction as described in Masters of the Art. They are no longer able to raise most other spheres in favor for being able to fully (or nearly fully) grasp the power of their chosen Sphere. They don't need as much experience to raise their Sphere and can raise it above their Arete rating, making it possible to reach a rating of 9 in their Sphere without further Seekings.

Oracles, on the other hand, would already have reached Arete 10 and would be able to raise every single Sphere to a rating of 7, if they make it that long.

As for Ascension, since my game is pretty dark, my players character currently thinks it is a trap, basically turning her into a being akin of the Triad (crossover game). That means, a being that perpetuates it's own universe, dreaming entire realms and worlds, solar systems and everything, devising all the rules and that maybe this is why "our" Wyrm is so bent on destroying creation. Because it is tired of dreaming this way.
    In her logic, the Nephandi and the Al-I-Batin are all on to something, the same thing actually, but that great goal of Unity with the universe (or void) is all just a big trap of the Wyrm making sure it can die at some point. And since this are the thoughts of an established Archmage, who am I to object? (I'm the ST i know, but seriously I love this theory!)

For a more... classic approach, I'd make it possible for an ascended being to basically be the story device I need. No limits applied. If you've come this far you deserve the whole truth and not just a speck of it. The only limiting factors would be it's motivations and/or visions for the world.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I like that.

I think Archspheres should passively make the rest of the sphere easier too.

So maybe Exemplars are stronger then Oracles but Oracles can do some Things only Oracles and Ascended can do?

Leave a comment:

• TheVarulfen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    The issue with 6-9 spheres was that they were not really equally fun/balanced... I think Archsphere 6 could be revisited. Or even have it Archsphere levels:
    Archmage, Exemplar, and Oracle/Ascension. Archmage would represent the first level of Archspheres. Exemplars are not limited to Exemplars, it just represents another level of achievement, maybe from learning multiple Archspheres or raising Arete to at least 8. And Oracle Spheres represent powers only the Ascended and Oracles can use since they touch upon the meta state of the universe.

In my current game, we are using a system for Archspheres that was inspired by a post somewhere in this forum. It described a more universal approach for what each specific dot avove 5 could accomplish, adopting the concept of a Metapattern. With this, most powers described in Masters of the Arts are actually possible, even within their described level. However, this approach is quite demanding for player and ST (as I suspect the application of Archspheres is anyways).
    I've limited the Spheres possible for "normal" Archmages to 7 anyways, leaving all higher sphere levels for Exemplars or even Arch-Exemplars (basically the entities that defined the nine Spheres in the first place, as this is part of the cosmology in my game). Theoretically my player could get up to sphere level 9 if she really wanted (but she doesn't want her Character to become an Exemplar), so for now she is stuck with Entropy, Mind and Spirit at 6, which makes for a very powerful mage, able to read the destiny of entire cities and possibly communicating with forces like the actual Celestines (and also Grandmothers Network of Spectres in its entirety).

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Yeah, I just didn’t know what name I would give it so I went with Exemplar because it sounded cool, that’s why it’s not limited to Exemplars. :P

Leave a comment:

• Aleph
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    The issue with 6-9 spheres was that they were not really equally fun/balanced... I think Archsphere 6 could be revisited. Or even have it Archsphere levels:
    Archmage, Exemplar, and Oracle/Ascension. Archmage would represent the first level of Archspheres. Exemplars are not limited to Exemplars, it just represents another level of achievement, maybe from learning multiple Archspheres or raising Arete to at least 8. And Oracle Spheres represent powers only the Ascended and Oracles can use since they touch upon the meta state of the universe.

I like that idea, but I wouldn't put "Exemplar" as a level below "Oracle" in the same sense as "Adept" it's below "Master". I think that those aren't mere steps in the path to enligthement, but radicaly different approaches to the proverbial summit of the Golden Path - or different ways to fail such Ascencion - in any case it's at the end of the road.

I would keep the 6th level as Archmagedom and say that anything beyond (Exemplar, Ocacle, Godlike) it's a diferent type of reach, but none it's below the other in terms of "rank" (i.e: Exemplars are more focused while Oracles are more versatile. Gods are focused but into a concept rather than a Sphere, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
    Mind that at the time some of the statted NPC had a rare sphere level 6 (like Porthos), there *were* no Level 9 spheres, game-mechanics wise. Most of those characters are made with the old "6th sphere level = The ArchSphere" system in mind, from the Horizon book.

Which wasn't a bad system. I personally can't decide if I like the 6th-level ArchSphere system from Horizon or the 6-9 system from Masters Of The Art more.
    In a way, the latter gives more flexible steps to the Archspheres (But clearly NPC-only ones near the end), while the Horizon one is more simple.
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-spheres/page4

The #46 has said a lot about ArchSpheres in Writer's prospective... I think it is available.

They try to avoid thing like "ArchSpheres " at first . The highest Sphere is just Lv.6 until The Horizon : The Stronghold of Hope. Of course , settings changed later .
    Last edited by Rock113; 10-23-2018, 02:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ambrosia
    replied
    Mind that at the time some of the statted NPC had a rare sphere level 6 (like Porthos), there *were* no Level 9 spheres, game-mechanics wise. Most of those characters are made with the old "6th sphere level = The ArchSphere" system in mind, from the Horizon book.

Which wasn't a bad system. I personally can't decide if I like the 6th-level ArchSphere system from Horizon or the 6-9 system from Masters Of The Art more.
    In a way, the latter gives more flexible steps to the Archspheres (But clearly NPC-only ones near the end), while the Horizon one is more simple.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Anyone have headcannon ideas for Techies Control? How many members? How many are Infernal? What did each get for becoming Nephandi? Any Wooden Cyborgs or Math Wizards? Any Newish Members? Do they have any members over 2k year old?

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
    I think if Faraday were an Exemplar with 9 dots of Forces, I feel like the he's using the Technocracy as a research tool more than the the Technocracy is using him, but a useful coincidence. It's also interesting to note that if his in-world birthday were actually born in 1791 and the strong nuclear force were discovered in 1935 that means he got there in no more than 134 years which seems super fast.

Aside: I find it interesting when some characters are listed as Arcane 7. That's at the range where you're nearly impossible to remember yet Al-Aswad is almost universally known as recognized. I guess when you're the First Being To Sell Himself to the Outer Dark, things may work differently.
    Uh , I also think about Al-aswad , does his well-known just come from that he is the First being selling himself to the Outer Darkness ? I guess his over overpowerful may work more ...

Leave a comment:

• TheVarulfen
    replied
    You don't need Forces 9 to do what Faraday did (or what his write up says he did) as he did just have to create a scientific explanation for his theories so the Union could incorporate it in it's consensus. So he doesn't even have to be an archmage at all.

Actually this makes me think if Archspheres aren't just the effect of heavy, high influence Consensus workings. Grand scale reality hackings can do what Archspheres can do with actually a rather similar amount of effort.

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
    I think if Faraday were an Exemplar with 9 dots of Forces, I feel like the he's using the Technocracy as a research tool more than the the Technocracy is using him, but a useful coincidence. It's also interesting to note that if his in-world birthday were actually born in 1791 and the strong nuclear force were discovered in 1935 that means he got there in no more than 134 years which seems super fast.

Aside: I find it interesting when some characters are listed as Arcane 7. That's at the range where you're nearly impossible to remember yet Al-Aswad is almost universally known as recognized. I guess when you're the First Being To Sell Himself to the Outer Dark, things may work differently.
    May Al-Aswad chooses to make himself well-known ... to aid his plan ...

And , not offense , to be honest, I still can't imagine a 200+ -year-old mage has Force 9 ... One is as I have
    said before , Any Lv.9 Sphere is Plot Device , A guy having one of them is the most powerful being in the world , even Antes of Vampire should pay much attention (See Porthos , he is "just" 500+ years old and has "only" one Lv.6 Sphere and no Meths-level Abilities, but he is a"Virtual Oracle" and the most powerful mage in Traditions...).

Another is that Force 9 is very difficult to learn(At least hundreds of years in most conditions , but commonly thousands of years ...) . For example , Aswadims of Nephandi are all more than 2900 years old , but such Badass mages "only" dare to say they all have Arete 7+ , not Sphere 7+ ...
    Last edited by Rock113; 10-20-2018, 05:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PhillyCuriosity
    replied
    Originally posted by Czernobog View Post

According to his write-up Faraday merged electricity and magnetism, then created the strong and weak nuclear forces. That's what Forces 9 does. The Traditions are very very lucky he's not around anymore.

Yes, true.

They seem to be very rare. Dante, the unstoppable Villain Sue from the Hell on Earth scenario, Medea, Akrites Salonikas ... I think that's all of them mentioned.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X