Life Expectancy of Mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Expectancy of Mages

A player and I had a disagreement on the lifespan of mages vs sleepers. The player thought mages would have much shorter remaining expectancy than identically aged sleepers and I said it's probably something close to even.

I broke the lifespan of a mage into a few parts:
    Post awakening - Soon after awakening, there's some infant mortality, mages that awaken then kind of explode.
    0-3 years - Recruiting phase. Mage is an asset more than a threat. Factions in the Ascension war less likely to kill vs try to recruit. If the character has picked a faction, they're likely in some sort of apprenticeship.
    5-10 years - Peak danger. Mage is potent but neither experienced enough to be prepared for everything nor vital enough to saved. This is the Men in Black phase, the House Flambeau Technocracy raid phase, the Nephandus trying-to-impress-the-adsinistratus phase. This struck me as the most dangerous time.
    10 year to mage's normal life span - Danger is still present but greater power and experience and likely ties to community is making life safer faster than making it more dangerous.
    Beyond mortal life expectancy - The mage may have procedures or effects in place to slow aging, stop aging, or go to the Umbra instead of normal mortal death. Once here, the mage can last centuries which kind of makes up for the earlier more death-prone phases. For instance, Porthos lasted roughly six centuries. Let's assume, over the last few centuries, awakening occurred when one had 50 years of life (late teens through 20s) left normally as a mortal, he plus 12 mages dying immediately on awakening average out to normal human life span.

How do you think life expectancy varies across a mage's awakened life and vs a sleeper?

Signficantly longer as they can actually do things about it. Plus you have people who go off and live forever.. so it really unbalances things.

Sure the Technocracy can potentially cause issues if you're an ascension warrior.. but your average sleeper has for example A much higher chance of being eaten by a vampire, or getting cancer from a Pentex product.

Comment

Mundanes, as they usually don't have supernatural powers and/or friendly wizards to protect them, have a relatively higher chance of dying stabbed or shot in a world that's significantly more violent than ours. To not mention a much higher chance of dying of sicknesses (both supernatural and entirely natural) or other health hazards, as most mages tend to know a Life mage or two.

One has to balance that with the presures of the Ascencion War and searching dangerous supernatural knowledge, but the War isn't as bad as it sounds for demography because Technocrats are wining and Traditionalists aren't "kill on sight" targets (it's much better to capture them). I dare say most of the casualities of the War are sleepers.
      Last edited by Aleph; 10-19-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I'd say once you get past a hundred or so the odds of anything killing you drop WAY down. We know there are at least a handful of currently living mages that predate the Christian era (Medea, the Chou Yan founders of the Wu Keng) and one who appears to go back to prehistory (Al-Aswad).

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
          Mundanes, as they usually don't have supernatural powers and/or friendly wizards to protect them, have a relatively higher chance of dying stabbed or shot in a world that's significantly more violent than ours. To not mention a much higher chance of dying of sicknesses (both supernatural and entirely natural) or other health hazards, as most mages tend to know a Life mage or two.

One has to balance that with the presures of the Ascencion War and searching dangerous supernatural knowledge, but the War isn't as bad as it sounds for demography because Technocrats are wining and Traditionalists aren't "kill on sight" targets (it's much better to capture them). I dare say most of the casualities of the War are sleepers.

Honestly it seems like at least in the books there's alot of people on both Technocracy and Tradition sides who basically just.. sit in their place and do whatever. Whether its a creepy mansion no one goes to or its a Technocracy lab.. I mean Magick makes it pretty easy to drop out of society without losing anything.

Comment

Working...
          X