Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please give me some advice for my friend...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please give me some advice for my friend...

Things started from my friend , he wanted a powerful (not Overpowerful ) mage , so he created a NPC ... this is his Sheet ...

The Zero
    Essence : Pattern
    Nature : Berserk
    Demeanor : Fantastic
    Orphan
    Physical : Strength 6 , Dexterity 5 , Stamina 6
    Social : Charisma 4 , Manipulation 6 , Appearance 3
    Mental : Perception 5 , Intelligence 6 , Wits 5
    Talents : Awareness 6 , Alterness 5 , Athletics 6 ,
    Brawl 6 , Dodge 6 , Streetwise 5 , Intimidation 6 , Expression 5
    Skills : Drive 5 , Firearms 6 , Melee 6 , Stealth 5 , Survival 5 , Technology 4
    Knowledge : Cosmology 4 , Computer 6 , Enigmas 5 , Investigation 5 , Occult 6 , Medicine 5 , Linguistic 6 ,
    Spheres : All Lv.5 Spheres
    Arete : 5
    Background : Avatar 6
    Quintessence : 15
    Paradox : 0
    True Faith : 3

He doesn't want Badass guys like Archmages ... So he created this guy . So what should happen when this kind of mage exists ? And how to write his Background ?

PS : He wants to put this guy into " Hell on Earth " ...
    Last edited by Rock113; 10-24-2018, 07:33 PM.

I think an Archmage is a Plot Device , but what a Master like this should become ? In theory he can use all Rotes ... don't know what does he think …

PS : Maybe he can be something like "Orphan Oracle " ?
    Last edited by Rock113; 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Having all Spheres at 5 does not make one an Oracle. There's a character with all spheres at 5 in the canon that was reputed to be an Oracle, but it was false. The false Oracle was actually a sentient AI in the digital web. Oracles are more badass than Archmages and can use Archspere-level powers, as per MotA.

SO, that dude it's perfect in combat and magick and knows a lot of stuff both about occult and tech...but doesn't have any money, friends, or even acquaintances.

If I were to tell the honest truth, I think it's a murderhobo and I would have demanded lot's of stuff from that player...but let's not be honest, honest is not fun:

I wouldn't make this dude an Oracle, but neither a normal human being or even a normal mage. Normal dudes aren't like that. I would make him the consequence of a magical catastrophe or experiment, perhaps the amalgam of various mages and Avatars (explaining an Avatar above 5).

My 2 cents:

He's what remains of Control, the mythical figure that represented the will of the Inner Council of the Technocracy, after the Avatar Storm got the best of him. Rumors say Control isn't a mage, or even human, but he has a char sheet of one. He had a similar char sheet in the Guide to the Technocracy (nearly everything at 5) but a lot of backgrounds (like, Resources 10, Contacts 10...etc). Some stuff will need to be lowered, some stuff will need to be raised, but time and magical catastrophes change people.
      Let's say that after being nearly eliminated by the Storm he lost all of that with his identity. Now the storm is gone (the Unnamed took care of it) and the Inner Council it's either death or waiting to be killed, but Control it's back. And a hobbo because he's just appeared from the Umbra without any memory. With odd knowledges and incredible powers that manifest trough technology but hasn't made yet any aquaintance and don't quite understands what's hapening, he calls himself The Zero now (appropiate for someone with no identity).
      He's Berserk because he's really confused after loosing nearly all of his persona, but he tries to act otherwise (as a rather extravagant wonder) because the few tattered remains of what he was give him some degree of composture. His Avatar grow by assimilating shards of the Storm like it happens with Sendings (Control was a bit of a Sending himself).
      A story with such character could revolve arround befriending him to get a potent ally against the Unnamed and/or helping to recover his story. As independant NPC he's the magical hobbo-ex-machina that appears from nowhere, does some amazing stuff, and leaves. Would work better as Marauder, but perhaps he isn't that far gone yet. Marauderdoom or Nephandism could be his fate if nobody gives this dude a little balance before it's too late, though.

Comment

Also, wouldn't this guy be carrying around some permanent Paradox with all those 6s on his sheet?

Comment

I usually come up with history and motivation before going to stats, but I can understand the need to think of the numbers first.

My advice? NPCs are made interesting by their weaknesses as well as their strengths. This guy is made to have numerical advantage in just about everything, but it means he isn't really distinct. It's easier to look for motivations and backstory when you have questions like 'why did he spend so much time working with cars? Why did he skip out on exercise?'

My advice is start with what role he is supposed to play in the story and figure out why someone would want to do that. Work from there.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
            Having all Spheres at 5 does not make one an Oracle. There's a character with all spheres at 5 in the canon that was reputed to be an Oracle, but it was false. The false Oracle was actually a sentient AI in the digital web. Oracles are more badass than Archmages and can use Archspere-level powers, as per MotA.

SO, that dude it's perfect in combat and magick and knows a lot of stuff both about occult and tech...but doesn't have any money, friends, or even acquaintances.

If I were to tell the honest truth, I think it's a murderhobo and I would have demanded lot's of stuff from that player...but let's not be honest, honest is not fun:

I wouldn't make this dude an Oracle, but neither a normal human being or even a normal mage. Normal dudes aren't like that. I would make him the consequence of a magical catastrophe or experiment, perhaps the amalgam of various mages and Avatars (explaining an Avatar above 5).

My 2 cents:

He's what remains of Control, the mythical figure that represented the will of the Inner Council of the Technocracy, after the Avatar Storm got the best of him. Rumors say Control isn't a mage, or even human, but he has a char sheet of one. He had a similar char sheet in the Guide to the Technocracy (nearly everything at 5) but a lot of backgrounds (like, Resources 10, Contacts 10...etc). Some stuff will need to be lowered, some stuff will need to be raised, but time and magical catastrophes change people.
            Let's say that after being nearly eliminated by the Storm he lost all of that with his identity. Now the storm is gone (the Unnamed took care of it) and the Inner Council it's either death or waiting to be killed, but Control it's back. And a hobbo because he's just appeared from the Umbra without any memory. With odd knowledges and incredible powers that manifest trough technology but hasn't made yet any aquaintance and don't quite understands what's hapening, he calls himself The Zero now (appropiate for someone with no identity).
            He's Berserk because he's really confused after loosing nearly all of his persona, but he tries to act otherwise (as a rather extravagant wonder) because the few tattered remains of what he was give him some degree of composture. His Avatar grow by assimilating shards of the Storm like it happens with Sendings (Control was a bit of a Sending himself).
            A story with such character could revolve arround befriending him to get a potent ally against the Unnamed and/or helping to recover his story. As independant NPC he's the magical hobbo-ex-machina that appears from nowhere, does some amazing stuff, and leaves. Would work better as Marauder, but perhaps he isn't that far gone yet. Marauderdoom or Nephandism could be his fate if nobody gives this dude a little balance before it's too late, though.
            I have some details from my friend :

1. This guy is a witch-hunter like Sullivian Dane , but he wants to kill All Supernaturals , he loves Kill itself .

2. He maybe a "true Orphan " , which means he is not a lost-memory-one or an experiment . Just an Orphan living hundreds (Or even a thousand ? ! ) of years ...

3. Ah , He do have a little Background , but just a little (3-) ...

4. He may have killed many powerful beings , and many people think he is a Maruader if this is true...

5. At first my friend wants him have higher (7+) Avatar ...

PS : Uh , to be honest I also have some questions . .

1. How powerful should he be ? He is much more rarer than Archmage ... Can we think he can take some Badass Kindred Meths down ? Like ... Helena ?

2. Does he can be a true Orphan ? An such powerful Orphan like this is very ... strange , I think , his Sheet is very enough to a Cabal Leader ...

Comment

2. Does he can be a true Orphan ? An such powerful Orphan like this is very ... strange , I think , his Sheet is very enough to a Cabal Leader ...
              It is very strange, but not impossible. It's part of a story that the player has to tell.

If he lived more than 150 years he should have Permanent Paradox (1 per extra 50 years). Unless he managed to remove it as part of his story. In the same vein mages who often get into fights tend to accumulate Paradox.

So, the real question is: Who IS this dude?

A character isn't dots in a sheet. A character coud justify having 1000 years and no Permadox, as part of a story. The same story could justify how did he got to that "level" without the support of any major faction. A story that we don't have.

How does he live?, What does he like to do when he's not kicking ass?, What is his Focus? - his approach to magick it's fundamental. What does he think about himself being a supernatual?. What were his greates accomplishments and what were his greatest defeats? - an old an epic mage should have plenty of both. There's SO many questions.

1. How powerful should he be ? He is much more rarer than Archmage ... Can we think he can take some Badass Kindred Meths down ? Like ... Helena ?
              Mages don't work like that.

In Mager power comes mostly from the amount of successes you can get and how you use them. Most Archmages have a bigger Arete but also Wonders, Chantries, Nodes, Cults, are Allied with other Mages and supernatural entities, have Libraries with information and Sanctums to cast big magick...stuff other than themselves that can be used to generate more than one effect per turn, gather more successes in a Ritual, or gain other kinds of advantage over an enemy. That, in combination with Sphere knowledge,it's what makes the impossible possible in the end.

This is relative, but speaking as a gross overgeneralization...you don't defeat Badass Meths with 5 successes, so this dude will want to prepare before such a fight...This dude has all the versatility in the world, and that's important, but that doesn't guarantee he will take a Meth down. Mages can do anything, but in the end if he can or he can't it's influenced by other stuff like preparation and strategy.

With the correct preparation and given the oportunity, he totally can...but the same could be said of much weaker mages.
              Last edited by Aleph; 10-24-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

It is very strange, but not impossible. It's part of a story that the player has to tell.

If he lived more than 150 years he should have Permanent Paradox (1 per extra 50 years). Unless he managed to remove it as part of his story. In the same vein mages who often get into fights tend to accumulate Paradox.

So, the real question is: Who IS this dude?

A character isn't dots in a sheet. A character coud justify having 1000 years and no Permadox, as part of a story. The same story could justify how did he got to that "level" without the support of any major faction. A story that we don't have.

How does he live?, What does he like to do when he's not kicking ass?, What is his Focus? - his approach to magick it's fundamental. What does he think about himself being a supernatual?. What were his greates accomplishments and what were his greatest defeats? - an old an epic mage should have plenty of both. There's SO many questions.

Mages don't work like that.

In Mager power comes mostly from the amount of successes you can get and how you use them. Most Archmages have a bigger Arete but also Wonders, Chantries, Nodes, Cults, are Allied with other Mages and supernatural entities, have Libraries with information and Sanctums to cast big magick...stuff other than themselves that can be used to generate more than one effect per turn, gather more successes in a Ritual, or gain other kinds of advantage over an enemy. That, in combination with Sphere knowledge,it's what makes the impossible possible in the end.

This is relative, but speaking as a gross overgeneralization...you don't defeat Badass Meths with 5 successes, so this dude will want to prepare before such a fight...This dude has all the versatility in the world, and that's important, but that doesn't guarantee he will take a Meth down. Mages can do anything, but in the end if he can or he can't it's influenced by other stuff like preparation and strategy.

With the correct preparation and given the oportunity, he totally can...but the same could be said of much weaker mages.
                Thank you very very very much !!! I have told him your advice , he will add more details .

And , this guy's story in "Hell on Earth " is this :

After the Unnamed's wash , Archmages and Oracles are slain , so he becomes one of (even the only one ) most powerful mage ( Or the most powerful Master ever exist ) . He finds and summons survivors to fight against the Unnamed , which becomes a little light in this whole Darkness ...

And , I still have some questions :

1. Maybe , I say maybe , Oracles aren't as powerful as we think ? I have Porthos (Virtual Oracle) and Medea (Maruader Oracle) in hands , and their Stats are ... passable ? Because they don't have very high Level Sphere (7+) , just 6 .

Yeah , I know discuss Oracle's Stats is meaningless, they should be Plot Device , but several of them are given .

2. I know in common conditions , you must have other Archmages' help if you want to become an Archmage , but is it possible that you can make your own effect to achieve it ? That maybe an surprising event ... an Orphan Archmage ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rock113 View Post

1. Maybe , I say maybe , Oracles aren't as powerful as we think ? I have Porthos (Virtual Oracle) and Medea (Maruader Oracle) in hands , and their Stats are ... passable ? Because they don't have very high Level Sphere (7+) , just 6 .

Yeah , I know discuss Oracle's Stats is meaningless, they should be Plot Device , but several of them are given .
                  The Unnamed ALSO hasn't very high Level Sphere (7+) , just 6 ... in the same book where Medea sheet comes from. In the age and book where Medea sheet was written the Unnamed had Entropy 6.

If the Unnamed went from having Entropy 6 in 1rst edition to Entropy 10 in Ascencion (and got other bunch of Archspheres), don't you think Medea should get a "power up" too?

I know in common conditions , you must have other Archmages' help if you want to become an Archmage , but is it possible that you can make your own effect to achieve it ? That maybe an surprising event ... an Orphan Archmage ...
                  You don't need to have other Archmages help if you want to become an Archmage, albeit obviously such help would be very useful. Archmages are rare because few mages realize that Mastery it's not the end of the road. Having an Archmage teaching you would allow to realize that rather easily, but enough delving on the misteries of the universe should suffice to break that barrier

Comment

Things started from my friend , he wanted a powerful (not Overpowerful ) mage , so he created a NPC ... this is his Sheet ...

The Zero
                    Essence : Pattern
                    Nature : Berserk
                    Demeanor : Fantastic
                    Orphan
                    Physical : Strength 6 , Dexterity 5 , Stamina 6
                    Social : Charisma 4 , Manipulation 6 , Appearance 3
                    Mental : Perception 5 , Intelligence 6 , Wits 5
                    Talents : Awareness 6 , Alterness 5 , Athletics 6 ,
                    Brawl 6 , Dodge 6 , Streetwise 5 , Intimidation 6 , Expression 5
                    Skills : Drive 5 , Firearms 6 , Melee 6 , Stealth 5 , Survival 5 , Technology 4
                    Knowledge : Cosmology 4 , Computer 6 , Enigmas 5 , Investigation 5 , Occult 6 , Medicine 5 , Linguistic 6 ,
                    Spheres : All Lv.5 Spheres
                    Arete : 5
                    Background : Avatar 6
                    Quintessence : 15
                    Paradox : 0
                    True Faith : 3

He doesn't want Badass guys like Archmages ... So he created this guy . So what should happen when this kind of mage exists ? And how to write his Background ?

PS : He wants to put this guy into " Hell on Earth " ...

I don't want to be salty but I have to ask, i really need to ask: how much of this game your friend knows?

What I am reading here is a really exaggerated sheet, and I mean A LOT. I would consider such a thing possible if it had something he was like "Son of a God" status, otherwise no. This Sheet is, pardon my words, presposterous, your friend wanted to make a really powerfull NPC that most things cant do anything against.

Tell me:
                    1)Why does this guy have Lvl 5 ALL SPHERES, for someone creating an NPC like that he either doesnt know what a sphere level actually does or he thinks quantity equals quality. Spheres are Knowledge and not magic in itself, you dont "receive" sphere levels you learn how this aspect of reality works and change it like you want.

2)Why this guys SHOULD have so many status maxed and above 5? What good explanation would be given for so many 6 dots on attributes?

3) Why Should this guy have Avatar 6? Why there is the need for this guy have avatar 6?

4) Tell me a good reason for this guy have True Faith lvl 3 other than the bonus it gives. This guy has 5 in all spheres wich means his entire existence was dedicated ONLY to raise his spheres.

6) Tell me how a guy with such statu exists yet your Gm thinks hes not stronger as an archmage. It goes again to my first question, does your friend really knows the game?

7) About your idea of archmage and oracles being not that stronger because they dont have spheres above 6. The original book with characters with lvl 6 was in Book of Chantries on Prothos' sheet, and the developers said it was a mess they dint see before the printed books. Later they made Master of The Arts because everyone thought about archspheres (aaaaaand that book is reeeeeeeally bad). In M20 it got ignored and a footside note says that archspheres are represented by ony having a 6 dot, which means anything Masters of the Art lvl 6+ spheres could do being included in this 6 dot.

8) Yet another Thing, when you get lvl 4 in a sphere ou get an specialization that ignores critical failures, wich means this guy has 9 sphere specialties. A LOT.

9) Tell me, where is the Paradox Wheel which should be fully marked?

10) 15 Quintessence points, oh yeah...

To me this is some power trip fantasy right there.
                    Last edited by menos125; 10-25-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Honestly, my first thought looking at this would be an incredibly overpowered character, more so than an archmage or even an oracle, because those tends to be specialized. A lot of Mage depends on how the character is played, of course, but it would be very hard to NOT end up having this character be some kind of god. He seems far beyond what you need even for the premise that you've described.

Generally, I think it's better to start with a concept and fill in the stats afterward, but to also keep in mind that when looking at a mage's power level: the book provides us with a decent ranking, from an apprentice at first dot, a disciple at three dots, and a master at five dots. A character with five dots in just a few spheres can be pretty insanely powerful. This guy is way way beyond that. Besides, having strengths and weaknesses help give a mage character. Leaving Orphan/Tradition/Paradigm aside, a Mage with a high ranking in Life and a low ranking in Entropy would have a very different feel and personality than one with a high ranking in Forces and a low ranking in Time. By picking and choosing which areas he's likely to focus on, then it gives another way to establish him as a distinct personality.

I think maybe it would be good to look at Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first Star Wars movie, because it seems like that's the kind of role this NPC would play: one of the last survivors, someone who is known for being powerful and formidable, who acts as a mentor to a new generation. But Obi-Wan doesn't have to be perfect at every single aspect of using the Force. There are specific abilities that he doesn't have, insights that he's never learned. Even Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One, wasn't a master of every single aspect of the Force. This guy probably shouldn't be either. (Especially because there's a very high risk that he'd end up completely overshadowing the player characters.)

I mean, ultimately, it's your friend's game, and if he thinks he can use this guy, more power to him. But it sounds like maybe he's not as familiar with the game, and if that's the case, this kind of NPC might be more trouble than he's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by menos125 View Post

I don't want to be salty but I have to ask, i really need to ask: how much of this game your friend knows?

... Sorry . He is an excellent Mage player in my memory , but in fact I also think he should think much more ... this guy is ... really overpowerful and strange ...

*Tell me how a guy with such statu exists yet your Gm thinks hes not stronger as an archmage. It goes again to my first question, does your friend really knows the game?
                        Uh ... to be honest , I think Archmages are not less powerful that you think ...

In Horizon : The Stronghold of Hope, you can create an Archmage NPC with 30-45 dots on Spheres (And Two Lv.6 Spheres at most ), so you can create an Archmage with one Lv.6 , seven Lv.5 and one Lv.4 at most , a same level in Archmages like this guy ( The most powerful Archmage/Master you can remind ) ...

7) About your idea of archmage and oracles being not that stronger because they dont have spheres above 6. The original book with characters with lvl 6 was in Book of Chantries on Prothos' sheet, and the developers said it was a mess they dint see before the printed books. Later they made Master of The Arts because everyone thought about archspheres (aaaaaand that book is reeeeeeeally bad). In M20 it got ignored and a footside note says that archspheres are represented by ony having a 6 dot, which means anything Masters of the Art lvl 6+ spheres could do being included in this 6 dot.
                        Forgive me , I just post this topic days ago :

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-spheres/page4

in #46 , maybe what you said .
                        Last edited by Rock113; 10-26-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kalinara View Post
                          I mean, ultimately, it's your friend's game, and if he thinks he can use this guy, more power to him. But it sounds like maybe he's not as familiar with the game, and if that's the case, this kind of NPC might be more trouble than he's worth.
                          Thanks ... I think his original thinking was "create a Badass guy but we can stat him , right? " But it seems like he just think about "Badass" , not included Balance ...

Uh , to be honest, an incredibly overpowerful guy could also exist ... Because strictly speaking , there are always someone who way way beyond most people ... (the Unnamed , Voormas? Maybe , no other mages can be equal to them singly )...

Originally posted by kalinara View Post

but to also keep in mind that when looking at a mage's power level: the book provides us with a decent ranking, from an apprentice at first dot, a disciple at three dots, and a master at five dots. A character with five dots in just a few spheres can be pretty insanely powerful.*
                          I also have a some questions about this :

1.How much influence and status should a Simple Master have ? I know Masters are really rare actually , this forum used to summarize, maybe 200+ in total .

2. What status and influence that this guy should have if he is a Technocrat or Tradition mage or Nephandi / Maruader ?... I agree he is the most powerful mage in most conditions...
                          Last edited by Rock113; 10-26-2018, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Uh , to be honest, an incredibly overpowerful guy could also exist ... Because strictly speaking , there are always someone who way way beyond most people ... (the Unnamed , Voormas? Maybe , no other mages can be equal to them singly )...
                            He could exist, but he needs a suitable story. If he's supposed to be a Mysterious Stranger then the ST has to improvise that story, but then the player shouldn't demand stuff to end exactly as he thinks (Mysterious Stranger basically means ST prerogative to decide about his history and origins)

The Unnamed it's the first Nephandi, an Anti-Oracle that's almost capable of ending the world by himself if wasn't because reality itself rejects him. It's the one who and orchestrated the Ascencnion War and most evil in the world as a mean to weaken reality to his influence and free his masters.
                            This dude has powerful eldrich abominations as Mentors (who Awoke him with the original Anti-Avatar from which inverted avatars are mere imitations) and a seemingly endless net of subordinates that includes lesser anti-oracles. He isn't some guy that appeared from nowhere to be cool.
                            The Unnamed has the sheet he has in order to be all that he's supposed to be.

As Kalinara said, nothing in the concept really implies such a sheet. I would suggest for future NPC to make the player tell the ST a concept and the story of the character (or at least general lineaments for that story), and then let the ST take care of the dots in the sheet. That way the "power level" it's subordinate to the character.

If we go to that, a Berserker flamboyant mage that kills Nephandi without tons of Arcane, few Allies or friends, and no impregnable fortress to hide himslef it's like wearing a target sign for The Unnamed to crush in such a universe (and The Unnamed it's LEAGUES above this dude in Hell on Earth. Probably other Aswadim can kill him too - if only because they have more Arete and can come with an army of evil to press the point).
                            Personally, I think it would take an equally powerful but more tactical and subtle mage to be the Light of Hope of such scenario. You know, a Mage that would be less willing to rush into the action and more willing to hide, help survivors, make allies - nothing of which it's well reflected in the sheet. But that's just my opinion.

1.How much influence and status should a Simple Master have ? I know Masters are really rare actually , this forum used to summarize, maybe 200+ in total .
                            Mastery of a Sphere imply a degree of power and knoledge that's respected by most mages, but it doesn't really imply status by itself.

An Orphan Master commands respect, but won't have influence nor status whitin the Traditions or the Technocracy (albeit they probably want to recuit him or murder him). A Hermit could be a Master and have little influence, even in the Traditions where being a Master puts you above Adepts and below.

Influence and Status are social stuff that you get interacting with people. Being a Master helps because you're an insanely powerful ally/enemy and a potential teacher for most mages in Earth, but doesn't traduce automatically to these.

2. What status and influence that this guy should have if he is a Technocrat or Tradition mage or Nephandi / Maruader ?... I agree he is the most powerful mage in most conditions...
                            He would be very respected in the Traditions, and if he cares about politics he could easily be at the top, but as I said influence and status are social things. In the Traditions Mastery it's a rank, and that amounts to some status even if he doesn't want it, but for people to respect this status he would have to use it and enter in the political arena. Otherwise it's just a honorific with little influence. Porthos cares about politics enough to be the leader of his House and frecuent the council, but other Archmages don't bother with that. The Council sits at the top of the status and influence

In the Technocracy it's the same, he can be a hidden master or part of the inner council. Or not. It depends on how much he likes to lick asses to ascend. The only difference it's that the Technocracy values efficiency above knowledge. If he's a loose cannon that doesn't respect the rules he may have a low rank and little influence.

If the Unnamed it's a thing then he can't be the authentic leader of the Nephandi, but he could easily be the most powerful Giledian alive. But, again, if no one knows him he hasn't influence nor status.

Marauders usually are lone wolves and don't have such things as "status" or "influence". And when they do it has nothing to do with Sphere Mastery.

Comment

He could exist, but he needs a suitable story. If he's supposed to be a Mysterious Stranger then the ST has to improvise that story, but then the player shouldn't demand stuff to end exactly as he thinks (Mysterious Stranger basically means ST prerogative to decide about his history and origins)

The Unnamed it's the first Nephandi, an Anti-Oracle that's almost capable of ending the world by himself if wasn't because reality itself rejects him. It's the one who and orchestrated the Ascencnion War and most evil in the world as a mean to weaken reality to his influence and free his masters.
                              This dude has powerful eldrich abominations as Mentors (who Awoke him with the original Anti-Avatar from which inverted avatars are mere imitations) and a seemingly endless net of subordinates that includes lesser anti-oracles. He isn't some guy that appeared from nowhere to be cool.
                              The Unnamed has the sheet he has in order to be all that he's supposed to be.

As Kalinara said, nothing in the concept really implies such a sheet. I would suggest for future NPC to make the player tell the ST a concept and the story of the character (or at least general lineaments for that story), and then let the ST take care of the dots in the sheet. That way the "power level" it's subordinate to the character.

If we go to that, a Berserker flamboyant mage that kills Nephandi without tons of Arcane, few Allies or friends, and no impregnable fortress to hide himslef it's like wearing a target sign for The Unnamed to crush in such a universe (and The Unnamed it's LEAGUES above this dude in Hell on Earth. Probably other Aswadim can kill him too - if only because they have more Arete and can come with an army of evil to press the point).
                              Personally, I think it would take an equally powerful but more tactical and subtle mage to be the Light of Hope of such scenario. You know, a Mage that would be less willing to rush into the action and more willing to hide, help survivors, make allies - nothing of which it's well reflected in the sheet. But that's just my opinion.
                              Thank you very much !!! You give my friend so many useful opinions !!! I will advice him to think about this guy more .

Uh , in my opinion , I think this guy's Background , Story and Paradox should be discussed more ... First he should have high level Aracne (6+) to hide himself (After all he is a Berserk supernatural hunter ) and a few Allies , Tailsmans , Devices (Suitable to his Orphan identity ), Nodes and Chantry (The last two may be useless in Hell on Earth ) . Paradox should be many (10-15) . And his Story must be very very mystical .

As you say , he is very powerful , but much weaker than Anti-Oracles (Those TRUE Badass ...) . So he should be more stable and , modest , hiding is better than fighting . But he does survive Avatar Storm easier than Archmages and Oracles bacause of his proper Arete 5 ...

He would be very respected in the Traditions, and if he cares about politics he could easily be at the top, but as I said influence and status are social things. In the Traditions Mastery it's a rank, and that amounts to some status even if he doesn't want it, but for people to respect this status he would have to use it and enter in the political arena. Otherwise it's just a honorific with little influence. Porthos cares about politics enough to be the leader of his House and frecuent the council, but other Archmages don't bother with that. The Council sits at the top of the status and influence
                              I read Horizon : The Stronghold of Hope and Book of Chantries again -- just depending on his "all Lv.5 Spheres " , he can become one of the most powerful mages in Traditions , Nine Councils have 5 or 6 Lv.5 Spheres at most .

And , still some questions … :

1. Does a Master with all Lv.5 Spheres more useful ( or , aggressive ) than a "simple" Archmage ? I just know this kind of Master may much rarer than Archmage ...

2. What will happen If he take some Badass guys from other races down ? I know this kind of situation is a forbidden zone in most conditions (Ravnos vs Techs and Tou-Mou vs Voormas is the only two I can remind ). Like kill some vampire Meths or Antes , an Rank 5 or 6 Shapechanger or Dharma 8 or 9 Kuei-jin ? I just know these guys' death will make extreme shock , maybe leave a legend legend ? (Do you know that ? OMG , a demi-god like guys was kill by a Mortal ... what a nonsense ! ) And their superior may revenge for it .
                              Last edited by Rock113; 10-26-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X