Cult of Ecstasy Oracles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cult of Ecstasy Oracles

So my characters decided to really break my story and end up doing some irreparable damage to the world, timeline, and paradigm. So they are looking for a master time mage to help them reverse time. I already have the story worked out as to how they find them, but I need help coming up with a cult of ecstasy oracle character.

I remember in Traditions , "Oracle" is of Spheres , not Tradition itself . So what you want is the Oracle of Time .

My opinion is that you'd better not create someone like "Oracle" , because they are Plot Device , just like Antediluvians in Vampires . Yes , it does have reasonable NPC like Medea in Book of Madness 1st Edition , but her Character Sheet should be updated a lot, because in that time the Lv.6 Spheres is The Most Powerful Sphere a mage can have , no Lv.7+ Sphere . And her other Ablities are lesser , too .
    Last edited by Rock113; 10-30-2018, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
      I remember in Traditions , "Oracle" is of Spheres , not Tradition itself . So what you want is the Oracle of Time .

I think you'd better not create someone like "Oracle" , because they are Plot Device , just like Antediluvians in Vampires . Yes , it does have reasonable NPC like Medea in Book of Madness 1st Edition , but her Character Sheet should be updated a lot, because in that time the Lv.6 Spheres is The Most Powerful Sphere a mage can have , no Lv.7+ Sphere . And her other Ablities are lesser , too .
      The oracle is acting as a plot device. He’s an NPC who’s going to reset the timeline for an ungodly cost

Comment

Those were the Exemplars.
        The Exemplars are the type of Archmage that essentially became so obsessed with a specific aspect of reality so much, studying it so intensely and becoming so connected to it, that they turned into an embodyment of a specific sphere. Which makes them insanely powerful, but also is the equivalent of a Dead End on the road to Ascension as they can't even learn more about the other spheres or aspects of reality and enlightenment.

Oracles are not tied to any sphere, but simply Mages that *could* Ascend - they essentially reached that threshold, they are sitting on it and know it - but decided to stay for whatever reason. Some say they're there to guide others towards it. Or so the IC lore goes. Oracles are a bit of a mystery when it comes to their intentions.
        Last edited by Ambrosia; 10-30-2018, 03:01 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
        cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
        EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Arion_diTanserville View Post
          So my characters decided to really break my story and end up doing some irreparable damage to the world, timeline, and paradigm. So they are looking for a master time mage to help them reverse time. I already have the story worked out as to how they find them, but I need help coming up with a cult of ecstasy oracle character.
          There are four noteworthy Mages of the Cult of Ecstasy ( or of Seers of Chronos ) that could maybe help with this : Sh'zar, Marianna of Balador, Akrites Salonikas, and Xiootan Iox. One ( or more than one ) of them could intervene in or influence the situation that your character is involved in.
          As far as I am aware of, any Mage - not necessarily one of the Cult of Ecstasy ( or of the Seers of Chronos ) - can try to join the Oracles of Time.
          If you go with the version and the idea that there are Oracles beyond the nine groups that focus on the Spheres, then you could have a Mage who is an Oracle while also being supremely skilled in Time Magick ; but who is not strictly an Oracle of Time.

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

(...)

Oracles are not tied to any sphere, but simply Mages that *could* Ascend - they essentially reached that threshold, they are sitting on it and know it - but decided to stay for whatever reason. Some say they're there to guide others towards it. Or so the IC lore goes. Oracles are a bit of a mystery when it comes to their intentions.
          The 1st and 2nd edition M:tA Corebooks have it written in them that there are nine groups of Oracles, each being involved with one of the Magick Spheres. The 1st edition Corebook speaks in a more definite tone about this ; while the 2nd edition Corebook description does leave more room for there being Oracles other than those that are part of groups that have chosen to focus on particular Spheres.
          Last edited by Muad'Dib; 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
            As far as I am aware of, any Mage - not necessarily one of the Cult of Ecstasy ( or of the Seers of Chronos ) - can try to join the Oracles of Time.
            If you go with the version and the idea that there are Oracles beyond the nine groups that focus on the Spheres, then you could have a Mage who is an Oracle while also being supremely skilled in Time Magick ; but who is not strictly an Oracle of Time.
            I remember all Oracles are open to all Mages , no separation between the Organizations , same as Archmage and even your own specialized Sphere (For example , Order of Hermes' Thot is a Spirit Archmage ). After all which Sphere is your speciality just depends on your own Effect .

Uh , and , in my opinion , I think several Time Archmages is enough to the Top's description ...

Comment

If you want an established character, I would suggest Sh'zar: He's dead, yet he already appeared from nowhere to save the day after his own death proving his mastery of Time (and Correspondence?), and he is the founder of the Ecstatics and the one who proposed to form the Traditions to fight the Technocracy so he's kind of a big deal (and his level of mastery isn't known, he could be an Archmaster or even an Oracle for what people knows).

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
              The 1st and 2nd edition M:tA Corebooks have it written in them that there are nine groups of Oracles, each being involved with one of the Magick Spheres. The 1st edition Corebook speaks in a more definite tone about this ; while the 2nd edition Corebook description does leave more room for there being Oracles other than those that are part of groups that have chosen to focus on particular Spheres.
              True, altrough MotA in Revised changed the definition, leaving Exemplars in the role 1e placed Oracles and having Oracles as more versatile supermages related to Ascencion rather than a Sphere in particular.

But canon Oracles have been created with the first definition in mind and do seem to relate with a Sphere. Dante with Correspondence, for instance.
              Last edited by Aleph; 10-30-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Yes , it does have reasonable NPC like Medea in Book of Madness 1st Edition , but her Character Sheet should be updated a lot, because in that time the Lv.6 Spheres is The Most Powerful Sphere a mage can have , no Lv.7+ Sphere . And her other Ablities are lesser , too .
                You're thinking about Masters of the Art' spheres,that book have been ignored on Mage 20, there is a note saying that any sphere lvl 6 has everything this lvls 7+ does. That book was really bad written and came to be only because of a typo on book of chantries that had porthos' sheet with an lvl 6 sphere. In game meachanics having lvls above 6 is unreal when you think about spheres XP cost AND arete costs

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Arion_diTanserville View Post
                  The oracle is acting as a plot device. He’s an NPC who’s going to reset the timeline for an ungodly cost
                  Well, if you want an "ungodly cost", you could always use Clive Barker's Cenobite Hierophants as they originally appear in The Hellbound Heart. I've long used them as inspiration for the darker sides of the Cult, based on their concept of seeking stimulation at a point in which pleasure and pain have gone so far that they've merged, and then going beyond even that. In the original book, their apparent leader is "The Engineer", who appears as a normal looking person, just infused with intense (spiritual?) light. This could be your Oracle, one who has completely mastered Time in order to make his/her experiments in sensation literally last forever, and who has completely surpassed his/her own physical limitations through the destruction of their own flesh, being reborn as a mystically evolved being. The more traditional S&M butcher Hierophants would be the Oracle's disciples, following his/her path to physical annihilation in pursuit of mystical enlightenment.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by menos125 View Post

You're thinking about Masters of the Art' spheres,that book have been ignored on Mage 20, there is a note saying that any sphere lvl 6 has everything this lvls 7+ does. That book was really bad written and came to be only because of a typo on book of chantries that had porthos' sheet with an lvl 6 sphere. In game meachanics having lvls above 6 is unreal when you think about spheres XP cost AND arete costs
                    I know , I have posted the resource of what you say in my own Topic . To be honest I like this idea .

And , why do you think this book is very bad ? After all this is the only book that describes Archmages detaily ... Although some ArchSpheres in that book are really useless ...
                    Last edited by Rock113; 10-30-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by menos125 View Post

That's really not true, porthos is not the only character in the book who has a level 6 sphere, Vooemas also has entropy 6,and in the book of madness 1ed you had both Medea and the Unnamed with an archspheres.
                      Even more:before Masters of the art Archspheres were already developed in Horizon Stronghold of Hope, with rules and all.

The true story is that some writers liked the concept while Brucato didn't. So when he took control of Mage 20 he decided to rewind everything with the 'it was a typo" excuse.
                      Last edited by Undead rabbit; 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Brucato was the developer of the Book of Chantries, the place where Porthos and Voormas sheets appeared with the first mention of Spheres above 5. Although the word typo may not be the correct word to describe that error, I think he's the ultimate authority to determine if it was a mistake or not.

After that, books assumed that a 6th level existed (BoM 1e) and gave rules for it (HSoH). Then in Revised obviously people liked the idea because MotA adds the levels 7+, who get used in Ascencion and get a few mentions elsewhere. Then M20 retcons that to 5 levels and a very optional rule to have a 6th.

And there's that, the history of the Archspheres
                        Last edited by Aleph; 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Brucato wrote the book of madness also, and developed Horizon, so typo doesn't really describe what happened since he had two books to halt the development of the concept. The Book of Madness came out less than a year after the Book of Chantries; it's not like there were years of published material done by others that you had to overule. If those books have been published this means he gave the ok to the concept. At the time he was still the man behind the wheel, changing course was totally in his power. Only master of the art was developed without him in charge.
                          Last edited by Undead rabbit; 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Other options:
                            -Master of time going for exemplar status who's really trying to show his understanding of the subject. May or may not work out well. Hilarity ensues.
                            -A trip to the Shade Realm of Time to do the fixing first hand
                            -A trip to the Shard Realm of Time to ask Lu-Bat to do the work. Also provides opportunity to introduce the Garou if you've been jonesin' for time-travel werewolves.
                            -Cross work with the Technocrats who'd be very very interested in seeing the timeline repaired.

Comment

Enter a bargain with one of the Nephandi Lords that exists outside the conventional concept of time. What could go wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X