Mage 2nd Edition demographics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage 2nd Edition demographics

Now, we know what Malcolm Shepperd wrote about the demographics of Mage the Ascension Revised.

Waaaay too many Nephandi in that breakdown. To be Nephandus you have to enter the cauls, not just be bad. Plus, they have the smallest number of canonical NPCs. I'd put their numbers at less than 5%. There are also probably slightly fewer Orphans, since the Traditions really are pretty good at assimilating mystics. The Crafts have been beaten down by the Technocracy, to boot, but we'll be opstimistic with both. Plus, there are quite a lot of Technocrats.

So I'd say:

Traditions- 40%
    Technocracy- 40%
    Marauders- 6%
    Nephandi- 4%
    Crafts- 10%
    Orphans- 10%

Canonically, the largest are:
    1) OoH (they recruit more than any other Trad and the House structure lets them incorporate many different styles)
    2) Akashic Brotherhood (they recruit less than many Trads but have the largest population base to draw from).

After that, the Dreamspeakers and Celestial Chorus are supposed to be pretty large and diverse. The Verbena trail slightly behind these two. The Ecstatics are probably about the size of the Verbena.

The Virtual Adepts and Sons of Ether are probably about equal size and next largest after the trads above.

The Euthanatos are supposed to be smaller than the other Traditions.

To make some hard choices and put it all in a list, with breakdowns the ranking from largest to smallest would be:

1) Order of Hermes 15%
    2) Akashic Brotherhood 14%
    3) Celestial Chorus 13%
    4) Dreamspeakers 12%
    5) Verbena 11%*
    6) Cult of Ecstacy 11%*
    7) Virtual Adepts 9%*
    8) Sons of Ether 9%*
    9) Euthanatos 6%

*The higher ranks Trad may have a fractionally higher number of members.

Bill Bridges revised the numbers during his run, which were originally 1 mage per million or 1 per 500,000, to 1 per 200,000 ro 250,000. Let's make it an even 30,000 Awakened mages in the world.

That means the Traditions have 12,000 members.

So:

1) Order of Hermes: 1800
    2) Akashic Brotherhood: 1680
    3) Celestial Chorus: 1560
    4) Dreamspeakers: 1440
    5) Verbena: 1320
    6) Cult of Ecstacy: 1320
    7) Virtual Adepts: 1080
    8) Sons of Ether: 1080
    9) Euthanatos: 720

Breakdown by rank makes most Tradition mages Disciples, with a significant narrowing at Adept rank thanks to attrition and fewer apprentices because they tend to die more easily and because magic is generally in decline. So:

Apprentice 15% -- 1800 Traditionalists
    Initiate: 20% -- 2400 Traditionalists
    Disciple: 50% -- 6000 Traditionalists
    Adept: 13% -- 1560 Traditionalists
    Master: 1.9% -- 228 Traditionalists?
    Archmaster: .1% 12 Traditionalists?

Ranks will tend to break statistical predictions as the increase. For instance, thr Masters and archmasters are probably doled out more evenly that Tradition numbers would suggest. By contrast, the Technocracy probably has a fairly strict pyramidial distribution, with the fewest on top and as many as half being "Apprentices."

But this is after the Avatar storm, and after masters and archmasters got kicked out of reality.

Now, I was wandering what could be the demographic (especially when it comes to breakdown by rank) of a pre Avatar Storm Mage the Ascension.
    In the second edition it seems that Archmasters are rare, but not that rare, while masters are easy to find.
    We know some things:

1) Before the Avatar storm the Order of Hermes had no less than 10 archmages (Porthos, Mustai, Cristavao,Ishaq, Khasaf and the 5 Hermetic Archmasters that were first on Mus with Gilmore and then on Cerberus with Senex).

2) The Euthanatos also had at least 6 archmages (Voormas, Senex, Takskang, and the 3 other archmages that live on Cerberus), even by taking in account just these that would mean that among the Euthanatos at least the 0.9% of mages were Archmages.

3) in 1996 the Solificati had 150 members and among them a bit less than 20 were masters.

4) Even a little House of the Order of Hermes like House Tytalus had at least 8 master (Gilmore,Cristavao,Marangoundakis,Hortemone, Quave,Rentschler,Overmeyer,Tiagonce)

5) Of House Bonisagus, a house that before the Storm numbered less than 100 members, 4 masters were at doissetep, and we don't know how many among the Scattered were masters.

I would expect that even Adepts were more common before the storm.

So, what kind of breakdown do you think would be more appropriate for the second edition?

IIRC the Traditions and the Union were about evenly matched in the Umbra, while the Union was stronger on Earth. I would say that the Technocracy took more casualties than the Traditions but lost far less in both morale and organisational capacity.

There would have been more Masters around, as they were disproportionately hit by the Storm. I can't see there being over a hundred Archmasters total in all the factions IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
      Traditions- 40%
      Technocracy- 40%
      Marauders- 6%
      Nephandi- 4%
      Crafts- 10%
      Orphans- 10%
      I like the overall spread and it reminds me of something similar I did with Vampire in the 1990s. But the numbers presented here add up to 110% of the population. I think that is an accident. I might change it to Traditions 30%.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

I like the overall spread and it reminds me of something similar I did with Vampire in the 1990s. But the numbers presented here add up to 110% of the population. I think that is an accident. I might change it to Traditions 30%.
        I think the point is Nephandi and Mauraders start out as something else and then degenerate into a Nephandi or Maurader.

Remember masters and Archmages were hit most by the Storm because they supposedly were more fantastical and the world became more blasé towards magic. After the Storm both factions had almost no territory in the Umbra.

Mages got shredded by the storm even if Traveling to the Underworld right, did it also include traveling to the Dreaming? I’m thinking yes.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
        X