Mage tv shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage tv shows

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'd like to ask about tv series that has some kind of magic in it. The mystic, classic, hermetic-like one.

I heard about an old serie "merlin", but haven't seen it yet.
    What would you recommend?

The Magicias,based on the book series by Lev Grossman.

Comment

American Horror Story: Coven, sort of.

Charmed, sort of.

Wiccan-esque "witchcraft" is a more popular go-to for Hollywood than Hermeticism. Even then, it tends to get watered down into "hip pretty young people with magic powers".

There are a few versions of Merlin. There's the 1998 miniseries starring Sam Neil, which is pretty good. Then there's the 2008 British tv series, which has been described as Camelot by way of Smallville. It has Merlin and Arther as teenage contemporaries rather than mentor and student, and skews more toward fantasy magic than classical. I've never seen any of the made-for-cable series Camelot, with Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, but it's slightly darker than either of the above. (There's also Mister Merlin, a 1981 sitcom about Merlin in modern San Fransisco.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

They tried to make a Dresden Files show a while back. It only lasted a season and it had some pretty significant differences from the book series, but I remember it being fun.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Dresden Files was fun.

I'm going to add something Left Field - Legion
          https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5114356/

The reality warping abilities, mind manipulation. Questioning if it's all real or just Schizophrenia. It doesn't really fit the Hermetic Ideal, but I most things I can think of have those kind of characters as one of f bad guys and the like.

What About the Supernatural TV Series.
          They use knowledge of an Angelic language (Enochian) sigils, ritual casting with certain components that usually have a spiritual tie to the type of magic that they're casting.

Comment

The "Constantine" tv show is fairly Hermetic, has Celestial Chorus vibes too though.

Comment

From what I hear, stay away from Wizards versus Aliens, I understand it's awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkavian87 View Post
                The "Constantine" tv show is fairly Hermetic, has Celestial Chorus vibes too though.
                It's pretty good and I wish it had lasted longer (not least of which because I've always been a huge fan of John Ostrander's run on The Spectre, and was really looking forward to Corragan's transformation).

Several episodes were directly adapted from Jamie Delano's original run on the Hellblazer comic back in the day, which I highly recommend.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

There should be a M:tA movie made ; I think that the Technocracy in particular would make for initial presentation and visuals - business suits and lab coats, sleek metallic briefcases, and an straight-to-the-point and no-time-wasted attitude and approach. Initially they could be shown in a villainous way ; then they would support the Tradition ( or independent ) protagonists and even display some heroic qualities ; but at the end, as "new orders arrived based on additional data, and priorities have been reassigned" type of event happens, the Technocrats would pull out, abandoning the shocked protagonists.
                  The plot could have the protagonists Awakening at the start of the movie ; then all of the parts of what makes a Mage in M:tA - Paradigm, Practice, Avatar, Foci etc. - could be shown and explored. The second movie could introduce more experienced Mages.

I think there should be multiple protagonists. This would clearly shown and explore that being a Mage means that a person has particular attributes, capabilities, and qualities that are comparable and consistent, displayed by most - if not all - Mages. I think that the meaningfulness of choices as a Mage - both the ones in regard to Magick, and other ones - could also be more easily explored with multiple protagonists.
                  The fact that in M:tA there are many varied kinds of Mages is great material for a movie ( or a TV series ) . Each character, including minor ones, could be very distinctive ; and also would be hinting at the larger M:tA ( and WoD ) setting.
                  Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-01-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

For the *ahem* other side, look at Agents of SHIELD, CSI, Fringe, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X