Orphan Archmage ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
    While Avatar strengthening isn't unheard off (ehem...Heyel...ehem) I would rather say that this Orphan already had an insanely potent Avatar. And not because having your avatar empowered makes you a Mary Sue - no - but rather because having an insanely potent Avatar it's yet another *excuse* to become extraordinarily good at magick (and, lets face it, you need all the excuses you can get).]
    The Mary Sue aspect is not given by the Avatar strengthening by itself. We have three archspheres, a Gnosis rating at 10, spirit gifts, demon lore, and whatever that pseudo-rage trait is supposed to be. I'd say it's on par with Samuel Height... and Height was created as a joke. =p

No offense meant, of course. I'm merely evaluating the character.
    Last edited by Maris Streck; 01-16-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you're quite right about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post

The Mary Sue aspect is not given by the Avatar strengthening by itself. We have three archspheres, a Gnosis rating at 10, spirit gifts, demon lore, and whatever that pseudo-rage trait is supposed to be. I'd say it's on par with Samuel Height... and Height was created as a joke. =p

No offense meant, of course. I'm merely evaluating the character.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I probably would never have imagined letting someone play a character like this, ever.
        The short summary I wrote about the character was of course not complete. It would take a whole book to explain what extactly happened when and why and most importantly, how the character struggled with each of these steps. She twisted and perverted nearly every aspect of herself to become a being so ridiculously powerful for the sake of essentially replacing a part of the werewolfes Triat.
        There's a good reason I didn't go into detail in my first post. And there is a good reason why all of the books ever said: "It's not possible to become a Werewolf-Mage/Vampire-Changeling/whatever the hell you want to mix together!" This is the reason why. That being said, the entire chronicle felt so grand and epic, I just had no problem with adding yet another layer of power, and with that, consequences.
        Also, Samuel Height would be nothing but a little bitch compared to this crossover-madness juggernaut.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
          If one follows Masters of the Art, one of the hard parts of gaining archmage status is that they need the support of other archmages. I feel that could harder for an orphan who may be untrusted or viewed as a pawn by everyone.
          I think this would not not apply to most Archmages – somebody who is one of the exceptionally special and rare persons who can become an Archmage would be treated with at least some amount of respect and consideration. On the other hand, some Archmages could see their approach as the only one valid, or be thinking that a particular kind, Paradigm, or style of Magick can only have so many Archmages. But all in all, I think it is more likely that an Archmage, in most situations, would be positively inclined towards a person with distinct chances and potential for becoming an Archmage. Though this positive attitude might be only to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post

I think this would not not apply to most Archmages – somebody who is one of the exceptionally special and rare persons who can become an Archmage would be treated with at least some amount of respect and consideration. On the other hand, some Archmages could see their approach as the only one valid, or be thinking that a particular kind, Paradigm, or style of Magick can only have so many Archmages. But all in all, I think it is more likely that an Archmage, in most situations, would be positively inclined towards a person with distinct chances and potential for becoming an Archmage. Though this positive attitude might be only to an extent.
            The justification given in the book is that archmages could wind up spending a lot of time and resources cleaning up the messes of other archmages so availability of the sixth dot requires the acceptance from at least something more powerful than a master. A powerful spirit mentor could get around this or maybe a particularly blessed avatar, but it makes sense that to answer the question "why isn't reality over run with nigh omnipotent power mad mages" is "because other nigh omnipotent mages keep them in check".

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
              The justification given in the book is that archmages could wind up spending a lot of time and resources cleaning up the messes of other archmages (...)
              This sounds contrived. Wouldn't each Archmage ( or group of Archmages ) usually clean up her ( or his ) own mistakes and problems ?
              Last edited by Muad'Dib; 02-12-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                This sounds contrived. Wouldn't each Archmage ( or group of Archmages ) usually clean up her ( or his ) own mistakes and problems ?
                Not if they don't realize the mess or the effects of what they do. For any level of knowledge, I feel there's going to be a familiarization period where one gets used to the sixth dot. I feel it's somewhat analogous to not realizing one is making an etiquette mistake or one gaining access to a new tool and not totally understanding how it can break other things if used improperly.

There's also the problem of externalities. A Kopa Loei archmage of forces decides to prevent the loss of their island from climate change by raising it consequences to others be damned.

Comment

Working...
                X