Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gods and Monsters Discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Question with reguards to building a companion. When choosing which type of companion it is be it robot or alien or whatever does one have to use freebies to pay for/recieve the freebie points for the merits/flaws/special advantages it has to come with.
    I.e. A robot comes with the the soak aggrivated special advantage but has to have the unbelief and power source flaw do I have to dip into its freebie points to pay for that/ do I receive the flaw points?

    Second question: how do i determine the gnosis rating of a farmiliar? All the example farmiliars have one but I'm not seeing it in the character creation section.
    Last edited by Vikingsean711; 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Just looking at the creation section, which is what I mostly care about (making a familiar or ally), there's a whole lot wrong:

      Page 188 has "Size" as a 3/5/8 point Special Advantage. A shame there is no such Special Advantage in the text. It would be really useful for large familiars, like mounts and the like.

      Unaging is a 2 point merit but a whopping 5 point Special Advantage? That seems way off.

      Despite all promises from prior books, there is no Invulnerability/Resistance Special Advantage. How do I make a fire elemental immune to fire without knowing the cost?

      Do familiars have a Gnosis rating? The creation rules suggest they don't, but the examples suggest they do. The examples also suggest all familiars have rage, even without Ferocity (?!?)
      If not, what can they roll for charms?
      Whether they do or not, how does anyone with the Tides of Fortune Special Advantage use Bad Luck Charm, which requires a Gnosis roll?
      (It makes the most sense that Willpower be used instead, but that's not stated)

      The M20 book talks about Data Beasts being familiars. There aren't any rules for that here.

      The cost of Essence is outrageous. Why would anyone pay 30 - 100 XP for a single point more of essence? I think that was the FbDF cost, but Familiars had much lower Essence ratings then.
      It would make more sense to keep Essence in pace with Willpower.
      (assuming the material on 187 is correct, the formula is Essence = Willpower x 5. But page 185 suggests it starts out at only 1 instead, as was the case for FbDF)

      Perhaps because there is no Size Special Advantage, there's no way that I can tell to increase health levels. How do you represent an especially hearty Familiar or Ally, and not just a quick-regenerating one? (Forged by Dragon's Fire had Resilience for 3 points)

      It seems intuitive that non-biological Constructs (or at the very least, Robots) wouldn't have natural regeneration, being needed to be repaired like FbDF suggests. Is that not the case? On the flip side, do robots and re-animates take would penalties? The flying skull example listed has only OKs and -5.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Aknorals View Post
        Just looking at the creation section, which is what I mostly care about (making a familiar or ally), there's a whole lot wrong:

        Page 188 has "Size" as a 3/5/8 point Special Advantage. A shame there is no such Special Advantage in the text. It would be really useful for large familiars, like mounts and the like.

        Unaging is a 2 point merit but a whopping 5 point Special Advantage? That seems way off.

        Despite all promises from prior books, there is no Invulnerability/Resistance Special Advantage. How do I make a fire elemental immune to fire without knowing the cost?

        Do familiars have a Gnosis rating? The creation rules suggest they don't, but the examples suggest they do. The examples also suggest all familiars have rage, even without Ferocity (?!?)
        If not, what can they roll for charms?
        Whether they do or not, how does anyone with the Tides of Fortune Special Advantage use Bad Luck Charm, which requires a Gnosis roll?
        (It makes the most sense that Willpower be used instead, but that's not stated)

        The M20 book talks about Data Beasts being familiars. There aren't any rules for that here.

        The cost of Essence is outrageous. Why would anyone pay 30 - 100 XP for a single point more of essence? I think that was the FbDF cost, but Familiars had much lower Essence ratings then.
        It would make more sense to keep Essence in pace with Willpower.
        (assuming the material on 187 is correct, the formula is Essence = Willpower x 5. But page 185 suggests it starts out at only 1 instead, as was the case for FbDF)

        Perhaps because there is no Size Special Advantage, there's no way that I can tell to increase health levels. How do you represent an especially hearty Familiar or Ally, and not just a quick-regenerating one? (Forged by Dragon's Fire had Resilience for 3 points)

        It seems intuitive that non-biological Constructs (or at the very least, Robots) wouldn't have natural regeneration, being needed to be repaired like FbDF suggests. Is that not the case? On the flip side, do robots and re-animates take would penalties? The flying skull example listed has only OKs and -5.
        a bit less optimistic after reading this. Bold mine.

        Comment


        • #19
          Dang, those are some serious bugs. Nobody realised those contradictions and //TODO empty rules in the errata?, any chance of them being fixed?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Aleph View Post
            Dang, those are some serious bugs. Nobody realised those contradictions and //TODO empty rules in the errata?, any chance of them being fixed?
            I noticed them but the errata thread was closed before I got around to creating an account.
            I have low hope that they'll be fixed, as broken logic errors tend to not be fixed in WW/Onyx Path games. (see also: In V20DA, Does Path of the Devil use instinct or self-control? It says self-control, but that would conflict with ethic 8, which requires riding the wave of frenzy)

            I like a lot of the material here, but I'm left clueless as to how to actually create an NPC familiar. As Vikingsean711 said, do we have to pay for merits a Type (like Animal or Robot) has to take, or do we get it for free as we did in FbDF? What about flaws? Do animal familiars get 2 additional freebie points (because they all have the Animal flaw)?

            Comment


            • #21
              I just read the meeting notes, it goes on sale this Wednesday.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Aknorals View Post

                I noticed them but the errata thread was closed before I got around to creating an account.
                I have low hope that they'll be fixed, as broken logic errors tend to not be fixed in WW/Onyx Path games. (see also: In V20DA, Does Path of the Devil use instinct or self-control? It says self-control, but that would conflict with ethic 8, which requires riding the wave of frenzy)

                I like a lot of the material here, but I'm left clueless as to how to actually create an NPC familiar. As Vikingsean711 said, do we have to pay for merits a Type (like Animal or Robot) has to take, or do we get it for free as we did in FbDF? What about flaws? Do animal familiars get 2 additional freebie points (because they all have the Animal flaw)?
                My reading of it is that you get Freebie Points for any Flaws you have, and spend Freebie Points for whatever Merits and Special Advantages you have, regardless of whether or not you must have them. The Types are merely suggestions for what sorts of traits some common kinds of companions (and Familiars) will tend to have.


                Comment


                • #23
                  Book's out for everyone on DRPG

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    So looking at the index in the preview I'm SO tempted to buy the PDF... But I've been slightly worried by the "bugs" mentioned above. Have things been errata'd?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      It really is grand to be reading another Mage book. As is usual for Mage: the Ascension supplements, there are tantalizing hints of forking metaplot paths (The Enlightened Shock Corps has been canceled!), new material expanding concepts that haven't been explored since 1991 (Avatar types, new paradox spirits), new story expansions and concepts to disagree thoroughly with, and some lovely art here and there.

                      Specifically happy to see a mention (though not a full writeup) of the alien Zigg and a character creation engine for companion/bygone/familiar characters. This is the kind of book every world of darkness line should have, imo.


                      Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                      Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
                        So looking at the index in the preview I'm SO tempted to buy the PDF... But I've been slightly worried by the "bugs" mentioned above. Have things been errata'd?
                        Well Aknorals made that post almost two months too late since the errata phase ended...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Octavo View Post
                          As is usual for Mage: the Ascension supplements, there are tantalizing hints of forking metaplot paths (The Enlightened Shock Corps has been canceled!)
                          This actually has been hinted at in the M20 corebook, in the HIT Mark section:

                          "One short-lived version even incorporated the
                          sentience of mind-wiped rival mages, but that experiment proved
                          disastrous for everyone involved."

                          I'm glad God & Monsters provides the (insane) stats for the leftover Atlas Units tho. They are indeed monsters.

                          EDIT:
                          I also have to say, I love Tiberus.
                          We finally get an example concept of a technocratic familiar, and he's one with a bit of backstory and interesting personality to boot.
                          Last edited by Ambrosia; 04-11-2019, 12:03 AM.


                          cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                          cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                          EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Aknorals I asked about some of the issues you brought up:

                            Size was an oversight and will be updated in Technocracy Reloaded
                            Rage and Gnosis didn't have the necessary word count and ST call was the response. For familiar creation, they do get normal stats which can substitute for appropriate abilities.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I just my POD in the mail and I noticed that the roman numeral on the side is IV. What was book III?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                In M20, we have the core book (i.e., the idjit-whacker), the Cookbook, the Book of Secrets, and now Gods and Monsters.


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X