X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dataweaver
    started a topic Gods and Monsters Discussion thread

Gods and Monsters Discussion thread

This thread is due discussing God's and Monsters, which has just been released to Kickstarter backers. It's not for Errata, but it is for discussing issues that you have with it that don't qualify as Errata.

• PhillyCuriosity
    replied
    I do feel the book missed a lot of critical elements answering the questions of "how do I incorporate this respectfully". The author of the Afro-Caribbean section commented that she was worried that people would just use zombies and such as monsters to kill which is a fine concern. The two options are: Don't include them or give the audience hints on how to use these characters well. I feel the book failed in the second regard.

I also find it fascinating that one of the Pacific Rim god-heads (I don't recall which) is listed as not working with outsiders. I wonder how many other god-forms have this kind of exclusion.

The art left much to be desired, but this may be born of the fact that this book has a picture for literally every entity. So instead of a period beautiful-but-at-best-atmospheric Lief Jones piece, we got a full color rendition of everything.

I have more criticisms and such but overall, for $15 it's cheaper and has more useful stuff in it than say Guide to the Traditions (for me). I think it easily holds up value-wise.

Leave a comment:

• Batjutsu
    replied
    The Art of Mage has a III on the side

Edit: doh I went AFK for a while and didn't refresh before replying.

Leave a comment:

• PhillyCuriosity
    replied
    The M20 art book is III so sayeth Satyros in a Facebook thread.

Leave a comment:

• Starglyte
    replied
    Ah! So I haven't missed anything yet. Maybe a future book is supposed to be III ( or it could be the cook-book) and Gods and Monsters came out before.

Leave a comment:

• Ambrosia
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    In M20, we have the core book (i.e., the idjit-whacker), the Cookbook, the Book of Secrets, and now Gods and Monsters.
    And "How Do You Do That?".
    I presume the cookbook has no roman numeral, since it's not quite a rulebook, nor strictly canon.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    In M20, we have the core book (i.e., the idjit-whacker), the Cookbook, the Book of Secrets, and now Gods and Monsters.

Leave a comment:

• Starglyte
    replied
    I just my POD in the mail and I noticed that the roman numeral on the side is IV. What was book III?

Leave a comment:

• PhillyCuriosity
    replied
    Aknorals I asked about some of the issues you brought up:

Size was an oversight and will be updated in Technocracy Reloaded
    Rage and Gnosis didn't have the necessary word count and ST call was the response. For familiar creation, they do get normal stats which can substitute for appropriate abilities.

Leave a comment:

• Ambrosia
    replied
    Originally posted by Octavo View Post
    As is usual for Mage: the Ascension supplements, there are tantalizing hints of forking metaplot paths (The Enlightened Shock Corps has been canceled!)
    This actually has been hinted at in the M20 corebook, in the HIT Mark section:

"One short-lived version even incorporated the
    sentience of mind-wiped rival mages, but that experiment proved
    disastrous for everyone involved."

I'm glad God & Monsters provides the (insane) stats for the leftover Atlas Units tho. They are indeed monsters.

EDIT:
    I also have to say, I love Tiberus.
    We finally get an example concept of a technocratic familiar, and he's one with a bit of backstory and interesting personality to boot.
    Last edited by Ambrosia; 04-11-2019, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
    So looking at the index in the preview I'm SO tempted to buy the PDF... But I've been slightly worried by the "bugs" mentioned above. Have things been errata'd?
    Well Aknorals made that post almost two months too late since the errata phase ended...

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    It really is grand to be reading another Mage book. As is usual for Mage: the Ascension supplements, there are tantalizing hints of forking metaplot paths (The Enlightened Shock Corps has been canceled!), new material expanding concepts that haven't been explored since 1991 (Avatar types, new paradox spirits), new story expansions and concepts to disagree thoroughly with, and some lovely art here and there.

Specifically happy to see a mention (though not a full writeup) of the alien Zigg and a character creation engine for companion/bygone/familiar characters. This is the kind of book every world of darkness line should have, imo.

Leave a comment:

• 11twiggins
    replied
    So looking at the index in the preview I'm SO tempted to buy the PDF... But I've been slightly worried by the "bugs" mentioned above. Have things been errata'd?

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Book's out for everyone on DRPG

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Aknorals View Post

I noticed them but the errata thread was closed before I got around to creating an account.
    I have low hope that they'll be fixed, as broken logic errors tend to not be fixed in WW/Onyx Path games. (see also: In V20DA, Does Path of the Devil use instinct or self-control? It says self-control, but that would conflict with ethic 8, which requires riding the wave of frenzy)

I like a lot of the material here, but I'm left clueless as to how to actually create an NPC familiar. As Vikingsean711 said, do we have to pay for merits a Type (like Animal or Robot) has to take, or do we get it for free as we did in FbDF? What about flaws? Do animal familiars get 2 additional freebie points (because they all have the Animal flaw)?
    My reading of it is that you get Freebie Points for any Flaws you have, and spend Freebie Points for whatever Merits and Special Advantages you have, regardless of whether or not you must have them. The Types are merely suggestions for what sorts of traits some common kinds of companions (and Familiars) will tend to have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X