Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romani Practices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Romani Practices

    Hello, everyone!

    So, one of my players want to make a Romani character for my new Arch, and I was looking for some sources for their practices, as well as suggestions of Traditions for him to join, without resorting to racist sources such as the old "Gypsies" book.
    Any thoughts on the matter?

  • #2
    As far as Traditions go, most traditional Romani mystical practitioners gravitate to the Dreamspeakers. (Obviously, characters who are ethnically Romani can practice any type of magic and join any Tradition they wish. However, the Verbena and Euthanatos are viewed as spirituality unclean because of their associations with blood and the dead, respectively.) Guide to the Traditions has a sidebar about them in the history chapter, but that is about it, I think.


    What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      As far as Traditions go, most traditional Romani mystical practitioners gravitate to the Dreamspeakers. (Obviously, characters who are ethnically Romani can practice any type of magic and join any Tradition they wish. However, the Verbena and Euthanatos are viewed as spirituality unclean because of their associations with blood and the dead, respectively.) Guide to the Traditions has a sidebar about them in the history chapter, but that is about it, I think.


      I'd argue the Hermetics cover a solid "magic as magic" and the Chorus religion as magic respectively for other options.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmmm...

        I'l check the Dreamspeakers aspect, but seeing the emphasis of their religion on Balance, and their Indian origins, I was tending towards Chakravanti.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sardonis View Post
          Hmmm...

          I'l check the Dreamspeakers aspect, but seeing the emphasis of their religion on Balance, and their Indian origins, I was tending towards Chakravanti.

          The Chakravanti also HEAVILY engage with you know the Dead. So they would be considered UNclean by the Romani..so a Romani of that Tradition would be the scary person at the Edge o their community(...much like they are in most). I would say the Celestial Chorus works better if you want to engage them in their religious aspects, there is after all a whole Brahman aspect of the Tradition.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lian View Post


            The Chakravanti also HEAVILY engage with you know the Dead. So they would be considered UNclean by the Romani..so a Romani of that Tradition would be the scary person at the Edge o their community(...much like they are in most). I would say the Celestial Chorus works better if you want to engage them in their religious aspects, there is after all a whole Brahman aspect of the Tradition.

            I believe you just convinced me to use the Chakravanti!

            I believe I'll move with something in the sense of their feminine magic being more attuned to the Speakers, and the male aspect being more in compass with the Chakravanti.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sardonis View Post


              I believe you just convinced me to use the Chakravanti!

              I believe I'll move with something in the sense of their feminine magic being more attuned to the Speakers, and the male aspect being more in compass with the Chakravanti.

              I don't think the Chakarvanti would be less unclean to the Romani than Verbena, but like in all socities there's someone who sits at the edge being creepy(...which those two traditions tend to cover)

              Comment

              Working...
              X