• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sardonis
    started a topic Romani Practices

Romani Practices

Hello, everyone!

So, one of my players want to make a Romani character for my new Arch, and I was looking for some sources for their practices, as well as suggestions of Traditions for him to join, without resorting to racist sources such as the old "Gypsies" book.
    Any thoughts on the matter?

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Sardonis View Post

I believe you just convinced me to use the Chakravanti!

I believe I'll move with something in the sense of their feminine magic being more attuned to the Speakers, and the male aspect being more in compass with the Chakravanti.

I don't think the Chakarvanti would be less unclean to the Romani than Verbena, but like in all socities there's someone who sits at the edge being creepy(...which those two traditions tend to cover)

Leave a comment:

• Sardonis
    replied
    Originally posted by Lian View Post

The Chakravanti also HEAVILY engage with you know the Dead. So they would be considered UNclean by the Romani..so a Romani of that Tradition would be the scary person at the Edge o their community(...much like they are in most). I would say the Celestial Chorus works better if you want to engage them in their religious aspects, there is after all a whole Brahman aspect of the Tradition.

I believe you just convinced me to use the Chakravanti!

I believe I'll move with something in the sense of their feminine magic being more attuned to the Speakers, and the male aspect being more in compass with the Chakravanti.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Sardonis View Post
    Hmmm...

I'l check the Dreamspeakers aspect, but seeing the emphasis of their religion on Balance, and their Indian origins, I was tending towards Chakravanti.

The Chakravanti also HEAVILY engage with you know the Dead. So they would be considered UNclean by the Romani..so a Romani of that Tradition would be the scary person at the Edge o their community(...much like they are in most). I would say the Celestial Chorus works better if you want to engage them in their religious aspects, there is after all a whole Brahman aspect of the Tradition.

Leave a comment:

• Sardonis
    replied
    Hmmm...

I'l check the Dreamspeakers aspect, but seeing the emphasis of their religion on Balance, and their Indian origins, I was tending towards Chakravanti.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    As far as Traditions go, most traditional Romani mystical practitioners gravitate to the Dreamspeakers. (Obviously, characters who are ethnically Romani can practice any type of magic and join any Tradition they wish. However, the Verbena and Euthanatos are viewed as spirituality unclean because of their associations with blood and the dead, respectively.) Guide to the Traditions has a sidebar about them in the history chapter, but that is about it, I think.

I'd argue the Hermetics cover a solid "magic as magic" and the Chorus religion as magic respectively for other options.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    As far as Traditions go, most traditional Romani mystical practitioners gravitate to the Dreamspeakers. (Obviously, characters who are ethnically Romani can practice any type of magic and join any Tradition they wish. However, the Verbena and Euthanatos are viewed as spirituality unclean because of their associations with blood and the dead, respectively.) Guide to the Traditions has a sidebar about them in the history chapter, but that is about it, I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X