Countering Night Folk Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countering Night Folk Powers

Would you guys consider countering Night Folk powers (such as cainites' disciplines and werewolves' gifts etc) to be vulgar magick? And what kind of powers would you allow a mage to counter/dispell? And which ones would you not?

Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post
    Would you guys consider countering Night Folk powers (such as cainites' disciplines and werewolves' gifts etc) to be vulgar magick? And what kind of powers would you allow a mage to counter/dispell? And which ones would you not?

No I wouldn't consider it vulgar when "nothing happens". I'd be more prone to letting someone come up with superior countermeasures than raw "I unmagic your shit" but that's my broad setup if someone wants to counter magic a gift or a discpline ala standard methology Prime+spirit for gifts. I'm not sure what difficulties I'd apply for disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post
      Whether it's vulgar depends on a few things.

1) does the Mage think they can do it? A Hermetic who commands the umbrood regularly could easily believe that they can command the spirits to ignore the commands of werewolves, effectively countering many Gifts that involve spirit manipulation for example. If it fits well into the practice it's more likely to be coincidental.

2) does it fit with the reality zone? In medieval europe, blocking the powers of a vampire or werewolf using the sign of the cross, or some religious action, would probably be coincidental for example. Same with any method that exploits an old wive's tale or occult superstition. Blocking fae powers with cold iron or the sound of an iron bell ringing, for example. But blocking a Vampire's invisibility with an orb of sunshine that reveals hidden things is gonna be as vulgar as usual (unless you're in a sanctum or similar).

3) is the mage being subtle or clever about it? Chanting something about dousing flames in Latin before throwing a bucket of water over a Lupine with flaming claws would be a sensible and coincidental counter to such a gift. Doing the same without the water would be more likely vulgar. Then again if that Latin chant is a prayer, and the Mage is exploiting religious beliefs, then the water might be superfluous.

Overall, it depends.

Comment

Working...
      X