A visual arrangement of the Spheres.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A visual arrangement of the Spheres.

Rather than present the Spheres to players in alphabetical order or randomly, I prefer to go by their Essential groupings: Pattern, Dynamic, Primordial. I'm sure a lot of people do that. Further, I've found that placing those groups orthogonal to another axis (Movement, Structure, Entity) and creating a square grid is even better. It seems to help with mentally organizing and remembering the Spheres. Here's what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/NQVjCgE

By pleasant coincidence, the three symmetrical symbols are in the middle column.

Huh. There is one thing that I am curious about: Why do you have Life under "Entity - Pattern" and Mind under "Entity - Dynamic"?
    To me it'd be rather the opposite; Life is dynamic, fleeting, ever growing, mutating withering and growing again in its endless variations through the course of creation, while the Mind is the thing that gives percieved structure and order to views, perceptions and behaviors.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, nevermind. You put Life under 'Pattern' because it often gets described as a 'pattern' sphere - which I personally think does not equal the pattern under the "Pattern - Dynamic - Primordeal" division. Same for Forces and time, IMO - technically Time is the much more constant Pattern that, even threatening extreme additional Paradox, just wants to take its steady step through all of existance, while Forces are the Dynamic and chaotic influence that affects everything.

Still, an interesting table - I'm just not sure I'd structure it like that. I think, as I said, the 'Pattern' in Pattern Spheres does not directly correspond to the 'pattern' (i.e. order) in the 'Dynamic - Patterm - Primordeal' trinity. Your association of Matter with Pattern and Correspondence with Dynamic, tho, fits IMO.
    Last edited by Ambrosia; 05-01-2019, 01:08 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
    cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
    EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

The Pattern/Dynamic/Primordial groupings I have are the same ones in the book, though I can't remember the page. The column groupings I just made up entirely.

Edited to add: I'm not sure of the game designers' rationale for why those particular Spheres are Pattern. My rationale is that those are the Spheres that make up the physical substance of the reality. I see the Dynamic Spheres as being a sort of framework for reality (Mind is less obviously so, but remember that the Consensus is part of reality's framework). Then the Primordial Spheres describe the essence or foundation of reality. I'm sure it's kind of arbitrary, but it's hard for me to imagine a better grouping.
      Last edited by Faradn; 05-01-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

If it is helping you communicate important ideas to your group, that's fantastic. The whole breaking Spheres into arbitrary groupings that match up with the Metaphysical Trinity has never done anything for me, though. To my thinking there's no particular reason they should break into an even distribution. The pattern group is the only one that made sense to me because Life, Matter, and Forces make sense as the spheres that make up the world as it is experienced, and even then I'd throw Spirit and Mind into that section or a related one.

To me the image that explained them as a process made more sense.

Prime - The fundamental essence that underpins everything >>>

Correspondence, Time - The space/region for things to happen in >>>

Spirit, Mind - The fundamental ideas/blueprints/concepts behind physical reality >>>

Matter, Forces, Life - Physical reality >>>

Entropy - the decay of physical reality back into fundamental essence >>>

And so on...

I may have put them a bit out of order

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
          If it is helping you communicate important ideas to your group, that's fantastic. The whole breaking Spheres into arbitrary groupings that match up with the Metaphysical Trinity has never done anything for me, though. To my thinking there's no particular reason they should break into an even distribution. The pattern group is the only one that made sense to me because Life, Matter, and Forces make sense as the spheres that make up the world as it is experienced, and even then I'd throw Spirit and Mind into that section or a related one.

To me the image that explained them as a process made more sense.

Correspondence, Time - The space/region for things to happen in >>>

Spirit, Mind - The fundamental ideas/blueprints/concepts behind physical reality >>>

Matter, Forces, Life - Physical reality >>>

Entropy - the decay of physical reality back into fundamental essence >>>

And so on...

I may have put them a bit out of order

Reminds me of the Wheel of Spheres from the Core Rulebook (can't remember which Edition though. Maybe Revised).
          Found it on google here

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmiumcadamium View Post
            Reminds me of the Wheel of Spheres from the Core Rulebook (can't remember which Edition though. Maybe Revised).
            Found it on google here
            Personally, I love that wheel - and the reason is simple:
            In one image, it demostrates how the spheres encompass the whole of reality and creation, and also how the cycle of creation and decomposition also gets mirrored in the arrangement of spheres. It gets the idea across that, with the right spheres, you can do anything.
            It is beautifully simple and easily visualized.
            Last edited by Ambrosia; 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
            cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
            EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Working...
            X