Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pull a "Wanda Maximoff?"

[trigger warning - death of children]

And by this, I am not talking about her "hexing" powers.

At one point in the Marvel Comics, Wanda Maximoff, AKA the Scarlet Witch, married fellow avenger Vision and gave birth to twin sons. It was later learned that these children were not real, born out of Wanda's own desire for children, with a little help from Mephisto.

So what I am thinking is constructing a scenario where the players are led to investigate a home which is "haunted" by a poltergeist. The focus of these events appears to be their young son, who is just the best, most gifted little youngster a mother could ever want. It just seems they are haunted by some unknown spectre, causing destruction around the house. Her husband is warm and caring, but at some point during the visit will engage in breathtaking neglect, which will result in a furious argument followed by reconciliation.

The truth of the situation is the mother is a marauder, and the father and son are illusions created by her. A few years ago her husband was involved in a car accident, killing himself and their child. He was, unfortunately at fault. After learning of this, the mother became a marauder and erased the memory of the accident from her mind, and constructed a false husband and son. She has been living this way for some time, however the illusion is starting to fall apart at the seams, and she is beginning to remember. Every time she does, she distracts herself with the "poltergeist" so that she can fulfill her need to run to her son's rescue. Alternately, she makes the father do something neglectful, so that she can chastise and reconcile with him.

The illusion needs to be able to stand up to scrutiny for a little while. It's no fun if they figure it out right away. Any suggestions?

The biggest problem is that you're dealing with mages. If the illusions are projections of her Quiet, you only need a character with Mind 2+ (IIRC) to figure that out pretty quickly. If the illusions are created as active effects... someone with some Awareness and Prime 1 is going to figure it out pretty quickly.

It's a neat premise, it's just calibrated below your average Mage group's capabilities, so keeping it going for any length of time is going to be hard.

Comment

I think book of Madness had rules for people being caught in someone's Quiet but Its been a while since I saw that book.

Comment

I agree: The best bet for the mages initially not noticing anything regarding the Marauder and their Magick would be them having been caught in the Marauder's Quiet.

M20 also has rules for this, but for the sake of the story, I'd simply silently make it happen until the moment one of them realizes what's up; Note that a Marauder's field of Quiet is location based, usually - and usually simply limited to the vincinity of the Marauder, unless the Quiet becomes permanent in the victims.
        But: I'd make it encompass the Mother's home in this case - almost like a form of Marauder-Quiet Sanctum.

Actually making the house the Marauder's Sanctum would probably have exactly that kind of effect - it's unexplored territory, rules-wise, as normally the concept of a Sanctum does not quite make sense with Marauders at first thought - they already are walking Sanctums of their paradigm.
        But a 'Marauder Sanctum' could simply be what other Sanctum's are - a location based well of said paradigm. Or in Marauder's case, their Quiet.

This all allows you to build up a spoopy story, while also giving you hooks to craft situations where the mages get into a position where one of them has the chance to realize that something is horribly wrong - a simple example would be one of the Mages separating from the group, and by chance noticing that things can be noticed that are simply gone when inside..
        Last edited by Ambrosia; 05-15-2019, 04:23 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
        cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
        EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Suppose she had some dots in Prime, do you think she could "wallpaper over" the tapestry, so to speak, so that when mages investigated magically, they only saw what it appeared to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy711 View Post
            Suppose she had some dots in Prime, do you think she could "wallpaper over" the tapestry, so to speak, so that when mages investigated magically, they only saw what it appeared to be?
            That's what the Quiet is for that I mentioned - Mages that are caught in a Marauder's Quiet essentially *share* the Marauder's paradigm for a while. They see what the Marauder sees, understand what the Marauder understands - they are essentially, for a moment, just as insane as them. No specific spheres needed. It's Marauderdom.

As I said, normally in M20 there are some rules where the effect is not instantaneous, and the Mages can resist at first, but for the sake of the story I'd make them pretty much fall into it unnoticed at first, and later they slowly discover that they are caught in madness, and that what they are seeing (even with the usage of spheres) is not actually what's happening.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
            cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
            EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Much kudos for the idea of a 'Marauder's Sanctum'!

Comment

Working...
              X