Life Extension is too Harsh in Post 2nd Ed Mage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Extension is too Harsh in Post 2nd Ed Mage

I know since the Dark Ages mages have been afraid of Magic Waning. But I feel they went overboard with how difficult life extension became. Like if you used life to make yourself young again or to halt aging the Consensus would work against it because you are actually supposed to be old.

But I feel loop holes should work. Like say a mage slumbering in stasis, or frozen, or Turning their body into stone to hibernate while Astral Projecting, or inhabiting a proxy body. These types shouldn't age rapidly because their magic wasn't renewing youth to an old form but just stoping Aging and using magic to exist outside their body.

Like I feel they went overboard with this in revised making it hard and impossible because they wanted Grittier mage. In 1st and 2nd ed we indeed were rife with mages who were centuries or Millenia old, but I feel there should be work arounds to find a middle ground.

Exalted also did this with saying your essence is what ages so even if you shapeshift to a different body you can still die of old age because your lifeforce weakens. Its also similar to how Awakened does it with Death magic controlling your lifespan and having to steal life from others to stay young.

Its just other magics can make you stay young, yeah vampirism is a curse and a pitfall, but Fae magic can actually do it, both with the simple Freehold retarding aging but also with Unleashings and some cantrips.

And what about Fetishes, they are supposed to work around Paradox because the awakened magic is actually in binding the spirit while the actual powers of a Fetish comes from the spirit which isn't hampered by Paradox.

And Sorcerers can retard aging.

And magical wonders that probably exist in the Umbra and Dreaming like a Golden Apple of Idunn. I always like the idea that sometimes we have some supernaturals that found something like this and they are actually over a hundred because they ate one at some point in their past.

It is a time for great deeds!

Who told you that you can't be immortal in revised edition? You most definitely can It's just that you accumulate permanent paradox making it impossible to remain on earth UNLESS the local consensus(aka sanctums, specifically enchanted areas etc,) supports immortality

Comment

And the rules for that are from Horizon: Stronghold of Hope, a very, very, old book from the end of 1e/begining of 2e.

You don't even gain Permadox as long as you stay off world. The general idea, that has stayed from the beginnings of Mage to the end, it's that mages can be totally immortal, but those that are whay past their time suffer if they go to Earth (unless they have special protections) because the forces that constitute what we now call "Paradox" (that existed in other forms before) make it harder.

That's one of the reasons Masters pursue the Ascencion War (even from the Technocratic side, at least one of the founders of the OoR wanted immortality above all else).

It's also part of the whole argument Mage has against "Hubris". Mages who are "old beyond their time" are often shown to be insane or corrupted by their power...unable to Ascend. Their alienation from humanity it's part of that package.
      Last edited by Aleph; 06-12-2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

That’s literally what I’m talking about when life extension is too Harsh. I think it should only apply to those who say reverse their age. I like the idea a mage turned a rival to stone in say Victorian era and they awaken in the present with like a kiss or something, and they won’t die from Paradox build up.

Comment

As long as the mage was in complete stasis, (hadn't chance to gain exp nor interact with the world in any way), I would allow it.

It's not so much being "immortal" as a sort of "time travel" or "resurrection". For that mage the clock stopped. The phisics involved may be similar, but the metaphisics involved differ

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
            As long as the mage was in complete stasis, (hadn't chance to gain exp nor interact with the world in any way), I would allow it.

It's not so much being "immortal" as a sort of "time travel" or "resurrection". For that mage the clock stopped. The phisics involved may be similar, but the metaphisics involved differ
            it's not just a reasonable house rule, it's canon. That etruscan lich is a perfect example

Comment

If you change the consensus on Aging the longer you can live without Paradox.. this is perhaps as people have said the entire basis of the Ascension war. As for comparisons to Vampirism.. well ONE FOUNDER of the Order of HErmes thought it was a better deal so...it has to come out somewhat close for it not to be pants on your head dumb for Clan Tremere to exist... or ANY blood magic clan to exist..

Comment

There's the 2 pt. Unaging merit from Revised, and the Immortality merit from the Book of Secrets, for those who want to play an ageless Mage from centuries past. I believe the Revised merit even mentions eating the golden apples as a possible explanation for a given Mage to have it.

Comment

Permadox for immortal mages is quite overrated. Master of the arts give the rule of 1 permadox by 50 years above one's apparent age.

So a mage born in the 1500s and looking like a 30 years old have 10 Permadox points.

But mages that old have most probably an extensive knowledge of the Umbra.

And according to the Book of worlds, Entering in the heart of the Flux, in the middle umbra, purge one of permadox point.

Comment

Isn't that the place that does 3 aggravated per point of permadox?

Edit: If this is 'The Pulse', a place that burns away permanent points of paradox, you take 3 unsoakable DICE (I thought it was levels) of aggravated damage when you enter it for every point of permanent paradox. It mentions even archmages don't like to risk that. The pain is /horrible/
                    Last edited by Jihelu; 06-18-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah, if someone only learns about that workaround after a century of practicing magic, the chances of getting kablooeyed probably outweigh the benefits.

Comment

And I'm pretty sure most mages don't know that little secret of Cosmological lore anyways.

Comment

I was talking about a suggested way with my GF just today, that a master of Prime (I suggest Sphere 6 for Prime TBH but not everyone likes arch-spheres (Sphere 7 if you use the 6-9 rules)) should have some sort of spell that lets you put permadox into a phylactery like object, and as long as they do a ritual every year or so it begins burning the permadox off at a rate of like....one per every ten years. If its destroyed though the mage should be permanently harmed in some way, possibly lose a point of arete or avatar maybe? Maybe just backlash real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jihelu View Post
                            I was talking about a suggested way with my GF just today, that a master of Prime (I suggest Sphere 6 for Prime TBH but not everyone likes arch-spheres (Sphere 7 if you use the 6-9 rules)) should have some sort of spell that lets you put permadox into a phylactery like object, and as long as they do a ritual every year or so it begins burning the permadox off at a rate of like....one per every ten years. If its destroyed though the mage should be permanently harmed in some way, possibly lose a point of arete or avatar maybe? Maybe just backlash real bad.
                            That's a cool idea, maybe even a method to turn it into a living sort of AntiFamiliar. Like a pesky Goblin you can't kill it, and its troublesome but maybe it can be situationally useful or partially tamed.

Comment

I suggested you might also make a living version of this, to keep a better eye on it It probably requires conjunctional Matter/Life.

If you wanna make it especially deadly make it so you have to put /all/ of your permadox in it, so an old ass archmage would be putting a lot into this person/object and if they die/break the mage is fucked. Maybe they have to burn off so much permadox the mage has to make the damn human immortal as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X