Recharging Nodes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging Nodes

I know Mages can reawaken nodes and create new ones, but I cannot find anything that says they can recharge them. Garou/Changing Breeds can reawaken, recharge, and create new caerns/nodes through rites and they often hate mages because they "suck" the energy out of a node and render it dry/dead. If this is true then that could explain why Mages cannot recharge a node, but if a mage can recharge a node just like a werewolf can then that accusation is a little weaker. Is there any book that further talks about this? The core rulebook seems to imply that a node background recharges on its own each week.

Prime 5 can let you charge your pattern from 'nothing' to ridiculous levels, using the damage chart. (So something like an easy to gain 5 successes would give you 10, and so on)

I imagine Prime 5 could easily put that into a Node or go into making it stronger.

Comment

Indeed, and I would argue that if you have the necessary Quintessence at hand, you should be able to do it at lower levels. Perhaps as low as 3 (that's enough to recharge Wonders)

Originally posted by Starcomet
      Garou/Changing Breeds can reawaken, recharge, and create new caerns/nodes through rites and they often hate mages because they "suck" the energy out of a node and render it dry/dead. If this is true then that could explain why Mages cannot recharge a node, but if a mage can recharge a node just like a werewolf can then that accusation is a little weaker. Is there any book that further talks about this?
      Rather than basing the accusation on what mages can do (of which Werewolves have, frankly, no idea), it would be wiser to focus on historic and strategic reasons. Werewolves had bad experiences with mages.

First, because if they want to enter a Caern it's invarably to use it's power. This it's already bad from the perspective of Garou, that see the place as somewhere to live and object of protection rather than a convinient source of Gnosis.

While I don't think it would be hard for mages to recharge a Node, for most mages it would defeat the purpose. The point of having a Node it's to get Quintessence, if you have to give that Quintessence back then you gain nothing...and Nodes can recharge by themselves anyway. Even with Prime 5 most mages would rather keep that excess energy in a storage instead of charging a Node that's going to recharge itself to a fixed level anyway.

It's not impossible, but it's not something that most mages would have reason to do.

Now, most mages won't ever suck a Node dry either. Even if the mages don't treat it like holly ground (as many do do), it's simply a bad idea because then it won't recharge (w/o expending magick yourself). You're loosing a valuable asset. Most likely, a Mage sucking a Node dry would suffer severe penalties from it's coleagues...

...unless, perhaps, it's an enemy Node. Most of the time it doesn't make sense to suck a Node dry. But if you can't keep it, well, you can make sure the enemy can't either. I can see stolen Caerns being suck dry merely because protecting the place against returning werewolves would have proven too costly

Comment

Working...
      X