Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Ascension Mage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My first Ascension Mage

    Hello everyone. Okay so I'm putting together my first mage.
    Here is the long and the short of it.
    He's a Templar, his mother and father were Sleep Walkers fighting on the front lines vs. the Marauders, and the Nepharandi(sp?). Even he joined up. Though by the time he was old enough to the Chorus and the Templars started working together more actively. When he awakened it was on a battlefield somewhere in India probably near the "star" trying to push back some Maurder cult that was worshiping the things that lay in the maddening darkness. His squad is being torn apart by this marauder and his mount a "black Goat" spawn. In a last desperate moment he calls upon heaven, and prayers were answered as a pillar of flame consumed the goat, it's rider, and the mad cultists following the Marauder.

    He sees a 4 winged angle before him (his avatar) who offers him his familiar a...
    Well That's where I am drawing my first blank.
    What is this familiar? Personally I'm thinking it should be a war capable beast one able to fight and carry him into battle. Since my avatar is angelic and my character views magic as manipulating the energy that God used to make the world so the creature should seem heavenly. The opposite of a Child of the Black Goat. And to save on Paradox I was figuring if it could fly given most people don't really look up, that should work.

    I was told though this idea was bad because something like that would need constant influx of Quintessence to stay alive. I am willing to put 2 or 3 dots in for a creature that is able to handle it's self in battle, stand proud as we protect the world from those who would cast it into outer darkness or give it over to their insane masters the gibbering hordes of madness from beyond the place where nothing has it's place. But does anyone know what a good form for my familiar should be?



  • #2
    If you don't want the Familiar to need a constant influx of Quintessence to stay alive, you need something that's not overtly supernatural. Flying while carrying a whole human ain't going to be possible for realistic creatures (unless, perhaps, your familiar it's a combat Drone. But your mage doesn't seem the techie kind).

    Better halve your expectations and chose a white horse or a prey bird, like an eagle. Both are very magestic, and would look well with a knight. The bird may be easier to carry to battle because it's smaller, but depending on the terrain the horse may carry you to it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aleph View Post
      If you don't want the Familiar to need a constant influx of Quintessence to stay alive, you need something that's not overtly supernatural. Flying while carrying a whole human ain't going to be possible for realistic creatures (unless, perhaps, your familiar it's a combat Drone. But your mage doesn't seem the techie kind).

      Better halve your expectations and chose a white horse or a prey bird, like an eagle. Both are very magestic, and would look well with a knight. The bird may be easier to carry to battle because it's smaller, but depending on the terrain the horse may carry you to it.
      Sadly modern day San Fransisco, is where this will be taking place. So A horse may or may not work. I was planning to have a quintessence stat of 7 to start. I think the real question is how thirsty something like a Dragon, Cherubim, or Heavenly Winged Lion would draw as opposed to my replenishment rate?


      Comment


      • #4
        In general, Mage Modern Reality isn't kind to such supernaturally looking creatures. However, I would need to know what rules the ST it's using to know how unkind. These things vary between editions, and even feeding them Quintessence might not be enough to avoid them suffering damage.

        I can say that starting Quintessence it's not going to be meaningfull to keep a being like that, having a source to get Quintessence (like a potent Node) and a place with a local Paradigm where the creature can "exist" (like a Sanctum) are more relevant factors
        Last edited by Aleph; 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ah in that case I guess I will go with a simple white lion. That should be good for 2 dots?
          Then maybe an angelic muscle augmentation.
          And pick up some knowledge dots and that should finish out the crunchy stuff. Then it's things like picking tools.


          Comment


          • #6
            Having a full ass lion in the city may be kinda difficult unless you have spheres to hide it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, people tends to get scared by lions walking in their midst, and call animal control.

              Now, a familiar can have more than one shape. Some are shapeshifters, like being able to transform into a human being. These creatures could fool Unbelief Paradox as long as their more esoterical aspects remain under wraps (and ideally one wouldn't choose a form that atracts too much attention). But you need to expend points on this kind of disguise.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post
                I was planning to have a quintessence stat of 7 to start.
                I know this conversation is about the familiar (though again, edition matters a lot here), but to this point?

                Don't. While spending freebies for Quint is not always a bad idea, it's not a good idea roughly 99.99% of the time. Buying points that don't come back when you use them is generally not as good as buy ways to refill your tank.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

                  I know this conversation is about the familiar (though again, edition matters a lot here), but to this point?

                  Don't. While spending freebies for Quint is not always a bad idea, it's not a good idea roughly 99.99% of the time. Buying points that don't come back when you use them is generally not as good as buy ways to refill your tank.

                  Oh Mage 20th...
                  And Those don't come back!!! Oh hell with that another point of Avatar it is.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do you have access to the Gods and Monsters supplement? It has a set of traits for building familiars and other mage allies that might be useful for gauging in what you can expect to get (though talk to your ST about if you'll get freebies by Familiar Background rating or the flat ones in the G&M rules since it assumes characters that are PCs despite their connections to mages).

                    Also, more Avatar isn't bad, but going past 3 has limited returns. It's worth considering previously mentioned things like Node if available, or ones like Legend are worth considering (it's a rarer source of Quintessence than a Node, but easier to deal with), or a Wonder that's a Periapt (aka a quint battery).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      Do you have access to the Gods and Monsters supplement? It has a set of traits for building familiars and other mage allies that might be useful for gauging in what you can expect to get (though talk to your ST about if you'll get freebies by Familiar Background rating or the flat ones in the G&M rules since it assumes characters that are PCs despite their connections to mages).
                      I'll have to look into that

                      Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      Also, more Avatar isn't bad, but going past 3 has limited returns. It's worth considering previously mentioned things like Node if available, or ones like Legend are worth considering (it's a rarer source of Quintessence than a Node, but easier to deal with), or a Wonder that's a Periapt (aka a quint battery).
                      Ah in that case I'll consider adding to resources or perhaps doing an enhancement. Some kind of Angelic Muscle Fiber Augmentation, or Celestial reflex enhancer, or both. Or a Wonder, something that fits my themes.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Avatar 5 lets you turn a +3 difficulty into a -2, so higher Avatar is good. It's just not as good as other things.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Okay my working on focus looks like this, am I doing this right?
                          Paradigm: Magick is the left overs from when god made the earth, we can manipulate it as his children.
                          Practice: Faith
                          Tools:
                          Old Book of Mormon, Blessings, Curses, Prayers, Hymns, Armor, Swords


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I suggest having more than 1 Practice, I think martial arts is considered a practice (Or its just an instrument) or perhaps taking meditation/Yoga, as having more than 1 practice lets you kinda work with a lot more.

                            Tools are less 'objects' and more, broad catagories. Old book of Mormon would be "Books/Texts" while blessings and curses are the same category, Prayers and Incantations are the same category as well. Weapons are a category, etc.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jihelu View Post
                              I think martial arts is considered a practice (Or its just an instrument)
                              It can be both.

                              It's described as a Practice in the Focus section...but you can use Skills as Instruments, and MA it's a Skill too. I would think it's an appropiate Instrument for the Practice. If Akashicks can use Do as Instrument (they can), why would we say that other MA styles (like, say, Jackie Chan's style of kung fu) aren't "Instrumentable" ?

                              Tools are less 'objects' and more, broad catagories. Old book of Mormon would be "Books/Texts" while blessings and curses are the same category, Prayers and Incantations are the same category as well. Weapons are a category, etc.
                              This is relative, while Weapons it's an Instrument, so it's Swords and Knives (specifically) as per the sample in High Ritual Magick.

                              It's the player who decides (with the ST) how broad or specific it's his selection of instruments. A religious mage that believes in the power of the Holy Bible wouldn't just grab any book at the library (say, a small Thomas the Tank Engine book) and start brandishing it against the heathens - it just doesn't make any sense, it has to be a religious book (and one that's important for his religion).

                              I must say that when I first read the "Focus and the Arts" section, I liked it as a much needed tool to streamline Paradigms...but the more I see that section being mentioned in this forums the more doubts I have about it's actual value.

                              It's like some grab the "elements" presented in these chapters without thinking on how these reflect the concepts of their character. As if it was a static list of options (like D&D character classes or Weapon list) instead of being examples that one needs to actually flesh out in order to use

                              Just an impresion I have...

                              My recommendation for everyone it's: Don't treat that chapter as a list of concrete options. Think on how the Paradigm/Practice/Instrument make sense for the character's Beliefs, and adjust these elements accordingly with the help of the ST
                              Last edited by Aleph; 07-15-2019, 10:09 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X