No announcement yet.

Book Of The Fallen - Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironhands are basically tech-savvy Malfeans, from the sound of it. The type that'd work for Pentex's aerodefense, PMC, firearm and military tech subsidiaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Logothétēs View Post
      Ironhands are basically tech-savvy Malfeans, from the sound of it. The type that'd work for Pentex's aerodefense, PMC, firearm and military tech subsidiaries.
      Without the “we worship the Wyrm” bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
        Nice. I especially like the Ironhands, they fill a niche that the Big Evil Three just...don't.

Any Nephandic paradigms? I liked that section in M20, pointing out how Qlippothic magick is fundamentally a dark spin on more normal views - Gods and Monsters is a view that leads to misanthropy, sure, but it also states that mages have agency to make it better, for my favorite example. Any on that?
        Paradigms
        The Paradigms associated with the Practice of Maleficia are very appropriate to the Nephandi. In addition, you get:

All power comes from sin
        Barbarism is the truest state of man
        Cosmic horror is the only truth
        Everyone's against me, so whatever I do is justified
        Evil is necessary, and so I am evil
        Existence is unknowable, irrational, and sublime
        Forbidden wisdom is the truest source of power
        I am all
        I'm a predator, and the world is my prey
        Indulgence is nature's only law
        Only the strongest deserve to survive
        People are shit
        Rebellion is the road to Transcendence
        We are stormtroopers of the abyss

Practices
        Every Nephandus incorporates Maleficia into their Practice, whatever other elements are there. Especially among the barabbi, just about any Practice can be found here; but unless they're acting as moles, they go for the most malevolent interpretation of their Practice as possible.

Abyssalism
        The Black Mass
        Demonism
        Feralism
        Goetia
        Infernal Sciences
        Vamamarga

Instruments
        Start with the Instruments associated with Maleficia and whatever other Practices are incorporated into the Focus. There's also:

Atrocity
        Perversion
        Mutilation
        Torment
        Trolling and Cyberbullying
        Violation
        Last edited by Dataweaver; 11-15-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

When this hits retail I'll be interested in seeing what distinguishes Malefica, the Black Mass, Demonism, and Goetia from each other.

Comment

I tend to view Maleficia as more of a placeholder: a general “doing magic by doing evil” Practice, whereas the ones in Book of the Fallen tend to be more specialized. Frankly, Is be inclined to scrap it as a standalone Practice and instead treat it as something that has to be combined with some other Practice. Or maybe treat it as a Paradigm, which flavors the way the mage utilizes whatever her Practice happens to be in the most obscene and malicious way possible.

The Black Mass, while commonly identified with Catholicism, actually predates it. It features deliberate, profane, and often sexual inversions of the dominant culture's sacred rituals. In short, it's not so much about being malicious, per se, as it is about trashing what people revere and perverting what people hold to be pure.

Demonism is centered around the notion of the Infernal Pact — though in the case of an Awakened mage, it tends to be more metaphorical and centered on the mage himself being a demonic power that lesser beings (such as mortals) bargain with. He also bargains with actual demons, but tends to do so outside the framework of Infernal Pacts and as more of an ally than a supplicant.

Goetia is similar to Demonism, but it's less about bargaining with demons than it is with controlling them. It's also described as a disreputable variation on High Ritual. It's included here not because it's inherently malicious, but because it's a good way to Fall.

Comment

Working...
            X