No announcement yet.

Thoughts about Mage 5th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to think the Traditions would be in Vogue among society's elite. I mean, if the flood of shitty chinese comics are anything to go by, knowing any kind of magic automatically lets you rub shoulders with power and influence. Now, sure, in the World of Darkness Asia is special, but I can't imagine it so much different considering masionic orders, fraternities, building societies... All that shit I don't know anything about because I'm broke. https://www.religionnewsblog.com/118...lts-in-the-usa seems to be in favour of para-religious organizations which would be ideal grounds for tradition mages. (I will point out that Europe seems to be a blank spot harmful religious groups, but one could point to pagan revivalism or the rise of right wing groups whom are usually rather quack give the Traditions and their nephandi some ground. With the Uber wealthy, one could always consider the absence of evidence as evidence.

"The absence of evidence being evidence" was a ludicrus justification for the satanic panic, but it works perfectly for the World of Darkness. But People with big money tend to fall into two extremes; Reserved old boys with traditions and aggressive new money gamblers; For different reasons Both are likely to attract the supernatural as they collect strange things and invest in or protect their supernatural help. If you can pay a man tens of thousands to avoid hundreds of thousands in taxes, you can play a man tens of thousands for a lucky charm to avoid hundreds of thousands in bad investments.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

• Personally, I'd like to see Steve Kenson (of Mutants & Masterminds, Icons, and TC:Aberrant fame) take a crack at M5's Magick system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        Personally, I'd like to see Steve Kenson (of Mutants & Masterminds, Icons, and TC:Aberrant fame) take a crack at M5's Magick system.
        I think he’s a good designer, and made some good design choices when Green Ronin made the 2nd edition of Warhammer Fantasy Role-play. He does tend to strip down a lot of the junk in systems, making them simple to use while still maintaining the integrity of the design brief. I just don’t know if they’d be interested in investing in a WoD title though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
          I'd like to think the Traditions would be in Vogue among society's elite. I mean, if the flood of shitty chinese comics are anything to go by, knowing any kind of magic automatically lets you rub shoulders with power and influence. Now, sure, in the World of Darkness Asia is special, but I can't imagine it so much different considering masionic orders, fraternities, building societies... All that shit I don't know anything about because I'm broke.
          Being trendy is meaningless if they can't foster actual belief. And with the Technocracy watching the tip of the pyramid to ensure traditionalists don't erode their powerbase and an entire nephandi group dedicated to Forbes 500, who capitalizes on that trendiness isn't a given. Is the new spiritual center offering yoga and meditation a front for choristers, euthanathoi and/or akashics trying to create a cult among the wealthy? A mammonite plot to do the same? An infernalist ploy to set up and expose a "satanic" group to taint public perception of traditionalist beliefs? Or a Syndicate plan to water down and trivialize traditionalist beliefs (and make a quick buck)? Or all of the above, with individuals from each group vying for control behind the scenes.

Also, Enlightened freemasons were founders of the Order of Reason. And as a side note, didn't know there was an upsurge in manhua popularity these days. Then again, I'm not a huge fan or anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Barto View Post

The Dreamspeakers were the only ones changing their slave name. And to be fair, accusing the rest of the traditions as colonialists using the DS as a "tribal dump" was a part of their characterization since 2nd or revised. As for the rest... yeah, it's kinda dumb that everyone got caught in this renaming zeitgeist. The names themselves range from cringey(mercurial elite) to unnecesary(verbenae) to reasonable(chakravanti, the tradition's oldest roots) to actually cooler(Society of Aether, a name that sounds even more like a pompous gentleman's club than Sons of Ether). And they were mentioned once and then dropped entirely, like that pronoun sidebar. At least stick to your guns.

As for the disparates, again, explaining the name as sarcasm somehow makes it cringier. But the idea of a new alliance of crafts at least makes them more useful than them just being around or dead like before.

And just for the record 1) You can find meritocratic vampire societies in the Anarchs. Still full of conniving monsters. 2) I actually like the idea of new world Furies being trans-inclusive while the old Greek cairns are run by TERFs. Adds tension to the group.
            Wait why did they change the Virtual Adepts name?

Comment

• Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

Wait why did they change the Virtual Adepts name?
              Because it is soooooo dated. It sounded hip and cutting edge in the 20th century. Here in 2020 it sounds like something quaint grandpa would say.

From what I have read, Brucato (the writer) was given a bit of latitude with cannon. But he was still bound to certain trademarks. In the Virtual Adepts section, he writes how they like to refer to themselves as Mercurial Adepts. But the logo for that section is still emblazoned as Virtual Adepts with the same symbol. All the sects are like that.The company that owns/owned the game wanted to preserve trademarks.

Which leads me to a tangential question. Are these names under trademark anymore? The fine print for M20 lays no claim to Tremere of Order of Hermes, and does notmention any "used by permission of Atlas Games" for use of the words Certamen, Flambeau, etc.Back in the 90s they did. My copy of the first Order of Hermes tradition book has all of that. In the reverse, every single current Ars Magica book mentions "used by permission of White Wolf" for Order of Hermes (which is all that game is about), Tremere, and even Doisettep (even though WW destroyed it and Atlas renamed it).

With all the buying and selling of the former WW properties, does anyone even know anymore.

Comment

• Personally, “Virtual Adepts” doesn't feel dated to me. But then again, I have a niece who graduated from High School last year (she was born September 12, 2001); so a decent case could be made that I'm dated.

Comment

• I'd argue that the average 'Virtual Adept' isn't 18. The average 'Virtual Adept' is probably in their early 30's. So 'Dated' isn't really a disqualifier. Besides, the rate that things online are cool and then not is very fast nowadays. We can't have the group change their name every three years. "LOL Mages" "reality memes" "Dank Hackers" "Tech Beys"

I'm very fond of "Computer Wizards" myself.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

• I like it. Then again I’m a Autistic girl that doesn’t like shit changing.

I would like to keep the old names, but it is kind of hilarious that the N.W.O is useing gender Neutral language. A great satire of liberalism.

Comment

I'd argue that the average 'Virtual Adept' isn't 18. The average 'Virtual Adept' is probably in their early 30's.
                      Amusing fact - Dante was 27 in the Horizon book. The narrative dispatch was from 1996 at the time.
                      (Page 9 in Horizon - The Stronghold Of Hope, for reference)

Dante is 50 years old now Time flies.
                      Last edited by Ambrosia; 01-06-2020, 07:09 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                      cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                      EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

• I kinda still like 'Sons of Ether'
                        Just sounds like a power metal band name. And As I see Etherites as like, the Tradition most likely to get their stuff on an album cover besides maybe all the other Traditions it fits well.

Etherite sounds cool
                        Society of Ether reminds me of 'the ivory tower'; Makes a good nickname, but you don't actually want to call yourself that.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

I kinda still like 'Sons of Ether'
                          Just sounds like a power metal band name. And As I see Etherites as like, the Tradition most likely to get their stuff on an album cover besides maybe all the other Traditions it fits well.

Etherite sounds cool
                          Society of Ether reminds me of 'the ivory tower'; Makes a good nickname, but you don't actually want to call yourself that.
                          I like it to.

Comment

Working...
                          X