Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technocratic strike against Malfeas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I did not know any of that. Awesome!

    Comment


    • #17
      "We started what might be turning into a nephandi cult*, but since it's turning a profit, let's ignore it so nobody knows we screwed up" is certainly something I could have expected as a Technocratic plot thread. Just not to such a ridiculously large scale.

      *From a Mage perspective, at least.


      Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seraph du Salomon, Voice on the concordance. Unsubtle man reluctantly participating in the business of Magi. Awakening 2E homebrew http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...=1569864567692

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
        "We started what might be turning into a nephandi cult*, but since it's turning a profit, let's ignore it so nobody knows we screwed up" is certainly something I could have expected as a Technocratic plot thread. Just not to such a ridiculously large scale.

        *From a Mage perspective, at least.
        It's all fun and games until you try to check on SPD and get ambushed by combat fomori with 8s across the board in combat-related Attributes. Or Mockery Changers, either one is probably unpleasant and lethal.

        Comment


        • #19
          I don’t think the Technocracy would do that. The Syndicate is still making A LOT of money off of Pentex.


          The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

          Comment


          • #20
            The Technocracy could certain invade Malfeas and do some damage, but I suspect the fight would be fairly drawn out. Rather than just a quick "one and done" fight it would end up as something longer, as the Technocracy had to take one section of the Realm, occupy it and then try to take the next. And I can't help but imagine that, as the Technocracy's soldiers stayed there in the Wyrm's presence for an extended period of time many of them would end up becoming corrupted by the Wyrm's influence.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
              The Technocracy could certain invade Malfeas and do some damage, but I suspect the fight would be fairly drawn out. Rather than just a quick "one and done" fight it would end up as something longer, as the Technocracy had to take one section of the Realm, occupy it and then try to take the next. And I can't help but imagine that, as the Technocracy's soldiers stayed there in the Wyrm's presence for an extended period of time many of them would end up becoming corrupted by the Wyrm's influence.
              I can't imagine that it would be better than being in a Broken Mirror in those hypothetical "occupied" domains, and quite frankly, being in a Broken Mirror is really damned bad, what with the functionally immortal fomori and all. Given that corruption also acts really easily on Weaver-ish types, I'm guessing that the corruption would happen the exact moment that the TU tried to establish a beach-head in the Realm.

              Comment


              • #22
                Yeah, I think it could happen instantly, though if I were running this as a campaign I'd have it be a sort of slow, creeping corruption as the players (Technocratic agents taking part in this invasion of hell) slowly found all of their allies becoming more and more corrupt and monstrous. I think that would make for a more interesting game scenario. Suddenly I'm remembering Warhammer 40k and how some of the Legions fell to Chaos and became corrupted and twisted. I imagine something similar happening if the Technocracy tried to launch a mass invasion of Malfeas (or the 1000 Hells or somewhere similar).

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                  Yeah, I think it could happen instantly, though if I were running this as a campaign I'd have it be a sort of slow, creeping corruption as the players (Technocratic agents taking part in this invasion of hell) slowly found all of their allies becoming more and more corrupt and monstrous. I think that would make for a more interesting game scenario. Suddenly I'm remembering Warhammer 40k and how some of the Legions fell to Chaos and became corrupted and twisted. I imagine something similar happening if the Technocracy tried to launch a mass invasion of Malfeas (or the 1000 Hells or somewhere similar).
                  Agreed. The corruption of a Technocratic invasion force in Malfeas is liable to be subtle, at first. The worst passions teased out of the agents by the horrors of war. The Wyrm's voice bleeding into the dreams of those agents who make camp in Malfean territory. Seemingly reasonable compromises by officer and common grunt alike, both ethical and tactical. A deal struck with a low-level Bane spirit here, allowing a Union asset to be sacrificed in battle there.

                  The Wyrm doesn't care about the forces in its employ, singly or collectively. The Wyrm plans to corrupt and destroy Everything and Everyone, sooner or later. It would have no qualms about throwing its forces to the wolves - or, in this case, the Mages - if it means getting its hooks into those very invaders. Grant them enough victories, and Union personnel will helpfully take the place of the Malfeans they butchered.

                  Blood for the Blood God. Skulls for the Skull Throne. Doesn't really matter whose blood or skulls, when the result is the same.

                  Even if the corruption is discovered, that just means the Wyrm's enemies will exhaust themselves on killing their own. The in-fighting itself is advantageous to the Wyrm. It worked with the Garou.


                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                    Like the White Howlers in the time of their inevitable descension, it's the story of a great mistake caused by great hubris combined with self-righteousness.
                    Speaking of this. Sometimes you can’t be that confident and self-righteousness, especially facing a much greater enemies, the righteousness is very cheap, in some cases. Negative examples are numerous. Keep logic and calm is very important.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Direct Assault? I really donno.
                      If someone wanted to harm Wyrm... try releasing Wyrd power sources it keeps? maybe also reroute and sterilize the power 'lines', etc.?

                      I mean, even if Technocracy defeats Wyrm, then what? Entropy is a fundamental force of the universe, what u gonna do, take it out? What about other parts of the triad that are gonna go wild in this situation?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X