how do you represent GOD in mage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you represent GOD in mage?

Did you ever give identity to God in some of yours stories? how did it go?

I don't. It either makes the monotheist mages objectively right, or objectively wrong, to define the presence of a supreme deity directly.

What I do, is have beings that might be emanations, or might just be really powerful spirits emulating that because of the belief of all the humans fueling it, such that it remains unclear. Having an old school angelic entity show up, call itself Metatron, and start acting like the mouth of the big G lets you pull lots of narrative threads without getting into answering such a big question conclusively. After all the most hardcore atheist mage still has to tread lightly around a spirit powerful enough to snap its fingers and wipe out the whole PC group in a flash.

Comment

Unless I am doing something directly centered on the Lions of Zion or the Knights Templar, in which case it is a matter of the group's faith/theology, it is a non issue, really. For the past twenty odd years, I have treated the Chorus a Gnostic sect who use mundane/real world religions as gateways to their supposed "higher mystical truth" and the Cabal of Pure Thought as totalitarianists who used the Catholic Church as a method and justification for controlling people the same way the Technocracy uses science/technocratism and social conformity. (I've also long house ruled that "True Faith" is an entirely mundane mortal thing that supernaturals don't get; and my rules for such differ greatly from the 5 level magic power version.)

On the other hand, angels and demons abound, as they are a significant part of Western magical theories and mysticisms.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Clearly, the Storyteller is God Almighty.

Comment

Two data points:

1. Mage 20 has a section dealing with this very topic on p.486: Essential Divinity, Godheads, and the Adversary.

2. Gods and Monsters has an entry for Christ, the Good Shepherd on p.157.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            I don't. It either makes the monotheist mages objectively right, or objectively wrong, to define the presence of a supreme deity directly.
            Or possibly both, if there's two of 'em with slightly different beliefs.

Comment

A number of d10s from 1 to 10.

Comment

If I were ever to run a game of Ascension (Despite my cripplingfear of STing any game), I would opt to portray aspects or interpretations of god as spirits, but have it clear that they are not necessarily the 'real' thing. Sure you can go into the umbria and meet the Father, or the Son, or the Holy Spirit, but you can just as easily find Odin, Zeus, Brahma, and James Bond. Multiples of each, even, for every popular interpretation.

I feel Mage works best when the universal truth is ultimately ambiguous and partially subjective. All paradigms are correct, as long as you're working from the viewpoint of the people that have them. You can find any number of things that might be god, or that claim to be, but it's ultimately up to the character if they want to accept that any of those things actually are.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seraph du Salomon, Voice on the concordance. Unsubtle man reluctantly participating in the business of Magi. Awakening 2E homebrew http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...=1569864567692

Comment

God is what most of my players aspire to be. I really don't worry about the divinity and most of my Mage-games takes place in the past so there are Gods. And if one thinks modern people are pious, one has not read up on the ancient-Greeks.

Comment

I've never had anything purporting to be the monotheistic God appear in a game I've run, but I'm sure if I did I would have it manifest as George Burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                      I've never had anything purporting to be the monotheistic God appear in a game I've run, but I'm sure if I did I would have it manifest as George Burns.
                      Why do I feel only us old people get the reference

Comment

I generally just use this guy: https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Patriarch

Comment

Originally posted by Tuch View Post
                          Why do I feel only us old people get the reference
                          These days, I feel that Morgan Freeman is the more likely go-to.

Comment

The problems with the Patriach are that he's steeped in WtA concepts, and ultimately, boring. For mages he's too easy to dismiss as the creation of human belief (the Celestial Chorus would certainly have no problem believing the Gabrielites shaped the Patriarch to halt faith in the One with a dogmatic entity). For taking the concepts around this seriously in play, "smashing the patriarchy," by giving it a face that you can take on lacks the nuance of actually confronting both social dogma and the value of faith in the Mage metaphysical setting.

He might be worth using as one entity mages encounter if they go searching for a supreme creator, but he certainly shouldn't be the only one unless we're sitting down to get our power fantasy on and saving the world by beating up symbols of ills (which is, lets be clear, its own sort of fun too).

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                              The problems with the Patriach are that he's steeped in WtA concepts, and ultimately, boring. For mages he's too easy to dismiss as the creation of human belief (the Celestial Chorus would certainly have no problem believing the Gabrielites shaped the Patriarch to halt faith in the One with a dogmatic entity). For taking the concepts around this seriously in play, "smashing the patriarchy," by giving it a face that you can take on lacks the nuance of actually confronting both social dogma and the value of faith in the Mage metaphysical setting.

He might be worth using as one entity mages encounter if they go searching for a supreme creator, but he certainly shouldn't be the only one unless we're sitting down to get our power fantasy on and saving the world by beating up symbols of ills (which is, lets be clear, its own sort of fun too).
                              True. My answer wasn't really 100% serious.

Though looking at the current state of religion and politics in my country currently......The Patriach certainly looks like all the mainstream depictions of the Abrahamic God we currently see here.

But yeah, CC are obviously going to have a more nuanced view. Most of my mage chronicles never go above street-level so the ' Nature of God' isn't really an issue that crops up much.

Comment

Working...
                              X