Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being an Awakened mage run in families?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being an Awakened mage run in families?

I’m asking because I heard that the Merovingian bloodline from the movie The Da Vinci Code are actually part of the Celestial Chorus.

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Its not really a blood thing, so much as it is a possible thing from being human. Basically if you're not a superntural then you're a sleeper and not really any big probability thing between blood towards not being a sleeper.

Comment

Awakenings explicitly do not run in families, although there is nothing preventing you from saying that it does pass down through this particular bloodline, then make that into its own Mystery as to why.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn, Contagion RMCs; Scion - Mysteries of the World, Wild Hunt

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Okay.

But what about the Merovingians? Are they a real canon thing?

The die is cast.

Comment

Celestial Chorus Revised Tradition Book, pp. 83–84.

It's mentioned in a section about Legends of the Chorus, and is prefaced with a warning that “the following legends are well known to most Choristers. No Singer has yet discovered the truth behind any of them. Perhaps the future will reveal their meaning, or perhaps they are myth, shaped by belief as much as anything else.”
          Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-25-2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

My own view is that the hard answer is “no.”

However, it’s not really all that outlandish that mages would find themselves attracted to other mages, and in turn, their offspring would be exposed to quite a bit that would predispose them to awakening. In my chronicles, it’s not unheard of for there to be multigenerational patterns of mages

Comment

Dataweaver thanks 😊. So it might just be a myth in-canon.

The die is cast.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                Its not really a blood thing, so much as it is a possible thing from being human. Basically if you're not a superntural then you're a sleeper and not really any big probability thing between blood towards not being a sleeper.
                Except the books have explicitly said in multiple Areas that Awakening is the Legacy of certain families and bloodlines.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  Awakenings explicitly do not run in families, although there is nothing preventing you from saying that it does pass down through this particular bloodline, then make that into its own Mystery as to why.
                  The books mentioned explicitly they do run in certain families, like with Verbena family having a proclivity to producing a witch daughter once every generation.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Eldagusto thank you 😊. That’s what I was wondering.

The die is cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                      Dataweaver thanks 😊. So it might just be a myth in-canon.
                      Not just “might be”. There's a box on the cited page that basically says that unless you're running a Chorister-centric Chronicle, the Merovingian myth is almost certainly false.

Comment

Most of the mage families are actually sorcerers.

You could argue, perhaps, that in magical families avatars tend reincarnate withing the family/ Mages have stronger avatars than the general population so....

Comment

The Verbena certainly do believe that magick runs (or at least that it *can* run) in the blood...but there's no proof of that, and most mage groups don't think this is the case

Comment

Dataweaver cool. I never really got that movie anyway.

The die is cast.

Comment

What movie?

Comment

Working...
                              X