Making a Green Lantern ring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Green Lantern ring

Random thought. So I'm an Etherite and want to make a green lantern ring that works "exactly" as portrayed in the comic books or as close to this as possible. How would I go about it?

The real issue would be that there's no way to get around needing a certain number of successes to make certain (larger and/or more intricate) constructs, so you wouldn't be able to just produce anything and everything at a moment's notice. Otherwise, I think the most rudimentary version of the effect it would be (in M20 terms) Forces 3/Mind 3/Prime 2 effect--Forces 3/Prime 2 to generate not only the green light of the construct, but also the telekinetic power and force that makes it a "hard light" construct, and lasers; Mind 3 to control it all with your mind. The more legit version would be Forces 5/Mind 3/Prime 2, if only to scale up the power and "oomph" of the telekinesis component, enabling you to lift/withstand more. But you're still going to have the issue of not necessarily being able to generate in just one turn a huge locomotive, or a monstrous, Rob Liefeld/90's-esque laser cannon (as Kyle Raynor was so fond of doing).

Sig

Comment

Well, that's the thing. Not only am I thinking how to make the green lantern ring effect. I'm trying to figure out how to make the ring itself. Which is something like a semi intelligent wonder that chooses people and responds to the oath and is limited only by the user's imagination and will.

Given all spheres at 5, unlimited time, and my own sanctum, can I construct it, or would I have to do something as drastic as journey into the Umbra to seek a spirit copy of the ring and use copious amounts of probably prime, spirit, forces, matter, and mind to be able to reform it in physical reality?

Comment

Giving the ring a certain amount of intelligence to act on its own, and actually helps deal with some of the issues of modelling the powers of the ring, is to make it a Talisman type Wonder, since Talismans work on their own Arete rather than a mage's. The Book of Secrets expanded Wonder creation rules also has options for incorporating Backgrounds and Merits into Wonders to represent increased abilities.

So, no, you don't need anything other than the Spheres to cast the effects, Prime 4, and a shit ton of magical resources as appropriate to your Focus.

Comment

As a Storyteller, I would do this:

You need to do the Green Lantern Effects, which mean that you need to do Prime 2, Forces 3, and Matter 4 [complex machinery] or Matter 2 [Simple Objects]

To make a Green Lantern Ring, you need to have Prime 3.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

The ring rolls Arete 10 or the user's willpower, whichever is lower?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOtter View Post
              The real issue would be that there's no way to get around needing a certain number of successes to make certain (larger and/or more intricate) constructs, so you wouldn't be able to just produce anything and everything at a moment's notice. Otherwise, I think the most rudimentary version of the effect it would be (in M20 terms) Forces 3/Mind 3/Prime 2 effect--Forces 3/Prime 2 to generate not only the green light of the construct, but also the telekinetic power and force that makes it a "hard light" construct, and lasers; Mind 3 to control it all with your mind. The more legit version would be Forces 5/Mind 3/Prime 2, if only to scale up the power and "oomph" of the telekinesis component, enabling you to lift/withstand more. But you're still going to have the issue of not necessarily being able to generate in just one turn a huge locomotive, or a monstrous, Rob Liefeld/90's-esque laser cannon (as Kyle Raynor was so fond of doing).
              According to HDYDT, you only need Mind 3/Forces 3 to transform a mental image into a force.

Comment

Working...
              X