No announcement yet.

M20 Technocracy: Reloaded Kickstarter Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly, I'm barely interested in game-related fiction, so reaching "We'll publish more fiction" stretch goal usually leaves me cold.

"No, no, don't look any further, my profile is actually more handsome than me"

Comment

• Likewise. That said, I've already pledged; and I'm already going to get my money's worth out of the Kickstarter. Unless and until they include “add-on” Stretch Goals for things that I'm interested in, I'm not their target audience anymore. (If I was in a situation where physical books were a viable option for me, these latest stretch goals would have been golden. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for a physical library.) If there are those who love game-related fiction and who have been sitting on the sidelines, the novella stretch goals are a good thing to offer.

Comment

• And now we got the PoD coupon for the Companion and the M20 core add-on.

No clue if we'll make it the $5k sprint for the pay bonus...

Comment

• It's funded. $193,630 and 2365 backers.

And on a personal note, this Kickstarter gave me a birthday present (my birthday is Saturday). Five years ago (I think) when the M20 Kickstarter took place, I couldn't justify the funds for a Deluxe Hardcover and had to settle for the standard hardcover. This morning, one of the Deluxe Archivist slots opened up, and I grabbed it. So I'm finally going to get what I wanted to get way back when M20 launched. Happy (early) birthday to me!
          Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-28-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Crap -- Missed pledging for this. How do I use backerkit to get a copy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
              Add me to the "concerned that the response to 'people want to play the evil, literally-backed-the-Nazis group as heroes'
              So you have concerns about people playing or wanting to play ...

In Japan, the Akashic Brotherhood and Dreamspeakers devoted to Shintoism served the empires as spies and assassins
              Akashics and Dreamspeakers?

In Europe, the Iron Circle of the Verbena, preserver of the secrets of the Valdaermen, inserted themselves into the occult societies of the Nazis and began a hunt against rival Awakened, even from among their allies in the Traditions.[16] Hermetics were part of numerous occult societies and threw their weight behind the Party.
              The Order of Hermes largely supported the Axis powers, seeing the influence of occultism in the higher ranks of Nazi Germany as a good sign
              Verbenas and Hermetics?

Several Sons of Ether leant their scientific knowledge to the Nazis and used their funding for their own experiments
              Or SoE?

While modern mages are uncomfortable with the truth, both sides had originally large Axis supporters. Hitler's delving into occult mysteries and the State Shinto mysticism of Japan attracted numerous Traditionalists,
              The Second World War started and the Euthanatoi were the only Tradition to oppose the Third Reich from the beginning actively assassinating mages participating in war crimes
              Or any Traditions mages except Euthanatoi?

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Wo..._The_Ascension

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Euthanatoi#World_War

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Or...#Modern_Nights

is 'let's reboot them as heroes'" list
              Well, you're 20 years behind the times on that. WW decided to create room for Technocratic (anti-)heroic PCs back in 1999. And even then, the Union haven't been portrayed as uncomplicated heroes except in CB: It. X (which was overcompensating for Technocracy: It. X). Come to think of it, even taking into account the years when oWoD was dead, Technocrats have been presented as PC-viable longer than they were antagonist-only.

I'm not against painting the Union in finer shades than the cartoonish villainy of ye olde 1e and giving room for individual Technocrats for being heroes... but, well, one game line over we've got a book about playing the scions of a world-spanning, world-plundering empire of elemental supersoldiers that makes no bones about empires suck.
              Yes. WW games don't have you playing uncomplicated good guys, which is why people are drawn to them. Even the Garou, who are fighting to save the world against the literal manifestation/source of all evil and spiritual corruption, have significant flaws. And in Exalted the Solars, i.e. the presumed "main protagonist" splat, are capable of great evils and were killed and sealed because they threatened to destroy the world.

If you wanna be an Awakened Scientist, you've got, like, two entire traditions and a miscellany of them strewn throughout the others. (There's a surprising number of technomages in the Hermetics, in my eyes. Their science isn't the science the Technocracy would like, but even so...)
              What if I don't want to play a retrofuturist mad scientist/pulp hero or l33t h4xx0r, or a technomage?

With that said, and so I don't seem like I'm just being negative - I'm not at all against stuff like we got in Revised, where the head honchos of the Union had their control disrupted, giving more latitude for the Earth-side personnel to look around and have their "are we the baddies?" moments.
              Well, that seems to be the tone that T:R is going for. At any rate, none of the post-GTTech books save Revised ItX portrays them as unambiguously heroic, so I don't see what you're complaining about.
              Last edited by Czernobog; 06-26-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Yeah.

Let's not try to pretend the Traditions or even the Crafts have never had blood on their hands...

Comment

• Originally posted by Czernobog View Post

So you have concerns about people playing or wanting to play ...

Or any Traditions mages except Euthanatoi?

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Wo..._The_Ascension

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Euthanatoi#World_War
                  Sadly, that reference seems to forget that the whole mess with Voormas, the Auschwitz node and the Consanguinity of Eternal Joy would make "Aliasi" unable to play Euthanatoi too... A pity...
                  Last edited by Alqamar Alaswad; 06-25-2020, 10:57 PM.

"No, no, don't look any further, my profile is actually more handsome than me"

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                    Yeah.

Let's not try to pretend the Traditions or even the Crafts have never had blood on their hands...
                    The traditions and the Crafts aren't running the dominant paradigm.

Comment

• And that excuses them? No, I don't think so.

Comment

• Haven't the Technocracy been playable since the Guide to the Technocracy was published?

I'm not going to judge someone for personally deciding that they don't like the idea of a heroic Technocrat, and would prefer not to play them. That's a personal choice. But it's been an option for a very long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by kalinara View Post
                          Haven't the Technocracy been playable since the Guide to the Technocracy was published?
                          Technically even before that with Tales of Magick: Dark Adventure not only mentioning Technocratic PCs but having a plot hook tailor-made for them specifically.

I'm not going to judge someone for personally deciding that they don't like the idea of a heroic Technocrat, and would prefer not to play them. That's a personal choice. But it's been an option for a very long time.
                          There's a difference between that and expressing the hope that the new Technocracy book reverts them to their wholly negative early 1e characterisation and makes them unplayable.

Comment

• Hey, I just recently started getting back into Mage, and found out that, when I did, I had just missed this Kickstarter, which I definitely would have backed. Is there still a way to donate and read the manuscript?

Comment

• Backerkit. I don't know if that gives you access to the manuscript; but it gets you the rest.

Comment

• As someone who doesn't really get the Technocracy, this has been an enlightening thread.

One issue I have with playing them is that, as I understand it, they are all supposed to have the same paradigm... so they all, in theory, do magick in the same way.

Which feels kind of restrictive to my tradition-loving heart because, well, what if I have an idea for how an effect is done but another technocrat player has a different idea? which one of us is not doing it right? It seems like technocratic PC's should have a "spell list" to reflect the idea that they all do it the same way.

Or am I misunderstanding something about the Technocracy?

Comment

Working...
                                X