Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some really weird things you could do with 1st dot spheres?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some really weird things you could do with 1st dot spheres?

I've been thinking a lot about what sort of things a person could pull of if they knew about 'all the details' of something by using a first dot sphere effect, like someone with Forces 1 and Matter one with a revolver to effectively fire it full auto, maybe taking three successes. What are some other really out there ideas?

I tend to think of 1st dot spheres as tools to incorporate into more mundane (by certain definitions of the word, anyway.) A cat burglar with life 1, for example, can know exactly where the security guards are at any point in time. Correspondence 1 would make risky climbs, jumps and leaps easy as pie, assuming the physical traits can back it up of course.

Imagine what a forger or counterfeiter could do with matter 2. They would be able to learn everything about the item they're recreating.

I'm not sure what it says about me that all of my examples are criminal in nature.

Comment

Correspondence 1: Get a 360 degree view of surroundings, so you could fire a gun without looking or keep track of an entire room full of people. Sense connections between people and objects (or other people), so you know what (or who) is important to them. Also, Correspondence 1 is an awareness of space, which doesn't care if your normal senses could detect something; you can navigate or fight perfectly in the dark.

Entropy 1: The ability to sense lies is very useful for detective work. Ask a lot of probing questions that can "feel around" truths the subject would rather hide. You also know which locks/support beams/windows/computer systems are degrading or most likely to fail, which makes subverting them easier.

Forces 1: Overhear conversations otherwise impossible to hear. Sense heat signatures (like from bodies) behind walls, or lines of electricity running through them (if a sensor is attached to a door that might trip an alarm, you know it's there and where the circuitry goes). Figure out exactly where a gunshot came from via sensing sound or air currents. See in near darkness by sensing the minute amounts of light invisible to the naked eye (like nightvision goggles; also works with heat signatures).

Life 1: Better information means better mundane first aid. Find the person under the most stress due to bodily concerns (pain, needing to defecate/urinate, chemical imbalance, etc.), use that against them. Exploit weak points in a fight. Figure out when someone is lying based on physiological changes. Know which person's skin has absorbed gunpowder in the last few minutes (even if they washed their hands). Find edible plants and animals in a survival situation.

Matter 1: Find hidden compartments or secret doors. Know exactly which tumblers to hit to pick a lock. Spot finger prints at a glance, match them against the pattern of oil on a person's skin. Know at a glance who in a room has a concealed weapon. Find weak walls or loose floorboards. Read letters without opening them, or cheat at cards by knowing which cards are where. Plant an object on a person, then track them through a crowd by following it (may require Correspondence 1).

Mind 1: Sensing emotions is almost child's play. Know who is anxious, confident, or harboring malign intent. Mind 1 also allows for maintaining multiple parallel mental processes going. While engaging in a conversation with one person, be feeding info to people by text message under the table or in your pocket. (Combine with Forces 1 to know what the phone says without looking at it). Solve a complex puzzle while in the middle of a gunfight or death trap.

Prime 1: Charge an item with magick, then use it to track its carrier's movements (like the Matter example above). Pick a murder weapon out by its foul Resonance. Know when a person has been preyed upon by a vampire by their depleted Quintessence.

Spirit 1: Get clues about a location by what spirits gather there. Find a ghost's Fetter by the spiritual power it contains (or by combining with Correspondence 1 to trace connections).

Time 1: Perfectly time a jump through some hazard, over a gap, or onto a moving target. For that matter, hit a moving target easier with a ranged weapon. Determine if you've lost time (like through blacking out), and how much time was lost. Figure out how long it takes to accomplish a task or travel a distance, so you can factor it into calculations later.

Comment

That's a nice list! I remember one of my players was using Time 1 to aid with their stealth by ducking behind cover at the perfect moment. Entropy 1 and mind 1 alone have to be my favorite first dot spheres just from their sheer utility between lowering the difficulty for most rolls, gathering information and solving puzzles.

Comment

I'd say Time 1 should allow to know how old (or young) an object or a person is. Some analysis in regard to events, happenings, and tasks - when it occurred, at what stage it is, when it will end - seems appropriate as well.
          Time 1 and Correspondence 1 (or 2) could give an idea how long a journey will take.
          Correspondence 1 for knowing where the Mage is, in relation to a smaller or greater area.

Comment

The 'weirdest' thing you can do with purely level 1 spheres only, nothing else involved?
            Use them offensively on a target.

Remember that you can share those senses by touch - so if you need to get somebody temporarily dazed and confused for some reason, hit 'em with an overload of those senses. Depending on how your Mage actually senses those things of course, but visual variants would be the most effective.
            M20 has rules on force-sharing those senses on unwilling targets.

Mind you that if you use that on sleepers, it becomes a rare case where level 1 spheres actually get vulgar.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
            cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
            EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

It's actually kinda terrifying how powerful mages are when you have an imaginative player, even as a starting character.

Comment

Entropy and Life one to poke/slap/jab someone at just the right moment and angle to get them to choke on their gum or even saliva.

Spirit and Mind to figure just the appropriate song at the right place to attract or please spirits of a specific reasonance, do this enough and you could probably induce a Pavlovian response, especially imagine if you eventually get a crowd around it, like a daily or weekly memorial for a tragedy or some sort of hip hop or break dance style busking. It could even result in regular crowds/tips at its most basic function, or inciting riots.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Entropy 1 (possibly with Mind 1) could check if a person is deluding (lying to) herself or himself.

Comment

IIRC the information you could obtain from the 1st dot of a sphere also could give you bonuses to certain rolls (abilities and skills mostly, I think) but the knowledge could be used in many ways to act if you were creative enough. I was still more a fan of Awakening and the 'Practices' it associated with each dot (First dot being knowing, unveiling and compelling for example. It maintained that same 'you have to be creative to use it effectively' but gave you more options and made you feel more.. magical.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
                      The 'weirdest' thing you can do with purely level 1 spheres only, nothing else involved?
                      Use them offensively on a target.

Remember that you can share those senses by touch - so if you need to get somebody temporarily dazed and confused for some reason, hit 'em with an overload of those senses. Depending on how your Mage actually senses those things of course, but visual variants would be the most effective.
                      M20 has rules on force-sharing those senses on unwilling targets.

Mind you that if you use that on sleepers, it becomes a rare case where level 1 spheres actually get vulgar.

Comment

Working...
                      X