Standardizing Node Rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standardizing Node Rule

So one thing that bugged me with the node rules was they don’t give you a default on how frequent you get quintessence or dross. It was meant to help, but it would have been infinitely more helpful to have a default with strong encouragement for house ruling it.

How often do you have quintessence regenerate?

My basic suggestion is I guess using Freeholds as a baseline.

It is a time for great deeds!

I don't have a lot of input on what the ideal baseline should be, but something I do:

"Natural" Nodes have a higher one than Prime created ones. This helps to maintain the setting conceit that mages covet Nodes in the possession of other mages/supernaturals. If a Prime Master can just turn any compatible Sanctum into a Node, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to go chasing after existing ones.

Comment

Charles Siegel explores several ideas in Sources of Magic and expands on the Book of Chantries system for customizing Nodes.

As for having a baseline Quintessence, the Node background will offer suggestions. Since Quintessence is needed to make Wonders and is also useful in lowering casting difficulties, it's best to have a range. That way, a 'Quintessence is fairly easily available', 'Quintessence is somewhat available' and 'Quintessence is rare' can all be effective chronicle assumptions. Think of those as the equivalent of low-magic, medium magic, and high-magic settings in Dungeons and Dragons.

Sources of Magic has several example nodes as well--including merits and flaws that relate to making those Nodes sites for other supernaturals like a Freehold for Changelings.

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...rces-of-Magick

Comment

Working...
      X