New Horizon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Horizon

So I know talk about either ignoring the avatar storm or having it be temporary. But a very briefly discussed part of the conversation is the tabula Rosa Horizon. How long before the factions start popping up replacement realms?

Well the old ones where built over hundred of years, so it might take a while.

Comment

They've already started. VE had a "new COP" before the Storm subsided (courtesy of Senex allowing them to use Euthanatoi prized Shallowing, Ravana's Navel).

It takes seriously strong magick, but there are seriously strong mages out there

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
        Well the old ones where built over hundred of years, so it might take a while.

That is why this is such an interesting time! No mage still human can remember a time when there was such a freeslate for the Horizon Frontier! It could involve a whole Chantry (well Multiple depending on the scope) and you could do it progressively over the course of a whole chronicle, or multiple.

Also imagine part of the game could be treasure hunting the scattered wonders from fallen Horizon Realms to help build upon a new world.

I was thinking about how I liked the idea in revised that some Avatar shards after the Reckoning got rolled up into some ephemera and appeared as gods and spirits in the Umbra, I will combine that with the idea I heard about from the new Mage MET Metaplot (say that five times fast) where they introduced the concept of Gossamers, basically weird places implied to be fragments of Horizon Realms that fused with places on Earth creating territories with odd alternate rules, this would be a perfect dominion for those avatar embodiments.

And the discussion on Mage the Podcast about the Digital Web had them give their opinion that with the exponential increase in the relevance of the internet their would be a crowding of the Digital Web, but I always figured it would be kind of the opposite, more web would be available, though more spirits/emanations/webbeasts would spring up from increased sleeper activity.

But it would be fun being involved in the ground floor of making Horizon Realms! Mages playing god again, not learning their lesson of hubris!

Some Horizon Realms were made by solitary mages, or inherited from Mentor to student, like Taftani I believe were more of this tradition making Horizon realms with the help of Bound Djinn and other spirits. But with the establishment of the Traditions they seemed to back major efforts for Tradition backed Realms, or Realms backed by the Council themselves.

Comment

I was listening to the Mage podcast and they dropped a bit of lore I either didn’t know or forgot about, that Horizon realms are relatively new as in they didn’t start till after Dark Age Mages and they start building up till the Avatar Storm. But wasn’t Doissetep and Horizon already around by the time of the First Cabal or Fragile Path Fame? So maybe they were just rare as few knew about the spirit world till the traditions united and they shared knowledge of cosmology.

Comment

The OoH believed that it wasn't right for them to go beyond the orbit of the moon. Doissetep IIRC was their first Horizon Realm.

Comment

Also Doissetep, the Chantry, existed originally in the phisical world. It's mentioned in the DA timeframe. It was transported to Horozon afterwards

Comment

I remember mages used to be limited to Lunar Orbit, did that make the Moon on the Horizon then back in the day?
                Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                Also Doissetep, the Chantry, existed originally in the phisical world. It's mentioned in the DA timeframe. It was transported to Horozon afterwards
                Oh yeah Good Point I forgot about that! Hmm so some of the older Horizon Realms could have been magicked up Chantries/Sanctums that eventually became a Horizon Realm.

What about essentially Horizon Realm like places that aren't actually located on the Horizon, like those 4 seasonal Realms under the stewardship of the Verbena.

Comment

I'm all about the Horizon, as is evident by my handle. Players need a place to be Magickal. Storytellers need stock monsters and a place where they can be encountered. On Earth, every human adversary you create requires an investment of mental energy and a roleplay performance to keep players immersed in the game. You are eventually going to want to put the players up against a horde of "goblins", or whatever, for fun repeatable combat.

Funny. Had I not come across this post, I would not have thought of my next chapter for our current chronicle. Since I did not incorporate the Avatar Storm into my campaigns (keeping Threat Null), I never considered the opportunity presented by the storm's end. A castle built on a Horizon Realm once housed a small Chantry with some Acolytes and one or two Mages who resided their permanently. Other Mages from the Chantry spent most of their time exploring for more resources, bringing artifacts back for the scholarly Mages to study. A cosmological disturbance prevented the return of the adventurers. They are unaccounted for. Only the Mages in the castle know what route the adventurers last took - on their Ether Ship. Under the strain of confinement, the two Mage occupants of the castle turned to squabbling, each deciding to occupy a different section. The Acolytes were forced to pick sides.

Hungry monsters resembling bipedal hyenas recently emerged from their caves, having also been trapped by the storm. Players have to make contact with the two Mages inside. One of them can't be trusted. Each has at least Mind 1, so there is some challenge for the players in discerning their motives. Or one is straight up Marauder and thinks herself trustworthy. Better yet, there used to be three Mages until one was fed to the monsters. The only way to verify the claims offered by the two surviving Mages is to find the people who left on the Ether Ship.

Problem - Only a Void Engineer scout ship has the ability to facilitate communication between the players and the adventurers who they need to question. One or two Mages operate the scout ship with an EC crew. The Technocrats on the scout ship will present themselves as being in a similarly difficult situation, trying to convince the players that there is a relationship of mutual need, on which lasting trust can be built. If the players accept the help of the Void crew, everything they say to the stranded Tradition Mages can be overheard, recorded and later relayed back to the Earthly Technocracy. The PDC ship captain says he will not do this, claiming some ongoing disagreement with the NWO.

The monsters would be happy to eat the occupants of the Void Ship, if the players can convince the crew to land, keeping Tradition business secret. Who says Mage isn't really WoD or about personal horror?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    I was listening to the Mage podcast and they dropped a bit of lore I either didn’t know or forgot about, that Horizon realms are relatively new as in they didn’t start till after Dark Age Mages and they start building up till the Avatar Storm. But wasn’t Doissetep and Horizon already around by the time of the First Cabal or Fragile Path Fame? So maybe they were just rare as few knew about the spirit world till the traditions united and they shared knowledge of cosmology.
                    I don't think it is just Cosmology, though. There's a similar conceptual foundation to the idea of Subjective Reality and the idea of creating your own pocket dimension with a custom reality. The two ideas likely developed side by side with each one reinforcing the other, so it makes sense that we'd see Horizon Realms pop up much, much more in the lead up to the Ascension War.

Likely there were Horizon Realms before, some of them seem to be built on the remains of other things after all, but they weren't understood to be Horizon Realms until later.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

I'm bummed that Horizon (the realm named Horizon) and all the Tradition Realms were completely destroyed. Some entire species of Bygones and endangered animals were protected there, so now they're totally extinct forever.

I'm also confused that realms seemingly in many different regions of the Deep Umbra were all simultaneously destroyed by the same Horizon War. How did the Horizon War/Doissetep explosion destroy the COP, for example? Or is it somehow related to the Avatar Storm? What happened?

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                      They've already started. VE had a "new COP" before the Storm subsided (courtesy of Senex allowing them to use Euthanatoi prized Shallowing, Ravana's Navel).
                      Whyyy would he do that?

And when did the Avatar Storm subside?
                      Last edited by Erinys; 02-11-2021, 01:38 AM.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                      My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
                      Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                        I'm also confused that realms seemingly in many different regions of the Deep Umbra were all simultaneously destroyed by the same Horizon War. How did the Horizon War/Doissetep explosion destroy the COP, for example? Or is it somehow related to the Avatar Storm? What happened?
                        It's not 100% sure what happened because a good part of the Avatar Storm drama it's that eartly mages lost contact. But most likely it was the Storm.

Horizon War/Doissetep explosion destroyed or damaged Realms that were either connected trough portals or near. A good example it's what happened in the Digital Web (Virtual Adepts had placed "backdoors" to spy on Doissetep from the Web, when the chantry exploded the whole Net exerienced a "crash" of sorts - don't remember the name - that lasted a few seconds and was only midly anoying for mortals that were unable to acces the inet for seconds, but killed or maimed most of the mages that were inside the Net when it happened).

I don't think Doissetep explosion affected the COP directly, because that would imply there was a portal conecting the two, but indirectly...the Horizon War/Doissetep explosion it's one of the 3 causes of the Avatar Storm (the others being Ravnos death, and the nuke exploding in the Dark Umbra). So you could say there's a relation.

Whyyy would he do that?
                        I imagine the VE made a good case.

1° They're using the Shallowing mostly to figth against Treath Null in the Deep Umbra (AKA. The Spirit version of the Technocratic Union, that exaggerates all of it's evils to the point of caricature - aka. 1° edition Technocracy that come back for more :P ).

VE had to seek aid from the Traditions to fight against it because Treath Null *is* the Technocracy - this means NWO Conditioning makes Technocrats unable to fight them (VE always remove their conditioning, so they don't have that problem).
                        Them being the Union that was left behind also has some dramatic implications (Like, they're the beloved masters and family of the Progenitors, for instance). Add to that the fact Technocrats rarely understand the difference between a human and a spirit that looks like a human (as most Technocrats lack DimSci)

The Technocracy it's in the middle of great internal turmoil, with the NWO and the Syndicate figthing for power, while the rest are rebuilding their power structures and agenda. Meanwhile Treath Null works with inhuman efficiency, has the psychological "upper ground" (so to speak), and has all the firepower the Union left on the Umbra (at least). Decisive action needed to be taken, and the VE judged that the TU simply isn't in a shape to take it.

The Tradition Archmaster would have little problem aiding against the "Technocracy but worse".

2° VE probably can offer all sorts of resources as reward, conversely they can be a pain in the ass if they decided to take it by force.

VE are the most militarily powerful Convention, that they had to *negotiate* here I take as a testament of both their desperation and the power that Senex wields as an Archmaster.

Even being an Archmaster, it's understandable Senex would rather let them pass, to do something that actually needs to be done anyway (keep Treath Null at bay), rather than risk a conflict that would gain him nothing, even if he was able to keep the line.

And when did the Avatar Storm subside?
                        In M20. Kinda

The Avatar Storm subsiding it's supposed to be an option (alongside with it continuing or never having happened in the first place), however the book says 20 anniversary standard approach it's to assume that it did happened, and then latter subsided.
                        Last edited by Aleph; 02-11-2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

I sure as heck hope Senex lectured them about their role in causing the Avatar Storm and shredding millions of souls.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                          Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

"I will let you use the shallowing on the condition that you attend my 10 hour seminar on why you suck, complete with slides. Snacks will be provided."

On a more serious note, in 2nd edition there were small storyline threads that the VE were becoming Nephandic. That's pretty much gone by the time Threat Null rolls around. If it fit the needs of the story, Senex's price could have something to do with that.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

"Snacks may or may not include arsenic and/or peanuts."

But really, nobody needs 20+ more spirit nukes to be dropped on various Shard Realms and goodness knows where else. The Membrane doesn't need to be turned into Avatar Storm x10, nor does it need any gaping holes blown in it. And the world doesn't need Nephandic nodes to be "fixed" from space, splattering their resonance all over the nearest continent. The VEs really do need the lecture, especially if the rank and file have never been told the truth. They have already caused more damage than Threat Null, so their value in fighting it depends entirely on them not playing any more childish games with the cosmos. Given the way that advocates of scientific "progress" always "solve" problems by creating bigger problems, this not a lesson they'll ever figure out for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to "fix" the Avatar Storm by doing something even worse.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              I think they built Horizon during the Grand Convocation. And doesn't Book of Worlds have this claim that Autochthonia appeared out of nowhere like 63 thousand years ago? I don't really believe that it did, though. But there was some realm controlled by Imperial Chinese mages at some point?
                              Last edited by Erinys; 02-14-2021, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X