Mage and Aberrant in regards to universe creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage and Aberrant in regards to universe creation

Level 9 of Prime allows you to create an entire universe and in Aberrant, novas with Quantum level 6 can also create their own universes too. Are Prime and Quantum somewhat the same or do they just have similar properties? Honestly these concepts are just wildly awesome!

Jade Kingdom Warrior

They're similar in the sense that both qualify as the universe's fundamental building blocks, but Prime doesn't exist in the Aeon Continuum and MR nodes don't exist in the World of Darkness.

Which is to say that yes, they're awesome, and yes they're comparable and also mutually exclusive, at least based on default assumptions.

Comment

I remember reading a theory online a while back that Divis Mal got powerful enough to create his own universe and then did so. And eventually became Theion, and then bad things happened. And if you still hold to the WoD being the aftermath of Exalted, then by extension Quantum could have just become Essence become Quintessence. And that would be a nifty way of connecting the two considering they are similar.
      Just my 2 cents however, but that makes a whole lot of cool ideas for me to work with, and I personally like it. >:]

Comment

Divis Mal did create his own universe. The theory was the bit about him becoming Theion and then Malfeas.

Also, while the WoD might be Exalted's future, Exalted isn't the WoD's past.

Comment

I must not have worded it properly. I did mean that the Theion part was the theory.
          I'm not sure what you mean by that last part. They were originally intended to be connected but that was removed from canon before 1e, yes. Hence why I said if you hold to it being WoDs past then you could connect it. Just as some people have Exalted as the prehistory of WoD and some people have WoD as the future of Exalted. As I said it's only if you hold to that, as in it's a theory you could use as headcanon, and would be a nifty way of connecting the two if you wanted to.

Comment

My way of connecting the two is by saying that Czar Vargo (an Etherite who “almost won the Ascension War single-handedly” in the early 20th century with a massive public display of Science) was more successful in an alternate timeline where he was responsible for the Hammersmith Event. That is: the Adventure era, and by extension the entire Trinity Continuum, is an example of what you might get if the Etherite worldview took center stage.

In this hybrid setting, though, the Telluric Energies still stand apart from Prime: while Vargo was responsible for the massive realignment of reality that made Novas, Psiads, and maybe even Talents possible, those are now self-sustaining phenomena in their own right.

(I say “maybe even Talents” because the subtle nature of Talents is such that I could see them as something that always existed in the setting: a kind of Sleeper with subconscious access to something akin to Coincidental Magick. Heck, even the Facets of Inspiration align with the types of Synergy in M20: the Intuitive Facet is Dynamic, the Reflective Facet is Static, and the Destructive Facet is Entropic.)
            Last edited by Dataweaver; 11-25-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightFenrirWulfhart View Post
              I must not have worded it properly. I did mean that the Theion part was the theory.
              I'm not sure what you mean by that last part. They were originally intended to be connected but that was removed from canon before 1e, yes. Hence why I said if you hold to it being WoDs past then you could connect it. Just as some people have Exalted as the prehistory of WoD and some people have WoD as the future of Exalted. As I said it's only if you hold to that, as in it's a theory you could use as headcanon, and would be a nifty way of connecting the two if you wanted to.
              What I mean is that there's material in Exalted that hints at the World of Darkness being a potential future, but the World of Darkness itself (despite a few hints) is very clearly not Exalted's future. It's just a matter of how material was presented. Most of it was in first edition material.

The explicit links only appeared in ads and was deliberately dropped during development as you say, but stuff was still getting thrown in the books. It just wasn't done as a "this is definitely how it will turn out" but more like "this could happen if things don't improve" and the even more likely outcome was apocalyptic.

Edit: This was somewhere in the 1e Storyteller's Companion
              Last edited by Resplendent Fire; 11-25-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                My way of connecting the two is by saying that Czar Vargo (an Etherite who “almost won the Ascension War single-handedly” in the early 20th century with a massive public display of Science) was more successful in an alternate timeline where he was responsible for the Hammersmith Event. That is: the Adventure era, and by extension the entire Trinity Continuum, is an example of what you might get if the Etherite worldview took center stage.

In this hybrid setting, though, the Telluric Energies still stand apart from Prime: while Vargo was responsible for the massive realignment of reality that made Novas, Psiads, and maybe even Talents possible, those are now self-sustaining phenomena in their own right.

(I say “maybe even Talents” because the subtle nature of Talents is such that I could see them as something that always existed in the setting: a kind of Sleeper with subconscious access to something akin to Coincidental Magick. Heck, even the Facets of Inspiration align with the types of Synergy in M20: the Intuitive Facet is Dynamic, the Reflective Facet is Static, and the Destructive Facet is Entropic.)
                This reminds me of ending my MageRev chronicle with a gigantic paradox explosion and plans to reboot the campaign with the same characters in Mage: The Awakening (working by MTAw's rules) but it came out long enough afterward that the group had pretty much dissolved at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post

This reminds me of ending my MageRev chronicle with a gigantic paradox explosion and plans to reboot the campaign with the same characters in Mage: The Awakening (working by MTAw's rules) but it came out long enough afterward that the group had pretty much dissolved at that point.
                  Yeah, first rule of GMing no plan survives contact with the Players.

Comment

True, although this had more to do with people moving away and having other demands on their time.

Comment

Working...
                    X