Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question concerning Gods and Monsters and Familairs with dots less than 3.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning Gods and Monsters and Familairs with dots less than 3.

Am I missing something?

The M20 book doesn't really mention Familiar creation, just how much paradox/quintessance, and RP guidelines.

Gods and monsters does mention a 25 freebie point familiar costing 3 background dots (and 3 quintessance/wk)

But it also mentions 10 freebies per dot as an example.... the math doesn't add up, so I'm not sure if the section means.... you MUST set 3 dots for a Gods and Monsters Familiar, disregard the book if you set the background dots otherwise.

Also, AFAIK unless you have very high levels of prime, you need a very high level personal node and avatar to afford a familiar beyond even 1 dot. (Unless I'm mistaken).

So, how does a 1 dot familiar work? (Do I have to bother even stating it? I could just assume 1 dot means it aint rolling ever, and outside of paradox soak/quintessance cost it has no relevant mechanics)

Thanks

Lol you want M20 to make sense....

Comment

Worse...he want's familiar rules to make sense :P
      Here we don't do that.

Now, jokes aside. I do remember Gods&Monsters familiar rules being a mess

Originally posted by uriel
      Gods and monsters does mention a 25 freebie point familiar costing 3 background dots (and 3 quintessance/wk). But it also mentions 10 freebies per dot as an example.... the math doesn't add up, so I'm not sure if the section means.... you MUST set 3 dots for a Gods and Monsters Familiar, disregard the book if you set the background dots otherwise.
      In this case, knowing how Mage rolls, I would say that it costs 3 because it's higher than 20 but lower than 30, and you can't have half a point. So it rounds up. A 35 freebie would cost 4 dots and 4 Q/w, a 15 freebie would cost 2 dots and 2 Q/w

So, you get 10 freebies per dot.

Also, AFAIK unless you have very high levels of prime, you need a very high level personal node and avatar to afford a familiar beyond even 1 dot. (Unless I'm mistaken).
      That depends a bit on the ST because the potency and scarcity of Nodes it's a setting choice. Still, yeah, having a powerful Node would be a very good investment if you want a powerful Familiar

Having Prime would be good too. Even at 1 it allows to detect Quintessence sources to feed your familiar, and consume your HP to gain Quint if you're in a pinch.

Avatar wouldn't be necessary, that would just allow you to feed it faster - and I don't think you need to give all the Quint in one shot.
      Last edited by Aleph; 12-04-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

May I recommend Forged by Dragon's Fire? It treats familiars practically like playable characters with regard to how deep and robust their creation goes -- it might prove a good companion to your reading of Gods and Monsters.

Sig

Comment

Working...
        X