Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happens To The Mage's Soul After Death?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post

The headcanon I posted earlier is sort of similar. With the Psyche and Shadow as the tethers that keep the soul from Transcending, if they fall to Oblivion the soul is cut free to Transcend. Oblivion really is a destructive and annihilative force- it isn't a gateway to anything- but what it eats are the things that keep souls from passing through the real gateway.
    Do you mean the soul just loses their Passions and Fetters, or that they actually lose the psyche and shadow? Do they receive new ones somehow? If not, how could such a damaged soul reincarnate? It seems like it would require the Spell of Life with multiple Tem-Akhu before it'd be viable again.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
    My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
    Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post

Do you mean the soul just loses their Passions and Fetters, or that they actually lose the psyche and shadow? Do they receive new ones somehow? If not, how could such a damaged soul reincarnate? It seems like it would require the Spell of Life with multiple Tem-Akhu before it'd be viable again.

Well the Psyche and Shadow don't really present any element of the soul as an eternal reincarnating thing, instead they represent aspects and memories of the most recent life. That leaves a lot of room for headcanon about what they are and how important to the overall integrity of the soul they are. Is the psyche the part of the soul that interfaces with the world, or is it the shape that part of the soul takes on in this life?

The way I view it, the Psyche and Shadow are specifically just the parts of the soul that don't want to move on, either because they don't want to let go or they don't want to continue at all. That's why, although they have the complete memories of life, certain emotions (Passions) and things (Fetters) eclipse everything else. Most of the soul, including the Avatar and Eidolon, has checked out, we are playing as the obsessive and self destructive parts that haven't. The Psyche and Shadow are not complete organs of the soul, they are like skin that has grown into a bandage or the thorns on a burweed seed. If they are torn off the soul loses character but not integrity. Much of the uniqueness and personality of the most recent life is lost.

I don't want to portray the Psyche and Shadow as if they don't matter. In a game that focuses on identity, like Wraith does, that loss is of paramount importance. If they die the loss matters and the change that is forced on the soul matters, but the soul only changes it does not reduce.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. That is a new interpretation.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
        My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
        Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Working...
        X