Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick questions about effects

Hi.

I have two different questions regarding effects. I will put them on the same topic to save space in the forum.

1. Is it possible to invoke multiple effects using the same sphere in a single roll? Example: I want to fire my bullet with more power (Forces), but with a silencer effect (Forces too).

2. Changes made with Matter are de-made when the duration finishes? If I turn lead into jello for whatever reason and have only the basic successes (1 turn duration), would my jello return to be lead in the next round?

For number one, I don't see why not. Any successes above what it would cost to silence the shot can just go to damage.

And for the second, that's how I run duration. It allows some pretty nasty things, but I think of it as a feature. Turning something into a brittle material for a turn would be more coincidental than forever. It also is super fun to make something incredibly stable out of not normally stable stuff. Give it to a person you dislike, end the effect and suddenly their day just sucks.

Comment

These are both kinda "it depends" sorts of questions:

1) The same Sphere isn't as important as a cohesive effect. You can only cast one effect per turn (without boosts like certain Wonders). But that can be as simple or complex an effect as you want, and that fits your Focus. If you ST accepts "Hollywood Assassin" as an effect where you use Forces to silence a gun and Entropy to do extra damage by knowing just where to shoot? Go for it. The big practical limitation that reins in getting too creative is rolling enough successes (the more you add, the more you're going to need one way or another).

2) "Changes" is hard to judge. If you use Matter to break something, it doesn't auto-repair itself when duration ends, just like doing damage to a person doesn't automatically heal itself if you don't sink some duration into it. So some changes are "instant" and permanent unless something changes it back. Transmutations tend to revert based on duration. There isn't a real bright line between the two. The best rule of thumb I can come up with is if the final state is something "natural" for the starting object, it will stay that way without duration, otherwise it will revert. Using Matter to bend a sword doesn't need duration. Swords bend "naturally" if they're abused or improperly constructed. Turning a steel blade into silver because werewolves isn't going to last forever because steel doesn't turn into silver

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        These are both kinda "it depends" sorts of questions:

1) The same Sphere isn't as important as a cohesive effect. You can only cast one effect per turn (without boosts like certain Wonders). But that can be as simple or complex an effect as you want, and that fits your Focus. If you ST accepts "Hollywood Assassin" as an effect where you use Forces to silence a gun and Entropy to do extra damage by knowing just where to shoot? Go for it. The big practical limitation that reins in getting too creative is rolling enough successes (the more you add, the more you're going to need one way or another).

2) "Changes" is hard to judge. If you use Matter to break something, it doesn't auto-repair itself when duration ends, just like doing damage to a person doesn't automatically heal itself if you don't sink some duration into it. So some changes are "instant" and permanent unless something changes it back. Transmutations tend to revert based on duration. There isn't a real bright line between the two. The best rule of thumb I can come up with is if the final state is something "natural" for the starting object, it will stay that way without duration, otherwise it will revert. Using Matter to bend a sword doesn't need duration. Swords bend "naturally" if they're abused or improperly constructed. Turning a steel blade into silver because werewolves isn't going to last forever because steel doesn't turn into silver

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Working...
        X